Disney Dining Plan Fans

I really like the dining plan. We figured out costs before we set up our vacation. And when we were going for 8 nights, I figured we would do about 4 sit down restaraunts. I figured how much that would cost based on what we would order and our CS meals. I then compared it to the dining plan cost and the dining plan cost less. So it was a no brainer for us to go with the dining plan. Of course when free dining came out it really was a no brainer (though free dining is costing $100 more then before, mainly because we had to move our reservations and no standard rooms were left, plus we added two days).

I really don't see the dining plan as hard to figure out, and I was able to set ours up so we are doing 4 2TS meals (1 out of pocket) and 6 1TS meals (2 out of pocket) and one day with no TS at the moment though if we decide after we get there we want to go somewhere we'll pay out of pocket for it too. It works wonderfully for us since hubby and I enjoy good food and since it is only the two of us we don't mind spending time at Disney having a good meal. Especially since we are there for 11 days, going to the various restaraunts is actually a big and enjoyable part of our park plans.

tabrizia said:
I really don't see the dining plan as hard to figure out, and I was able to set ours up so we are doing 4 2TS meals (1 out of pocket) and 6 1TS meals (2 out of pocket) and one day with no TS at the moment though if we decide after we get there we want to go somewhere we'll pay out of pocket for it too. It works wonderfully for us since hubby and I enjoy good food and since it is only the two of us we don't mind spending time at Disney having a good meal. Especially since we are there for 11 days, going to the various restaraunts is actually a big and enjoyable part of our park plans.

Sounds like you and DH will enjoy some fine dining! I'm jealous! :goodvibes

We haven't actually used it yet but we have it for our December trip. So far I am loving it.

This is cheesy but I like it because it lets me plan and get into the magic months before the trip. Not that you can't plan that early without it but its nice to have a reason to have to. :goodvibes

I know we are not getting the biggest bang out of our buck. Out of 6 TS meals only one is not a character meal. We have two young kids so I know they will love that.

I already know we will use it again for our next trip. This lets us eat places we wouldn't normally. If I did my math right we aren't saving tons but it is so nice to have it totally paid for before we go. That makes a big difference for us.

Shagley said:
There was a thread on the Resort board where someone said that they were paying rack rate for their room (in a Deluxe resort) during the free dining period, but they declined the free dining because they didn't want to deal with it :confused3 Now, I would understand not getting the free dining when you are in a Deluxe resort because a room discount (AAA or APH) would probably be a better deal, but this was not the case. This person paid RACK RATE for the room, but still declined the free dining. To each their own, but I would LOVE to make enough $$ that I could turn down something like free food for a week at Disneyworld because "I don't want to have to deal with it" (but even if I made that much $$, I still wouldn't turn it down).

Did they reveal what they were smoking when they made their hotel reservation?

I agree with the poster that people MAKE it too hard.

There are two sides to this.

#1 The people who MUST get the BEST value out of the plan. Worry about only eating at the most expensive places and squeezing every nickle out of the plan.

Now I am all for maximizing your value ... but give yourself a break and don't worry about it too much!

#2 The people who try to keep track of Child credits vs Adult credits and how many they have spent of each even though Disney does not seperate them. God forbid they spend a C credit (even though there is presently no such thing) on an A meal! To really keep track of this unless you ALL eat at ALL meals you would have to write it all down as it's pooled on the bottom of the reciepts. Hassle, hassle.

Both of those things can be VERY stressful and make it confusing to keep track of.

It is so simple.

Step one - Pay for it
Step two - Make your ressies
Step three - Go and tell your server you are on the DDP and ask for any tips for maximizing and / or exclusions.
Step four - Order, eat & enjoy!

It really is simple. No worrying that the steak entree is too expensive or we are getting low on cash and going through our budget too fast!

I love the plan.

WDWO

wdwobsessed said:
I agree with the poster that people MAKE it too hard.

There are two sides to this.

#1 The people who MUST get the BEST value out of the plan. Worry about only eating at the most expensive places and squeezing every nickle out of the plan.

Now I am all for maximizing your value ... but give yourself a break and don't worry about it too much!

#2 The people who try to keep track of Child credits vs Adult credits and how many they have spent of each even though Disney does not seperate them. God forbid they spend a C credit (even though there is presently no such thing) on an A meal! To really keep track of this unless you ALL eat at ALL meals you would have to write it all down as it's pooled on the bottom of the reciepts. Hassle, hassle.

Both of those things can be VERY stressful and make it confusing to keep track of.

It is so simple.

Step one - Pay for it
Step two - Make your ressies
Step three - Go and tell your server you are on the DDP and ask for any tips for maximizing and / or exclusions.
Step four - Order, eat & enjoy!

It really is simple. No worrying that the steak entree is too expensive or we are getting low on cash and going through our budget too fast!

I love the plan.

WDWO

ITA :thumbsup2 You can make it hard or you can keep it easy. I made ADR's for the places we wanted to eat, not where the food was the most expensive. We were over our TS allowance, so I planned which meals would be paid OOP, and that was it. We did not plan to use the child credit for adult meals, but our CM at CG suggested that we do just that, so I considered it a little :wizard:, but had planned our budget around paying for one adult.

We paid for the plan in January, but I have a short trip in August scheduled, and simply planned to pay for whatever is not covered. Could not be less stressful, and certainly a bargain if your family enjoys TS meals. Once you try to "beat" the system and get the biggest bang for the buck it becomes a job, not a treat.

I have just chosen places that either have good entrees or great deserts. I am going to 4 OOP meals, two breakfasts one at Boma and one at 1900 park fare, one lunch at CRT just to eat at the castle but don't think its worth 2ts and Victoria and Albert's which isn't on the plan. The only trouble is there are so many wonderful looking resteraunts and only 15 days of holiday.

:happytv: :rotfl2: :lmao: :dance3: :surfweb: :moped:

It's easier for us since our two girls will be turing 13 on our trip and we all have adult credits. That being said...I made our ADRs based on our DDP allowances. We plan on eating an early lunch (counter service) each day, with a very light breakfast. So, I have already accounted for my DDP meals...making it very easy for us in Oct. And, any meals not using DDP (and there are a few) will be used taking advantage of my DDE card.
I'm loving the convenience of the DDP!!!

We loved it and found it very easy to use. But we didn't try to get the most bang for our buck either. We ate the places we wanted according to our tastes. Our DD ate off the children's menu, except once when she ordered a burger CS meal. We did not pay OOP for any meals, we used the DP for each of us at every meal. We did not keep up with receipts to see what credits we had left, we had planned out our meals and knew it was all covered. I think if you use the DP with the ease for which it was designed, you will enjoy it and find it makes your vacation much more enjoyable, eating what you want and not worrying about the cost during your trip.

We've never used it before but we are using it in December and I'm really excited about it. I like the idea of not having to check the prices on the menu all the time. Yes, we did pay for it ahead of time but I like not having to think about it when I'm there. Also, I figure I'm paying for the opportunity to eat at restaurants I normally wouldn't go to and for the chance to not eat pizza and burgers every night or split an order of fries because we're trying to stay within a budget.

It's going to put a fresh twist on our Disney experience.

It was definately NOT a hassle for us! Of course, we didn't have to worry about the whole kids/adults credits thing. And we didn't worry ourselves sick over trying to squeeze every last penny out of the plan. We just picked the restaurants we wanted to eat at, ordered what we wanted, and still came out saving a ton of money. We loved the dining plan, and will probably always use it. It was easier for us knowing that all our meals were paid for already!

We absolutely loved the dining plan last time! We got it for free last time but are gladly paying for it on our upcoming December trip! We think it is a great deal! We would never get ourselves to spend the money while we are there to do all the TS meals we can do on the plan. I love not having to look at prices or worrying we are spending too much money! It is so easy to keep track of your meals! You can even use the touring plan worksheet if it will make it easier for you: Click on the page 1 and 2 under MYW Dining: http://www.touringplans.com/UG/freeorganizer.php?showtripplanner= You can highlight how many total meals you have and then cross them off as you use them. :thumbsup2 Worked for us! Oh and my favorite part I think was when we were there in October we got to use the snack credits on F&W Festival. That was great! I am so glad to see all the new snack items added!

We thought the plan was a great deal last year...we got it free! We decided that everytime we go to Disney, we'll get the plan. Two thumbs up!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Cindy's Mom -

Thanks for starting such a positive thread. I am soooo happy to read all 4 pages of guests who either have used DDP and had a wonderful experience with it - or WILL be using it with no hassles anticipated.

Guests who think they can use it well for their party should use and enjoy! Yummy!!!!

Those with different family sizes, ages and appetites should not "force" DDP to work in every situation. It's simply not for everyone.

Unfortunately, the DDP is fodder for the compulsive planners that drive themselves and perhaps the rest of us nuts. No, I am not going to lose sleep if they take away Dole Whips as a snack, and though I was mildly disappointed not to get a ressie at Le Cellier 4 months out on a weeknight, I had so many other great choices, and am eagerly anticipating my trip w/ DD.

I think you see all these "hassle" posts, Cindy's mom, because some can't distinguish what is important and get caught up in minutia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter