Disney Dining Rumors

squirrel4569

DIS Veteran
With the removal of ALL of the perks of staying onsite, plus the recent price increases in APs, additional cost of transportation to and from the airport and the addition of Genie+, I can only guess that the dining plan is the next target for an overhaul.

So what do we think it will be?

A price increase is a given. Probably in the range of 20-30%.

I'm thinking the inclusion of the resort mugs will be gone, snacks will be reduced and beverages will no longer be included with meals.

And they will probably change the names of the plans to something cheesy. Deluxe dining will be Enchanted Dining. Disney Dining Plus will be Magical Dining. The standard plan will be Ohana Dining and the quick service plan will be Fun Dining or something along those lines.

I personally love the dining plan. Hope it's coming back soon. Most certainly a price increase. I'd like to see the mugs stay, especially since all their machines are already RFID prepared anyway. Adult beverages will probably be an add-on service like on the cruises or be in the higher tiers. I hope they provide some more flexibility, although I'm probably asking for too much.

I personally love the dining plan. Hope it's coming back soon. Most certainly a price increase. I'd like to see the mugs stay, especially since all their machines are already RFID prepared anyway. Adult beverages will probably be an add-on service like on the cruises or be in the higher tiers. I hope they provide some more flexibility, although I'm probably asking for too much.

I've loved a lot of the things that used to make Disney special. APs, FP+, Magical Express, MagicBands, etc. All of that stuff combined made it a really special place that set it apart from everything else. They were concerned with the guest experience as second only to the safety of guests in the parks. When they reopened after Covid happened I felt safer there than anywhere else and went back a few times. After my last trip I told my wife that it didn't feel like it used to anymore. With fireworks and parades gone, FP gone, many restaurants closed and the ones that remained open had a different feel, etc, it just felt odd. I said then that I didn't want to come back until things returned to normal. Well now we're seeing that normal isn't coming back. The new normal is paying more for less. I get that in some cases we're still dealing with Covid protocols and I understand that with that some things still aren't like what they used to be, but it's looking like Money is the first Key in the Chapek regime. Cutting staff so the ones that remain are overworked. Removing perks in favor of charged add ons and alienating the core fan base.

I think that Disney will ultimately survive, but I won't be a part of it anymore and that makes me sad. They've priced my family out. With price increases ranging anywhere from 20-80% on some things it's just too much. I totally get the need to make a profit and appease shareholders, and that Disney was already a luxury for many, but this is just beyond anything that I consider to be reasonable. For my family to go on spring break they want $3400 for tickets alone. Add in the $2K in dues I'll pay for my DVC membership, then $450 for Genie+ and I'm at $6000 and I haven't even made it to the park yet. Toss in another $150 for Mears, $170 for PhotoPass, $50 or so for MagicBands and then we get to food. The dining plan was $80 a day per adult as is and only covered 2 meals. Add another $20 for an extra QS meal and we're at another $100 per day. Since we used to go often we would get some souvenirs but not a ton of them, but still typically another $500 (about $100 per person for us), sometimes more, sometimes less. We used to be able to go for less than $5000 for the week including airfare. Those days are long gone.

I've loved a lot of the things that used to make Disney special. APs, FP+, Magical Express, MagicBands, etc. All of that stuff combined made it a really special place that set it apart from everything else. They were concerned with the guest experience as second only to the safety of guests in the parks. When they reopened after Covid happened I felt safer there than anywhere else and went back a few times. After my last trip I told my wife that it didn't feel like it used to anymore. With fireworks and parades gone, FP gone, many restaurants closed and the ones that remained open had a different feel, etc, it just felt odd. I said then that I didn't want to come back until things returned to normal. Well now we're seeing that normal isn't coming back. The new normal is paying more for less. I get that in some cases we're still dealing with Covid protocols and I understand that with that some things still aren't like what they used to be, but it's looking like Money is the first Key in the Chapek regime. Cutting staff so the ones that remain are overworked. Removing perks in favor of charged add ons and alienating the core fan base.

I think that Disney will ultimately survive, but I won't be a part of it anymore and that makes me sad. They've priced my family out. With price increases ranging anywhere from 20-80% on some things it's just too much. I totally get the need to make a profit and appease shareholders, and that Disney was already a luxury for many, but this is just beyond anything that I consider to be reasonable. For my family to go on spring break they want $3400 for tickets alone. Add in the $2K in dues I'll pay for my DVC membership, then $450 for Genie+ and I'm at $6000 and I haven't even made it to the park yet. Toss in another $150 for Mears, $170 for PhotoPass, $50 or so for MagicBands and then we get to food. The dining plan was $80 a day per adult as is and only covered 2 meals. Add another $20 for an extra QS meal and we're at another $100 per day. Since we used to go often we would get some souvenirs but not a ton of them, but still typically another $500 (about $100 per person for us), sometimes more, sometimes less. We used to be able to go for less than $5000 for the week including airfare. Those days are long gone.
I feel you. We've had one visit since covid started (April 2021). My DH said it really simply, the magic is gone.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing the new plan will be more expensive, fewer restaurants accepting it, fewer options / choices for putting your meal together --- and mandatory. (At least for on-site victims guests.)

You didn't add the dining plan to your park tickets ?
Sorry, "Family looking for a nice restaurant for dinner" - it's counter service for you - and you'll be lucky to find a place to sit down and eat it...

I'm so curious to see how this will roll out. Most likely more $$$, maybe paying more for a "deluxe" experience, etc? Time will tell.

I wouldn't be surprised at a price increase, but considering it's already debatable if it's worth it price-wise or not, I'm not sure that will happen. What I do expect is a reduction in perks like the inclusion of resort mugs and no longer including an alcoholic drink with meals. But I hope I'm wrong.

I've loved a lot of the things that used to make Disney special. APs, FP+, Magical Express, MagicBands, etc. All of that stuff combined made it a really special place that set it apart from everything else.
I'm not arguing with the 'special' items list you have here. I understand. But if you look at your list, APs are still here, FP+ started in 2013, Magical Express in 2005, MBs in 2013..... Changes at Disney are constant and these favorites of yours are recent. I have been around long enough to remember the griping and dismay with the FP+ system and the people who hated Magic Bands. Magic, value, and what's special will always be in the eyes of the beholder. Maybe 10 years from now we'll look back and say "I cannot believe they're changing Genie+ for this or that, it worked great!"....

As for the original posters question about the dining plans? I have absolutely no doubt that Disney will bring them back, mostly because it's a customer 'perk' that Disney makes money on. Will the prices go up? Absolutely. A combination of prices going up all around on food and drink items will cause that. And with Disney currently pushing the limits of what most of their customer base will pay for their experience, I would not be surprised to see that 10%-20% increase. I would think (and I have no actual facts here) that they might be waiting until their restaurants and wait staff are back to full strength and capacity before offering the plan for sale. Guess we'll see!

I'm not arguing with the 'special' items list you have here. I understand. But if you look at your list, APs are still here, FP+ started in 2013, Magical Express in 2005, MBs in 2013..... Changes at Disney are constant and these favorites of yours are recent. I have been around long enough to remember the griping and dismay with the FP+ system and the people who hated Magic Bands. Magic, value, and what's special will always be in the eyes of the beholder. Maybe 10 years from now we'll look back and say "I cannot believe they're changing Genie+ for this or that, it worked great!"....
As for the original posters question about the dining plans? I have absolutely no doubt that Disney will bring them back, mostly because it's a customer 'perk' that Disney makes money on. Will the prices go up? Absolutely. A combination of prices going up all around on food and drink items will cause that. And with Disney currently pushing the limits of what most of their customer base will pay for their experience, I would not be surprised to see that 10%-20% increase. I would think (and I have no actual facts here) that they might be waiting until their restaurants and wait staff are back to full strength and capacity before offering the plan for sale. Guess we'll see!

Price increases are a given. I doubt you will see free dining as promotion. I think that promo will be replaced with free genie+.

We all know that the dining plan is more expensive than paying for individual meals as you go. But for those that like to have it all paid for before they go and not have to fret over costs during the trip, it is worth it.

Price increases are a given. I doubt you will see free dining as promotion. I think that promo will be replaced with free genie+.

We all know that the dining plan is more expensive than paying for individual meals as you go. But for those that like to have it all paid for before they go and not have to fret over costs during the trip, it is worth it.

never understood the logic of paying an arm and a leg upfront so you don’t have to worry about paying during the trip…I guess it’s a Jedi mind trick

also keep in mind…it’s not like eating is completely free. Still have alcohol and tips that aren’t included. I think that would frustrate me the most. Knowing I already overpaid for food now I’m having to come out of pocket again to pay the tip.

never understood the logic of paying an arm and a leg upfront so you don’t have to worry about paying during the trip…I guess it’s a Jedi mind trick

also keep in mind…it’s not like eating is completely free. Still have alcohol and tips that aren’t included. I think that would frustrate me the most. Knowing I already overpaid for food now I’m having to come out of pocket again to pay the tip.
When the dining plan was last going it included an alcoholic drink with your meals

I love the dining plan 😃

Still have alcohol and tips that aren’t included.

This was what bothered me the most! We typically eat a lot of signature meals, and for our 8 day drip, extra alcoholic drinks and tips added up to almost $1,000 on top of the dining plan cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter