Disney First Timers on the DxDDP

Day 5 (MK) I currently have a 9:55A at BOG but I just came across an opening at Crystal Palace at 10:20A should I make the switch? I am pretty open food wise, I just wanted to experience the beast's castle.
I say if you want to eat at BOG to see the inside, keep it. I wouldn't skip a meal you want to do just because it isn't getting the maximum value out of the credit.

I don't mind leaving the parks for meals as we have our own transportation but how a signature meal work if we want to go back to the parks for the night time shows? For example, on day 2 (AK) would I have enough time, leaving around 6 to come back for ROL?
With your plan of going to Sanaa, I think you should be fine doing that.

Thank you so much! I am so grateful for your responses!

You all have been so great at helping me make up my mind (and I'll admit, that is not easy!) :goodvibes

I have never and would never buy the Dining plan. Even with 2 teenage boys as part of my family of five.
We do a few character meals and quite a few restaurants and it has never even close to what the Dining plan has wanted to charge me.

Some tidbits when it comes to ADRs in general and the Deluxe plan....sorry if this is repetitive-

the more table service meals you have, the more tipping you'll be doing and I think gratuity will be automatically added with 6 people in your party.

Table service meals take a lot of time out of your day and after 3 table service meals for 4 days straight, you may be OVER IT. I know we are.

Items to note, you won't always be seated at the exact time of your ADR. A lot of times many of the restaurants are delayed, especially the buffet/character meals so know that you will need to build in time to get to your ADR and from your ADR to your next place, fast pass, etc.

The deluxe plan is a lot of food and sitting around, which in my view is less fun time in the parks, or swimming in the pool or whatever. We never do more than 1-2 ADR's per day and if we do 2, it's not two consecutive meals.

Only you and your family will learn what works best and your Disney dining style may change but for a first dining plan/ADR visit, I would do the DDP or QS DDP not the deluxe. You can still have a great culinary experience and have a good amount of ADRs on one of these plans and save your money.

I wish I could "like" your post 1000 times :D
My family eats well on vacation.....we do a handful of character meals and quite a few other restaurants but it is nice to fill up on breakfast and not eat til 5 again....or maybe eat midday. Everyone vacations differently but spending hours dining every single day sounds like work to me. :worship:

Again this is my opinion....if you love a seated nice dinner every night.. go for it and enjoy!:flower3:

I really love this!

I am an adventurous eater but not necessarily a big eater, if I have a big breakfast that usually holds me off until dinner time. I am also mostly vegetarian (I do eat seafood on occasion) but I do have a couple of men in my party with big appetites.
Bravo to you! I've attempted vegetarianism at different times in my life without success. My compromise has been to eat meatless once a week, seafood and fish once to twice, and cut overly processed foods out of my diet. I'm fortunate that the man is fine following my lead for the most part although when we moved recently I found relatively new cans of Chef Boyardee hidden in the back of the pantry. Since both of us are too old to play the Bickersons on this level I just made a point of increasing his life insurance the next time we went over our financial health; passive aggressives ruleeeeee:rotfl:;).

Sounds like you are coming along nicely with your vision of a good time both at the parks and table.
Keep it up:cool:.

Thanks to all your tips and suggestions I’ve been able to come up with what I believe is a pretty solid vacation meal plan for my family and I.

In case anyone cares or is simply curious here’s what I’ve got...
Day 1: Arrival - Hotel Day
(B) Boma 10:55A
(L) Skip
(D) Jiko 6:10P

Day 2: AK
(B) Use snack credits
(L) Satu’li Canteen around 11A
(D) Sana’a at 6:50P

Day 3: EP
(B) Use snack credits
(L) Akershus 1:40P
(D) Les Chefs de France 7:10P

Day 4: HS
(B) Cape May Cafe 8:45A
(L) Skip
(D) Flying Fish 7:05A

Day 5: MK
(B) Be Our Guest 9:55A
(L) Skip
(D) California Grill 5:20P

Day 6: Disney Springs
(B) Hotel food court
(L) The Boathouse 3-4P

Again, a HUGE thank you to everyone who replied and put in their 2 cents! I really appreciate you all! Xx.

I can’t wait!!!

One more question: Does anyone know if I can use left over meal credits after check out?

Planning on saving some of these for the Boathouse.

TIA!

One more question: Does anyone know if I can use left over meal credits after check out?

Planning on saving some of these for the Boathouse.

TIA!
All your credits are good until midnight of your checkout day and since you are not dependent on public transport you can enjoy them well at Boathouse, which is one of my current fav DS restaurants. You'll find much for carnivores, vegetarians and pescatarians. Should you opt for the the raw bar offerings stay away from the house oysters and opt for some of the sourced named versions; the house version are meaty but too briny. We love the fried calamari but now ask for the sauce on the side as it tasted too....much like condiments mixed together incorrectly. The steaks will make the meat eaters happy as well as the burgers. Never had a salad there I didn't like. We tend to opt for the floats and dishes of ice cream for dessert but since you've a large party some of the desserts for 4 might appeal. DGD is dreaming of their shrimp cocktail as well as the one served at FF. The one at FF reads strange but tastes divine.

Awesome looking plans OP. We are also doing DxDDP soon and my plan is similar. We are staying at AKL so have a few breakfasts at BOMA before the parks, then just snacks or slushy drinks during day, and capping off each night with a 2-credit meal. So basically no running around to ADRs during the park days, and only 2 meals a day. We have done this DxDDP once before and it worked perfectly. Have fun!

Having just returned from our first trip with d ddp-we thoroughly enjoyed it!
We had 2 'left over credits'
However they were actually credits which were reimbursed from our terrible experience at Sanaa -so I didn't feel too bad about not managing to use them.
Op-you appear to have your plan all sorted-
But just in case you decide to tinker-
AK-
both satuu canteen & tusker house were amazing

Epcot-
coral reef was an on the day addition; I was literally sat on living with the land and booked the adr-
We were blown away-it was delish.
Akerhus was great also.

HS
I love both Hollywood & vine & 50's diner-not fine dining by any stretch of the imagination-but fab experiences and yummy food.

MK
CRT was a very pleasant surprise. Both the character interaction and food were tremendous.
1900pf at grand Floridian was amazing.

Trattoria al forno at the boardwalk was our number 1 breakfast-the character interaction was incredible & the food & service all wonderful.
10/10

Instead of trying to eat 3 full meals to get your perceived monies worth on a deluxe plan here's another strategy:

Eat a Continental type breakfast, the same kind they serve in CL rooms, via snack credits.
Opt for mostly 1 credit higher priced entree lunches and then go for 2 credit Signature dinners. You won't lose the cost of the appetizer at lunch if you don't want it or feel guilty/sluggish about either eating too much or over paying for the food. As for breakfast can't think of any eateries (beyond maybe a brunch) that serve appetizers so you are safe there, LOL.

As far as dinner is concerned a meal in comfortable surroundings where you are not apt to be given the "bum's rush" (except at BD on Christmas Day...sigh) makes for nice together time that allows you to discuss the day's events and laugh/commiserate whilst planning out that night's future. I dislike many of the desserts available at DW (garish colours and too much "sugah") but a nice dish of fresh fruit with or w/o ice cream/sorbet does fine on this end and is easy to substitute at many restaurants. I will say that so far I can eat any dessert that FF serves with total ease.
Finally don't fall into the TGIF's/Olive Garden's fast food marketing plot of having protein for an appetizer or bread for a starter. Not particularly healthy and leaves less space for the "main event".

Treat your body as the life's engine it is and you'll probably be here long enough to annoy your children and have your grandchildren as your defenders;).

This is all lovely and certainly goals for every day life. But when I'm on vacation, if I want the chocolate cake for dessert, I'm going to eat the damn cake.

I generally do 3 TS meals a day at WDW, and I rarely full so full that I'm uncomfortable. I just eat smaller portions. It means some of my plate goes to waste (because the portions are generally too big for most people), but I'm okay with that and don't feel like it affects the value I'm getting out of my dining credit at all.

This is all lovely and certainly goals for every day life. But when I'm on vacation, if I want the chocolate cake for dessert, I'm going to eat the damn cake.

I generally do 3 TS meals a day at WDW, and I rarely full so full that I'm uncomfortable. I just eat smaller portions. It means some of my plate goes to waste (because the portions are generally too big for most people), but I'm okay with that and don't feel like it affects the value I'm getting out of my dining credit at all.
This strategy is good as well since it works for you:). As a side note I think everyone should have a Marie Antoinette moment ;).

Thanks to all your tips and suggestions I’ve been able to come up with what I believe is a pretty solid vacation meal plan for my family and I.

In case anyone cares or is simply curious here’s what I’ve got...
Day 1: Arrival - Hotel Day
(B) Boma 10:55A
(L) Skip
(D) Jiko 6:10P

Day 2: AK
(B) Use snack credits
(L) Satu’li Canteen around 11A
(D) Sana’a at 6:50P

Day 3: EP
(B) Use snack credits
(L) Akershus 1:40P
(D) Les Chefs de France 7:10P

Day 4: HS
(B) Cape May Cafe 8:45A
(L) Skip
(D) Flying Fish 7:05A

Day 5: MK
(B) Be Our Guest 9:55A
(L) Skip
(D) California Grill 5:20P

Day 6: Disney Springs
(B) Hotel food court
(L) The Boathouse 3-4P

Again, a HUGE thank you to everyone who replied and put in their 2 cents! I really appreciate you all! Xx.

I can’t wait!!!
The updated plan looks great!

if I want the chocolate cake for dessert, I'm going to eat the damn cake. I just eat smaller portions. It means some of my plate goes to waste (because the portions are generally too big for most people),
I'm in total agreement. We tried the deluxe plan because we love appetizers, small plates to share and experience and when on vacation, a spot of dessert (usually shared). But having been raised to clean your plate, food is expensive and people are starving, etc. (all true), the portions are simply too large, so I have to allow (mental mind game) myself to leave food on the table. Honestly if I doggy bag, I seldom eat it so why go to the trouble. So since the kids are now 21, we do the Deluxe only if it's a 1-2 day trip where we're shopping, doing more resort activities (pool, spa, fishing) and not really doing the park. I can't ride or enjoy myself walking around in the heat, eating like this. When it's a park and ride kinda of vacation, we skip the dining plans altogether.

You are going to have a phenomenal vacation, and you daughter will love Akershus.

My personal opinion is the Deluxe Meal plan is way to many meals..........we tried it once and spent our entire trip working around ADR's. You've already noted the issue with your AK day........way to much travelling for my taste. However, a way to compensate is schedule 2 credit (or Signature) dining. That includes places like CRT and Hoop Dee Doo............you could also do a couple of QS meals but that kind of defeats the purpose of the Deluxe plan.........doesn't it? Also 6 people on the meal plan........maybe you want to allow the adults to split up? Also keep track of your snack credits............use them evenly throughout the trip...........don't wanna be left with 10 snack credits on your departure day.o_O

Hey its your vacation........so no one should/will tell you what to do. I'm just worried that food will become the over-arching point of the trip..........there's so much more to WDW :)

Doug :goofy:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter