Disney Genie announcement

Is this new system a complete "nope" for late risers?

Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm the opposite of an early bird, and the previous fastpass system was great for me, I could book my fastpasses for later in the day in advance, and get to the parks late morning.

But this new Genie+ system looks like it will be of very little use to the late risers like myself. If I can't book the "lightning line" until day of, by the time I get to the parks I'm guessing the available times won't be till much later on, and as you can only hold one at a time, it doesn't seem like it will be worth it at all. So I'll just have to do standby.

Am I understanding that correctly, or have I got things wrong? There's been a lot written about this already and I'm atill ploughing through it all!
This is correct. Question is if we can book/buy lightning passes from the hotel or not.

This is correct. Question is if we can book/buy lightning passes from the hotel or not.
As long as you pay $25 for a hotel connection to your phone....probably....possibly coming soon....or not at all, but we wouldn't be suprised if it did!

I love the Max-pass type feature of the Lightening Lane. I'm extremely annoyed that it does not include the big rides. That pretty much means in our 10 day trip, we'll likely only be able to do those headliners once, since we'll definitely be paying for Lightening Lane for all other days. I am glad there are still going to be options for virtual queue but we'll see what that ultimately looks like.

I dunno...I feel like we'll still see lots of rides "sell out" too fast even for the regular Lightening Lane though. Our trip to WDW isn't for a year though so I'll have lots of time to scour everyone's trip reports and learn how to do this. Hopefully it works better on my phone than MDE for Disneyland though as I never did get that to work for me when prepping for our March 2020 trip that never happened.

This was already going to be one of our last WDW trips and this definitely doesn't help change that. I'm sure we'll go again at some point but that is one of the reasons we are doing an extended trip in 2022.

You don’t need to be at the park at 7am for genie+ or ROTR.

and even if you did, not sure why you would have to be there between 5-6am.
The way Genie+ is advertised is that getting Lightning Passes is first come, first served, and cannot be done in advance. That means that those who arrive to the park late may not get the attraction they wish to attend.

keep in mind......TRON and the new Guardians ride will also be Pay Per Ride........so the opportunity for Disney to get an additional $65 per person per day is real.

$150 for a park hopper + $15 for Genie + $10 a ride for E tickets (tron, remey, rise, 7 drarfs, guardians) = $50

$215 a day to go to a park now

From the knowledgeable speculation, those rides will be priced much higher than $10 each.

The way Genie+ is advertised is that getting Lightning Passes is first come, first served, and cannot be done in advance. That means that those who arrive to the park late may not get the attraction they wish to attend.
Correct. Unless the park starts opening between 5-6am, I’m still not sure why you think you need to be there at that time.

Correct. Unless the park starts opening between 5-6am, I’m still not sure why you think you need to be there at that time.
That will depend on where in the park you need to be in order to request the Lightning Pass. When ROTR was in its first few months, you had to be at the park before opening to have a chance. That's why.

keep in mind......TRON and the new Guardians ride will also be Pay Per Ride........
No expect the Tron ride and Guardians coaster to be Virtual Queue rides with an option for limited number of individual time reservations just like RoTR and Remy.

Dave

ETA: This depends, of course, on if you have to pay the $15 to activate the Genie+ system to make use of the individual ride system. I wouldn't put it past them to double charge us for that.
As of now, that's not the case. But check back in 10/15 minutes.

It looked like on the video that the estimated wait time in Genie just tells you that it is longer or shorter than usual. Did anyone see that? I think that could be a good thing for Touring Plans as people might want a more quantitative answer.

You can book the first Genie+ lightning pass at 7am. You can't book another one until that is used, so no reason to arrive that early. The extra paid attraction (tier one) passes can be booked at 7am, if you are staying at a Disney resort. If you are staying anywhere else, you can't book them until you are in the park, but you will not be allowed in until regular opening.

Hope that the Genie+ daily fee can be paid in advance, and not just at 7:00 am day-of. Between boarding groups, LL$, and Genie+ scheduling, 7:00 am is going to be crazy!

You can book the first Genie+ lightning pass at 7am. You can't book another one until that is used, so no reason to arrive that early. The extra paid attraction (tier one) passes can be booked at 7am, if you are staying at a Disney resort. If you are staying anywhere else, you can't book them until you are in the park, but you will not be allowed in until regular opening.
Let's say you wish to do more than one LP attraction using your Genie+ (which I assume will be the case for all Genie+ guests) -- it sounds like you'll have to get an early time for the first one or you will be out of luck. That's the reason to arrive early. I'm hoping you're right that they can be booked from the hotel.

That will depend on where in the park you need to be in order to request the Lightning Pass. When ROTR was in its first few months, you had to be at the park before opening to have a chance. That's why.
Ok then, I guess if the park starts opening at 6am and you’re staying off site, you might start having to arrive between 5-6am.

My wife and I honestly looked forward to experiencing Disney trips every couple of years, not only now when the kids are still at home, but after they left home, and even further down the road, after we retired. We used to talk about it all the time. Now, neither one of us has any desire whatsoever to go. It's no longer for us.

That's a shame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter