Disney Genie announcement

If LL doesn't include the Tier 1 rides, those are going to be all standby lines. That means you have to either pony up the $20, rope drop 7D, or ride it standby. The question becomes what happens to the 7D with no Fast Pass and no LL tier. I'm not sure how Rope Drop fits into this will all the classes of guests and maybe or maybe not Genie is up by then.

If you paid $15 for LL and Genie says to go skip the line at Pirates, you are going to do that, not stand in line with the cheap people at 7D. To me, this leads to two strategies. Either pay the $15 and stick to Tier 2, or don't pay and go standby/a la carte. Mixing the strategies of LL and a la carte doesn't make sense to me.

If enough people are in the Tier 2 system, or if the a la carte is expensive enough, 7D might actually have a moving, pleasant standby line, like it did in Covid times. That's not a terrible outcome to a cheap, standby person. In a sense, that makes $30 a la carte more appealing than $5 a la carte.

I'm never getting up at 7AM on vacation. So, I guess we will see you on the carousel.

I must be in the Cheap circle, if any of us who frequent WDW can really be considered super cheap, because right now, I'm thinking I'd pay for G+ for HS and MK days, not AK/EP, and rarely LL at all.

I think there were articles stating that you could pay for Rise for $50 somehow? I'm sure some would, but I personally wouldn't pay that. I'd just try to leave a few opportunities at a BG and if I strike out, I've done it a bunch of times and there's always the next time. Shanghai was a new experience, very crowded, and I never bought the paid FPs at all for the likes of Tron, or 7D, Soaring. I just researched heavily to create a good touring plan and experienced everything.

I honestly wondered why they didn't do that as well, but then realized that they wouldn't have been able to get that $15 upcharge from AP holders every time they visit so I kind of thought maybe that was why.
Also any tickets they've already sold wouldn't include the increased price. The reality I suspect is they feel that introducing the new system gives them the opportunity to sell the increase as being a trade off for the new system so they don't appear to be increasing costs with no associated benefit.

I've made similar points before about waiting in line not being the end of the world. I also don't think you need to be up and booking at 7am if you don't want a time within the first hour or 2 of park opening for most rides. The people who book at 7am for a 9-10am slot can't book another one until they have used that one. If you wake up at 8:30 and go to book, I'd think your times for most rides would be in the 10-noon ballpark (maybe later for more popular rides). You only get up early if you want an early time slot or are paying to select a time slot for something like SDMT.

It seems like rational thought is out the window though and I'm supposed to act like this is the worst thing that has ever happened and I'll never go back. I already have 3 trips planned for 2022 and none of this is making me cancel or second guess those trips. I'll likely buy G+ for at least a portion of those trips and maybe purchase 1-2 time slots each trip as well (but maybe not since lines are not an issue for my family). If we are rope dropping or trying for a BG, I'll be up at 7am, if not I'll be sleeping in and getting whatever G+ is available when I wake up, assuming I purchase it for that day.
Thank you!! Waiting in some lines at a theme park IS okay!

I've seen conflicting reports on the safari, some have speculated it will be in the top tier LL$ rides which wouldn't be Genie+ but that seems very much uncertain now as other have EE in there instead.
I would guess Safari or NRJ over EE, but I'd personally like it better if Safari wasn't picked as a LL. While NRJ may command higher wait times than Safari some times, I feel like Safari is more of a landmark, can't miss, AK attraction. And it makes sense to try to have 2 LLs at AK vs. just FoP so they can make more.

Also wonder if having SR affects the decision at all. While not that difficult to remove SR from EE, having SR while it's a LL ride may factor. Just as Smuggler's not being a rumored pick (even though SDD being picked makes sense).

I would guess Safari or NRJ over EE, but I'd personally like it better if Safari wasn't picked as a LL. While NRJ may command higher wait times than Safari some times, I feel like Safari is more of a landmark, can't miss, AK attraction. And it makes sense to try to have 2 LLs at AK vs. just FoP so they can make more.

Also wonder if having SR affects the decision at all. While not that difficult to remove SR from EE, having SR while it's a LL ride may factor. Just as Smuggler's not being a rumored pick (even though SDD being picked makes sense).
I'm not a fan of NRJ so it would please me tremendously if they pick that one though it might make the Genie+ worthwhile to me if they do so as having 2 of FoP/EE/KS on the plan would at least make me consider it. If only 1 of those 3 is on the Genie+ plan I'll just utilize the standby lines instead. Of course I'll want to read about others experiences first, if possible, to see if the new system makes the selection of those exceptionally difficult.

I think they should have made Genie+ part of the ticket price for everyone. And then just raised ticket prices by $10-$15/day or so. We would have been a little more excited about G+. We would have complained about ticket prices going up, but we are used to that. This is an "add on," which feels different than just a price increase.
They want to be able to adjust BOTH prices up over time.

We all keep talking about the headliners, but I've been pondering the other rides. The whole reason FP, then FP+ were put in place was because of three hour lines for Peter Pan. Dumbo won't be as bad since they've doubled the capacity, but some rides are going right back to the horrible wait times I remember from years ago. I understand the whole planning vs. spontaneous issue, and hated knowing that there was no way I could get a pass for some rides at short notice. My family operates on "Let's go to Epcot next Tuesday," not sixty day out planning. But if Disney had asked me how I would solve the problem, my answer would not have been, "Make me pay through the nose for only one pass at a time. I'm sure that will fix everything."

I cant imagine that all opportunities will be only at 7am. They must (must?) be going to also drop a bunch at 9am so at least off site guests can get some times. And/or release times throughout the day so you arent stuck with your second LL late in the day and cant get another till then.
Before most everyone had 3 fast passes. Why would you think they would all be gone for the day at 7 am if everyone can book only 1? We don’t know the details but it isn’t like someone is going to happily take the BTMRR at 6pm at 7am. If that is all you could get people wouldn’t buy them more than once.

It'll be interesting to see if all the recent "pay-to-play" changes (resort parking fees/magic bands/DME/Genie+) actually change demand for WDW or if it'll be the same ole **GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE** ok, i'll pay it... like normal...

I think the percentage of people who will actually stop going is low.

Also, I think sometimes we forget two things: 1.) the Disney fan community is an echo chamber. We are vocal, but we are also a very small fraction of the people who attend the parks, so our outrage is not nearly as concerning to P&R as we might think; and 2.) for every person who actually does stop going, there are plenty of new families out there with little kids who are just coming of age to enjoy a Disney park. These families, on the whole, probably won't know about this week's changes, or what things were like before. Genie+ and IAS will just be "status quo" for them, so they'd have no reason to complain. Long story short, anyone who feels aggrieved is free to stay home and make room for the fresh meat.

And as much as I hateHateHATE the concept of IAS, when it comes down to it, if I am bound for DHS with my wife and kids, and there's a 3-hour wait in standby for RotR and I don't win the Virtual Lottery? Yeah, I will probably pony up, through gritted teeth.

I hate admitting that, but it's true. And Disney knows that.

Last edited:
I fully believe anything that is free has no value.
Do you know how often people would book fast passes and then not use them, blocking others from getting them?
I for one don't think it is a huge deal. I think it will add value to the "fast pass" and people won't waste them. I may make the lighting lane work better.

I m more interested in seeing how Disney handles the extra magic hours return.

If they wanted to do that they would have already. With the way they are rolling out the LL on a rolling basis and not being able to pick your time it wouldn't work to book in advance. I really don't see the big deal of booking day of.

Under that logic we could have said 2 years ago if they wanted to charge for FP's they would have done it already. You see the backlash they are getting for $15/day + 2 charges for other attractions. They know throwing more charges for more features is pressing their luck.

I get that you think they will never do this and nothing will change your mind. I am just pointing out "they aren't doing it now so they will never do it" has failed many time and will fail many more.

And I know you don't see the big deal. But clearly many disagree with that point of view.

Apologize if this has been shared … Genie+ can be purchased after midnight on day you are using. One less thing to do.

78ECAE97-FACE-4DDE-9F63-1927A3765D17.jpeg

Per Blog Mickey

If guests have a date-based ticket or vacation package, they will be able to purchase Disney Genie+ as part of the package. That said, all guests will still only be allowed to make selections on the day of their visit.

Last edited:
My spreadsheets and itinerary documents (for every vacation, not just Disney), and every single person that knows me, would strongly beg to differ. But you don't have to understand, it's ok.

Lol, I'm just pointing out reality. If you are ok not planning, then by definition, not by my understanding, you are not a planner. Especially not a "100% type A, incredibly detailed planner." And again, nothing wrong with that. Many, many people are not planners and your perception will fit right in with them (I'm more in the middle myself, fwiw). Its just that for the true hardcore planners, being told they can no longer plan is not going to produce just a simple shoulder shrug.

Besides annual passholders, though?

It seems annoying if you now have to get up even a little earlier so you can add G+ and be sure it is in place by the 7am window opening.

Flexible date tickets (that's what we have) and some FL resident tickets

Last edited:
I’m trying to understand this as I sit on the beach fishing which is sounding better and better by the day.

1. so I pay for my season pass. 1 grand per family member x4. I’m using round numbers here.

2. so I’m 4 grand in. Fine.

3. now I got to pay 15x4 per day. So a 7 day trip is now 420 more per trip per year. So I do 2 trips a year. Sometimes 3.

4. So now my season passes at 4800!

5. Then I got to add the popular rides for even more money.

5. How are people remotely ok with this?

6. It is completely insane. I’m sorry but it is. You are talking mega mega money at this point.

7. I love Disney. We are invested. Dvc. We collect original artwork. We have a whole room dedicated to wdcc. But it’s just getting stupid expensive.

8. am I missing something here? Or is the heat gotten to me?

9. Oh and then I pay that extra money per day and I get ride time returns for 5 pm or 6pm. We are half day park people then to relax and swim. A nice dinner then back to park for night. Fast pass made that so nice. I don’t want to be in the parks all day dieing in the heat.

10. again just my opinions but to me this sucks.

Lol, I'm just pointing out reality. If you are ok not planning, then by definition, not by my understanding, you are not a planner. Especially not a "100% type A, incredibly detailed planner." And again, nothing wrong with that. Many, many people are not planners and your perception will fit right in with them (I'm more in the middle myself, fwiw). Its just that for the true hardcore planners, being told they can no longer plan is not going to produce just a simple shoulder shrug.
Yea, not gonna continue to try and explain it. Not worth it apparently. Feel free to believe I'm not a planner, you'll just continue to be very, very, very wrong.

If most people saw my planning process for a one day trip to a nearby town, they would think I was certifiably insane. Every single possible situation/scenario is thought of, with corresponding solutions. My Disney plans would blow many peoples minds. Like 20 pages for a 4 day trip, and I go multiple times a year.

But again, you don't have to understand it.

Last edited:
I remember when they had the paper tickets for the fast pass lanes at WDW and we had a blast using these. It sounds to me like Genie+ will just be a digital version of this but not all rides are included. For my situation which is usually 5 days at Disney with 4 people the cost would be $300.00 for all 5 days. But, if I am reading it right ( Please correct me if I am wrong) photopass and memory maker are included. If you deduct the $170 cost for memory maker it would be a $130.00 difference for my family of 4 to have unlimited LL access on all rides except for the 2 most popular rides in the park.
Sounds pretty good to me. I will say, I hope Genie+ does not lead to paid access to restaurants. For instance, Genie+ always takes a certain percentage of tables at the most popular restaurants like CRT and BOG and allows you, the day of in the app, to pay per person and “magically“ unlock those tables. Reservations are hard enough to get already.

I remember when they had the paper tickets for the fast pass lanes at WDW and we had a blast using these. It sounds to me like Genie+ will just be a digital version of this but not all rides are included. For my situation which is usually 5 days at Disney with 4 people the cost would be $300.00 for all 5 days. But, if I am reading it right ( Please correct me if I am wrong) photopass and memory maker are included. If you deduct the $170 cost for memory maker it would be a $130.00 difference for my family of 4 to have unlimited LL access on all rides except for the 2 most popular rides in the park.
Sounds pretty good to me. I will say, I hope Genie+ does not lead to paid access to restaurants. For instance, Genie+ always takes a certain percentage of tables at the most popular restaurants like CRT and BOG and allows you, the day of in the app, to pay per person and “magically“ unlock those tables. Reservations are hard enough to get already.
Pics are only included at DLR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter