• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Genie announcement

So if I am reading this correctly the Genie + is the old paper fast pass with a fee and minus some headline attractions? does it list the attractions which will not be part of the Genie+?

RUMOR is ...

7DMT and Space Mountain
Remy and Test Track
Rise of Resistance and Slinky Dog
Flight of Passage and Safari

No doubt Guardians and Tron will be added or replace two.

You guys have to admit, it's slightly amusing to see a lot of people putting fast pass plus on a pedestal as the greatest of all time, yet when it was first introduced it was pretty much going to be the downfall of Disney on these boards. :D

You could also go to the parks at 2pm and maybe ride 3-5 tier 2 rides with minimal waits and ride a tier 1 ride at closing with a minimal wait and for free.

Why are so many people on this board inclined to believe the worst case scenario right off the bat, without any real world experience?
Because that's what people on here do haha

You guys have to admit, it's slightly amusing to see a lot of people putting fast pass plus on a pedestal as the greatest of all time, yet when it was first introduced it was pretty much going to be the downfall of Disney on these boards. :D
Yup. Or even like a month ago when some people were wanting "some kind of FP system, but not FP+"

I wonder if this will make rope dropping one tier 2 attraction even more important than it is now. My fear would be you put off grabbing your first LL for Splash Mountain, for example, bc it is popular and the first time you can grab is 11am. So, you do something else bc you don't want that "dead time" of no LL between park open and 11am. So you grab a 9:30 for HM, instead, let's say. But every time you are eligible to get another LL, you find Splash Mountain even further in the future. Fearing all the dead time, you just keep grabbing other ones and never end up doing Splash Mountain. What do you think?

I don't think Safari will be a tier 1 up-charge. They need that Lightning Lane in heavy use to ease up traffic congestion.

Without the Fastpass queue running, the line for Kilimanjaro Safaris currently snakes through the park all the way back to Festival of the Lion King, and even into ugly backstage areas (you literally walk past, like, power transformers and loading docks). That's with a 45-minute queue, which Disney posts as a 75-minute wait to discourage guests from getting in line. Without using both physical queues, it's totally unmanageable, interfering with park operations and giving guests a bad show.

They need to put a lot of that crowd through the Lightning Lane queue to solve that crowd control problem, and the volume of guests who would pay $12/person won't make the difference they need.

Exactly, if you previously got up at 9AM, went to the pool, then went to the parks now you can no longer guarantee 3 decent rides like you could with FP+. I would rather the FP+ system be monetized versus Genie+. Change 60 days to 14 even. The "leveling of the playing field" always means us Disboard/AP/DVC guests get less and less for more money. Sure I can get up at 9AM, go to the parks at 2PM, MAYBE get 1-5 Tier 2 rides in with Genie+ and MAYBE get the chance to pay $10-$20 to ride space mountain? That is a worse experience and that 'best case ' Genie+ scenario would cost probably $25 a person at minimum. They should have raised ticket rates to cover the $15, kept FP+, and anything past 3 FP+ costs money.
I don't know. It was pretty easy to get upwards of 5 or 6 fast passes a day while at Disneyland using the max pass system. And the lightning lane system through Genie+ is going to be somewhat based on that model. Well it is not confirmed yet, multiple sources are saying they anticipate that you will have either the 90 minute or 2 hour wait window. So for example a decent plan would be to Wake up at 7:00 a.m. and grab a fast pass for a heavy hitter ride even if it's later in the day; let's say you got one for Splash mountain at 2:00 p.m. Then get to the park early at rope drop and ride quite a few rides with the standby line with lower wait times. Within 90 minutes to 2 hours, your Genie Plus lightning Lane availability will open up again, even if your lightning lane time slot for Splash mountain has not come up yet. So if the wait time is 2 hours, maybe you grab another pass at 9:00 a.m. for a different ride. It's pass is 11:30. You go on that ride at 11:30 and get another pass for another ride. By the time 2:00 is come and gone you've already used three passes.

No I did stipulate I do not think it has been 100% confirmed that this is in the system, I have heard from a few different sources they believe something like this will be integrated. We will probably know more as we go.

I'm so glad my kids are now older (with little ones of their own). We enjoyed Disney for the past 30 years. We are DVC owners so DH and I will still go and we have tickets we haven't used (including APs).

I am not a thrill ride person so this announcement mostly disappoints me. I do not plan to spend more (but I shouldn't say I won't) to ride what I do enjoy riding and will try to strategize my park days the way I always have to limit wait times.

It will be curious how this pans out and how it will affect crowd levels.

Last edited:
RUMOR is ...

7DMT and Space Mountain
Remy and Test Track
Rise of Resistance and Slinky Dog
Flight of Passage and Safari

No doubt Guardians and Tron will be added or replace two.
I do estimate that space mountain will not be as inundated once Tron opens. Especially because they're going to be somewhat close together. Replacing space mountain with Tron might make sense. The same might happen with test track and guardians.

Why are so many people on this board inclined to believe the worst case scenario right off the bat, without any real world experience?
The same reason other people are extremely optimistic about anything Disney does. It’s the nature of any discussion board I suppose. To @Farro ‘s point, I thought FP+ was going to be bad and I loved it; it fit my touring style.

I don't think Safari will be a tier 1 up-charge. They need that Lightning Lane in heavy use to ease up traffic congestion.

Without the Fastpass queue running, the line for Kilimanjaro Safaris currently snakes through the park all the way back to Festival of the Lion King, and even into ugly backstage areas (you literally walk past, like, power transformers and loading docks). That's with a 45-minute queue, which Disney posts as a 75-minute wait to discourage guests from getting in line. Without using both physical queues, it's totally unmanageable, interfering with park operations and giving guests a bad show.

They need to put a lot of that crowd through the Lightning Lane queue to solve that crowd control problem, and the volume of guests who would pay $12/person won't make the difference they need.
Of course nobody knows yet. But Safari is what people who leaked all this info a few weeks ago have proposed as being an upcharge ride.

The whole Genie mess makes me sick. We purchased DVC because WDW is fun and we wanted it to be stress free. Now that we have gone to Universal twice, we regret our DVC purchase. UO just does things better. Free unlimited Express Pass when staying at HRH just cannot be beat. Over all, the whole UO vacation is easier and has great rides, resorts and restaurants.

So I’m up to date on the Genie threads on the Rumors & News Board but way behind on this thread…so not sure this has been discussed yet:

Can we please discuss the names Disney chose??

Lightning Lane

• My first thought is that Disney set an expectation they can’t possibly meet. I’ve never seen a fast pass line move at lightning speed.

• Lightning Lane lends itself to an easy Disboards acronym (LL) but how are we going to use it in real life while we’re in the parks? “I’m gonna grab a Lightning Lane?” “I’m gonna grab a Lightning Lane Pass?” Doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue. I liked FastPass way better.

Genie

If I remember the movie Aladdin correctly, Genie was a character bound to servitude, a character that didn’t even dare to dream of his own freedom.

"But oh, to be free. Not have to go poof! What do you need? Poof! What do you need? Poof! What do you need?”

Sure the genie will grant you your wishes…but not because he wants to, because he has to.

All this to say, I would have picked something different.

I loved FP+ from the day it was announced but we didn’t really use legacy FP much due to the running around the parks for them. It was too much with young kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter