Disney Genie announcement

Random but has anyone figured out how this affects dining and other things that require advanced reservations like Savi's? Will we be able to still reserve dining ahead of time?
So after watching the video someone else posted on here or another thread on the boards, its seems we will still be able to make dining ahead of time and we will have the genie suggest stuff around the restaurant.

I don't think the a la carte rides are going to sell as fast as people think. ROTR is going to be expensive. My guess is there will still be spots by the time off-site is allowed to buy.

I don't' believe it's been confirmed, but yes, I would imagine you'd have to have a park pass for Epcot to get into the VQ. How would you ride otherwise?
Agree - ROTR will be expensive, and I'm (selfishly) less concerned with that one since I've already ridden it multiple times.

For Remy... I wasn't planning to reserve Epcot for any days as we tend to just hop there at night. But if I need a park pass to try for the VQ, I'll have to rethink those plans.

I am wondering if most of the folks here who are upset about "being forced" to get up at 7am every day or they will not get any value out of Genie + have ever used MP at DLR? If you have used it, you understand that even arriving mid day, you were able to get plenty of FPs for rides, and you were not shut out. You did have to be diligent and refresh sometimes to get a return time that was not 3-4 hours away, but who on these boards would complain about knowing the secret to refreshing and having that benefit (save those people who have been posting that the booked their 3 FP+ rides 60 days in advance and then never looked at their phones while in the parks; I find that hard to believe because we on these boards knew how to work that system, but...)? If it works anything like MP, you will be able to get passes even later in the day. Passes will not run out at 7:01am!
I quite liked MP at Disneyland found it worked well. Some of the headliners eventually ran out (e.g. the Lightning McQueen one), but not until afternoon. One thing though that I don't like is having to carry my phone and constantly on it during vacation. I kind of like to disconnect....but I guess even with the old way, we'd still use it to check wait times, etc. To me though...I kind of like the pre-planning and so booking 3 FP ahead of time was nice. The Genie+ plus the pay ride seems like it'll be a bit stressful and having to figure things out on the spot rather than just going and enjoying the atmosphere, etc.

I am an early riser but also hoping it's not where we are forced to be up at 7am. Don't really see this as too much of an issue though as you can only book 1 ride at a time.

I quite liked MP at Disneyland found it worked well. Some of the headliners eventually ran out (e.g. the Lightning McQueen one), but not until afternoon. One thing though that I don't like is having to carry my phone and constantly on it during vacation. I kind of like to disconnect....but I guess even with the old way, we'd still use it to check wait times, etc. To me though...I kind of like the pre-planning and so booking 3 FP ahead of time was nice. The Genie+ plus the pay ride seems like it'll be a bit stressful and having to figure things out on the spot rather than just going and enjoying the atmosphere, etc.

I am an early riser but also hoping it's not where we are forced to be up at 7am. Don't really see this as too much of an issue though as you can only book 1 ride at a time.
Thats another question I have that wasn't fully answered in that video-while it looks like you can plan out your day is you have Genie+, is it like Tapu Tapu at Volcano Bay where you have to ride and then can choose another one?

Agree - ROTR will be expensive, and I'm (selfishly) less concerned with that one since I've already ridden it multiple times.

For Remy... I wasn't planning to reserve Epcot for any days as we tend to just hop there at night. But if I need a park pass to try for the VQ, I'll have to rethink those plans.

ROTR is my biggest concern. I'm staying offsite, and even though we have 3 days booked at HS across our two weeks, I'm concerned that even if I was willing to pay, we wouldn't get to ride because all the reservations will go to onsite. Appreciate there's got to be some perks to being onsite, but still...

Just guessing that 7DMT would be 20/person so we would be paying 80 for our family for a FP for a 3 minute ride that used to be free? $80 for 3 mins- thats just crazy.

I look at it as more like $80 for whatever the length of the line is. We’re saving that much time to be able to do something else. $80 for 90 minutes seems more reasonable to me.

I also sent an email - a positive one saying if it works like MaxPass, I believe it will be a success and I am very optimistic about it. :goodvibes

I also think the deluxe evening extra hours just became a way more valuable perk. With that exclusivity of really low crowds, I won't have to purchase add-on individual attractions ... I can ride the most popular rides via standby with really low wait times during those hours at those parks.

Apparently their promo videos for this have received over 70% dislikes....perhaps this could lead to some tweaks to this new, awful system. Doubtful though. Also (and I'm sure this has been posted before but I haven't been able to read every post) thanks for showing your appreciation to DVC or AP people by throwing us 1-3 complimentary LL passes per day like the old FP+ system.

I also sent an email - a positive one saying if it works like MaxPass, I believe it will be a success and I am very optimistic about it. :goodvibes

I also think the deluxe evening extra hours just became a way more valuable perk. With that exclusivity of really low crowds, I won't have to purchase add-on individual attractions ... I can ride the most popular rides via standby with really low wait times during those hours at those parks.

Here's hoping that lots of deluxe resort guests will think of it this way, and thereby lessen the numbers of people in both the standby lines, and using the paid options.

If this is primarily about reducing complaints from guests that arrive without Fast Passes for top attractions, I wonder how this alternative of paying $80 per ride (family of four) for Tier 1 will be received. I'm not convinced this solves that problem. I think this is primarily about extracting more revenue from guests willing to pay it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter