Disney helps with Katrina relief

I think that's a wonderful gesture. Thanks for posting the link.

Bobbi :sunny:

This is off the General Electric website, and I'm sure it is typical of what many large companies will do.

GE is making the following donations to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

GE has donated $1 million to the Red Cross.

As of August 31, GE employees have donated more than $130,000. These gifts will be matched 100% by the GE Foundation.

WNBC, the flagship station of NBC based in New York City, is airing a 1-hour telethon tonight (August 31st) in the tri-state area.

The NBC broadcast network is airing a 1-hour telethon on Friday, September 2 at 8 p.m. ET, which will be simulcast on CNBC and MSNBC.

GE is currently working with the Red Cross and FEMA to assess what products and services can be donated.

I had heard that in the first three days alone, that there have been donations close to $100 million made. I suspect that number will rise greatly as more fund raising is done and companies that have been collecting among their employees will make even more lump sum donations.

That's great.

Unfortunately, Katrina is not returning the favor. The stock has dropped some. I assume resulting from fears of decreased visitors due to the gas prices.

How come the OIL COMPANIES aren't giving? I bet this won't even dent their profits. Maybe even help once they collect their insurance money.

I don't think the oil companies are really to blame right now. I think one of the major issues right now is distribution. Fuel cost is being driven up because the fuel is limited. I just read that they are releasing supplies from the reserves, Canada is delaying their refineries fall maintenance down times to help offset production, and the International Energy Agency is also releasing barrels (mostly gasoline). I think they said there's about 60 million barrels coming. However, that won't really affect the price of gas, but will hopefully help prevent the disruption in supply and might slow the increase some.

Here's one of the articles on Yahoo:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050902/ap_on_bi_ge/katrina_international_oil_hk3

I am very happy to see that Disney has stepped upto the plate. But then again, what would you expect from a class company such as Disney? :)

Of course, I have also sent my personal donation... :drinking:

MG

vascubaguy said:
I don't think the oil companies are really to blame right now. [/url]

I'm not saying they're to blame for the prices. I agree with supply/demand. Increased prices will decrease use freeing up supply for those that really need it. (Like those going to WDW. :cool1: ) IT may even help us in the long run if we develop some better habits and decrease dependence on foreign oil. (BTW, I think Bill Oreilly made an *** of himself last night arguing that oil companies should drop their prices for the "good of the country.")

I was just saying they should donate to relief like Disney is.

I think maybe the oil companies have a priority to get operations going again, rather than making a big deal out of their donating. Check out the Exxon corporate web site here, which may give you some insight into what the "biggie" of all oil companies is doing. http://www.exxonmobil.com/ER/Katrina.asp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter