Disney is going downhill

Thinking about this. We are socialized to not make a fuss. Maybe we should sometimes. Maybe shame some people. Like in the son urinating, maybe saying really loudly, "OH MY GOD! IS THAT BOY REALLY PEEING ON THE DECK? IT LOOKED LIKE YOU WERE ENCOURAGING HIM. ARE YOU GOING TO CLEAN UP YOUR SON'S PEE? THAT IS DISGUSTING"

My default reaction is nothing, which I think is true for most.

I actually did say something to them. I pointed out the restroom and said that it is not acceptable here to just urinate wherever you want to.

We definitely noticed a difference in the people on our last trip in April. Lots of yelling and cussing and overall bad behavior (not everyone of course but enough to be very noticeable).

We figured either people who normally don’t go to Disney were either going stir crazy and needed a place to get out or had stimulus money burning a hole in their pockets that needed to be spent. Either way, I hope it’s a temporary thing. It really did affect the vibe of the trip.

I definitely agree with the consensus that it's less about Disney, and more about entitlement. I mean, look how many airlines aren't serving alcohol right now because of bad behaviour by passengers. It's hard to say if we, as a culture, were moving this way anyway, or if Covid made people a little more feral. Now that we can finally leave our homes, I do think some people have forgotten how to act.

It's a shame that public urination and line-cutting have become so prominent. Report everything to CMs and hope the person is dealt with appropriately.

I actually did say something to them. I pointed out the restroom and said that it is not acceptable here to just urinate wherever you want to.

Did you say it really loudly so that everyone within a 30' radius heard it?
Remember, I wouldn't have done differently than you. Except maybe I might have been so shocked, I probably wouldn't have said anything at all. I'm getting contingency plans in my head in case that happens to me.

I think the poster meant in regards to line jumping.

Others have pointed out that I was referring to the line jumpers, and that was true. But, that was only because a CM saw it and allowed it. At least in line, don't people go to a corner? So presumably a CM isn't around. If a CM saw someone treating the queue as a toilet, they should get the same treatment. I think a month-long banishment from all Disney sounds about right. With permanent banishment for second offenses.

Thinking about it more, they have cameras on the queues. They have to based on the speakers saying things like, "The guy in the blue shirt, pull your mask up." It would probably be harder to banish someone merely caught on video since the guy could probably say he was just adjusting his clothing. But, taking him aside for a warning seems appropriate.

Did you say it really loudly so that everyone within a 30' radius heard it?
Remember, I wouldn't have done differently than you. Except maybe I might have been so shocked, I probably wouldn't have said anything at all. I'm getting contingency plans in my head in case that happens to me.

I know a few others that were in the area heard me. I also went and told a cast member. But they did not do anything.

Last edited:

Thanks OP for calling attention to this. I am at WDW right now and have never seen behavior so appalling in the decades I have been coming. I understand the challenges they have been dealing with, but degrading the average guest experience does not seem like the right path forward.

Just returned from Disney this past weekend and agree with all that was said here. It was very clear that cost-cutting measures are in place and driving a number of negative experiences.

The most obvious to me was a simple lack of Cast Members. This certainly contributes to the rampant line-cutting taking place - which has already been discussed. And sure they were present at key locations (line entries, points of purchase, etc.), but good luck finding them anywhere else. A great example is when we were leaving MK following an end of night Splash ride - over an hour after park close. In all my other trips, I would expect CMs to guide us out at each intersection. In this case, we literally did not see a CM until we reached the entrance.

Beyond the staffing cuts, a lack of air conditioning and empty soap containers and paper towels were consistently disappointing across all the parks. Similarly, I would estimate that 95% of all the sanitizer dispenser we attempted to use were empty. Which was even more disappointing given the renewed emphasis on masks during the latter part of our trip.

All in all, over the last 15 years my family has been coming to Disney, with APs and DVC - this is the first time we truly had trouble finding the magical feeling that always kept us coming back.

Just returned from Disney this past weekend and agree with all that was said here. It was very clear that cost-cutting measures are in place and driving a number of negative experiences.

The most obvious to me was a simple lack of Cast Members. This certainly contributes to the rampant line-cutting taking place - which has already been discussed. And sure they were present at key locations (line entries, points of purchase, etc.), but good luck finding them anywhere else. A great example is when we were leaving MK following an end of night Splash ride - over an hour after park close. In all my other trips, I would expect CMs to guide us out at each intersection. In this case, we literally did not see a CM until we reached the entrance.

Beyond the staffing cuts, a lack of air conditioning and empty soap containers and paper towels were consistently disappointing across all the parks. Similarly, I would estimate that 95% of all the sanitizer dispenser we attempted to use were empty. Which was even more disappointing given the renewed emphasis on masks during the latter part of our trip.

All in all, over the last 15 years my family has been coming to Disney, with APs and DVC - this is the first time we truly had trouble finding the magical feeling that always kept us coming back.
I'm not sure I would blame Disney for the lack of CMs...it seems no one can fill their vacant positions because everyone wants $15 or better an hour to do a menial labor job.

I'm not sure I would blame Disney for the lack of CMs...it seems no one can fill their vacant positions because everyone wants $15 or better an hour to do a menial labor job.

They are def doing their best to bring them back as fast as possible but I think you are right. It may not fully be in their control with certain economical factors.

However, one thing I am ready to blame Disney for though that I think is squarely in their control, is raising the park capacity too much to a point where it exponentially outmatched their ability to staff up. I understand why they did that, but still. I think that is the true heart of the degraded experience as a whole at WDW this time around (we had a 2ish week trip that finished at end of July).

*This*is why Disney can be blamed. If the CM's allow it, then they permit it. Does anyone think that this is the last time these turds do that?

I also stop people from cutting in front of me with the arm. I think the next time it happens I'll also tell the CM that they'd cut through to me. I remember one time they argued that the person they were joining was just up ahead (about 40' in a straight line). Although they'd cut through a lot of people to get to me. I said, "Well, then, she can join you guys. No one minds when someone moves to the back of the line" They started to protest that wasn't fair that the line would be longer for them. I gave them a withering look and they shut up.

We actually did that twice at Universal, moved more to the back of the line to join together. DH and DD got in the Hagrid's line instead of waiting at the entrance to it like we had said. I eventually got mad and got in the line myself. I wasn't too far from them going through their SECOND time. We joined up by jumping the rail while loudly announcing we were going backward.
Do you understand that people outside the Disney bubble are being shot at, stabbed and beaten by customers coming into their businesses sometimes for the most mundane things. Also there is a lack of staff especially in the hospitality industry right now adding to the issue. My guess is Disney is not staffed at pre COVID levels and the amount of people behaving badly has increased. I see it in my own community so I can’t imagine it’s not happening there

You act as if $15/hour is a lot of money in this day and age. Just think about it. What can a person get for $15 now? And then think about how someone has to give their time, labor, and energy for that little bit of money. You go to McDonald's and buy a quarter pounder and a med fries and it cost $8.50. So someone has to work a over a half an hour for one meal. Try going to the grocery store and buying a whole chicken, they cost $6-$8 each. Do you think it is reasonable for someone to have to work that long for 1 meal? Do you think that is how it was 20 years ago? I can tell you that is wasn't. People's time and labor alone should be worth more the $7-$10 and hour. But you expect them to do crap jobs like cleaning bathrooms, emptying trash, cleaning hotel rooms, and working in food for so little. The people that think like you are stuck in a time warp. And the mentality that these NECESSARY jobs are in any way "menial" is disgusting. What would we as a society do without someone doing these jobs? You don't want to do them but someone has to. That does not mean that they should not be paid a living wage.

I’m at Magic Kingdom now. Bathrooms are filthy. It’s sad that people pay so much money and have to put up with that. I think Disney needs to do a better job of hiring enough cast members to do this work. I know it is not necessarily a good job to have but it still needs to be done. The park is crowded and that’s probably another reason the upkeep of the bathrooms are hard to do. Hopefully it will get better!

Last edited:
They are def doing their best to bring them back as fast as possible but I think you are right. It may not fully be in their control with certain economical factors.

However, one thing I am ready to blame Disney for though that I think is squarely in their control, is raising the park capacity too much to a point where it exponentially outmatched their ability to staff up. I understand why they did that, but still. I think that is the true heart of the degraded experience as a whole at WDW this time around (we had a 2ish week trip that finished at end of July).
I completely agree that they have control to match attendance with the work force to provide the "Disney Experience" we all expect and deserve for the cost incurred.

You act as if $15/hour is a lot of money in this day and age. Just think about it. What can a person get for $15 now? And then think about how someone has to give their time, labor, and energy for that little bit of money. You go to McDonald's and buy a quarter pounder and a med fries and it cost $8.50. So someone has to work a over a half an hour for one meal. Try going to the grocery store and buying a whole chicken, they cost $6-$8 each. Do you think it is reasonable for someone to have to work that long for 1 meal? Do you think that is how it was 20 years ago? I can tell you that is wasn't. People's time and labor alone should be worth more the $7-$10 and hour. But you expect them to do crap jobs like cleaning bathrooms, emptying trash, cleaning hotel rooms, and working in food for so little. The people that think like you are stuck in a time warp. And the mentality that these NECESSARY jobs are in any way "menial" is disgusting. What would we as a society do without someone doing these jobs? You don't want to do them but someone has to. That does not mean that they should not be paid a living wage.
Gee did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed?? First of all, I would consider most CM jobs not a Career job but either a stepping stone to something more or a nice retirement addition. Either way, that equates to over 31K to do a very non-skilled task. Second of all, the term was not used disparagingly although you took it that way. So let's say "Entry level positions" so we can have a touchy feely term to make you feel better. And third, I did plenty of those jobs. I've cleaned toilets, swept floors, did dishes, toted trash and about any other thing you can imagine. They were all tasks that take no specific skill and are paid accordingly. But I also worked my butt off and made better for myself. Yes, someone needs to do them. But when you pay them more to sit on their butts than to do those "entry-level" tasks very few do them. For the record, you pay $8.50 for that Big Mac because the high school kid flipping burgers wants that $15. How about you get paid in accordance to the task. And if that's not sufficient then learn tasks and skills that equate to better pay. Or go find your safe space and complain about the cruelty of the real world!!!

How about you get paid in accordance to the task. And if that's not sufficient then learn tasks and skills that equate to better pay.
Sometimes even being in a skilled position doesn't mean you are making a sufficient wage compared to the cost of living which is why I tend to agree with previous posters stating that some people are living in a time warp in regard to living wage. For example I'm an engineer and my salary is enough for me to "get by" but no where close to the solid-middle/upper-middle class wage it should be. The biggest lie corporations led us to believe is that the minimum wage workforce is "greedy" for wanting a living wage when it's the corporations' greed and desire to increase profit margins that is raising the cost of good/services.

Sometimes even being in a skilled position doesn't mean you are making a sufficient wage compared to the cost of living which is why I tend to agree with previous posters stating that some people are living in a time warp in regard to living wage. For example I'm an engineer and my salary is enough for me to "get by" but no where close to the solid-middle/upper-middle class wage it should be. The biggest lie corporations led us to believe is that the minimum wage workforce is "greedy" for wanting a living wage when it's the corporations' greed and desire to increase profit margins that is raising the cost of good/services.
Believe me I know all about their greed. I started working at the age of 10 at a Krispy Kreme donuts in Myrtle Beach SC. Back in the 60's it took everyone that could walk to work in the summer to make it all work. I earned $1.15 an hour. But like all young kids, it was a job to earn personal money...not feed a family. The idea is that you work your way up the ladder and increase your value...either through education or through mastering a skill. The problem with paying a high school kid $15 an hour to chauffer people on to rides is that the cost of everything goes up...like that $8.50 burger by paying the $15 wage...or the position goes away all together for electronic service. Businesses aren't in business to not make money. Sorry about your engineering degree not keeping you in the upper middle class...but that's different than a living wage. And truth be told, a living wage in Southern California or the Northeast is much different than most places. I make very good money and wouldn't want to try and live in any of those places. Again, the idea of minimum wage is not for a career...but a starting point to learn about things like work ethic, being on time, acting as part of a team.

Gee did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed?? First of all, I would consider most CM jobs not a Career job but either a stepping stone to something more or a nice retirement addition. Either way, that equates to over 31K to do a very non-skilled task. Second of all, the term was not used disparagingly although you took it that way. So let's say "Entry level positions" so we can have a touchy feely term to make you feel better. And third, I did plenty of those jobs. I've cleaned toilets, swept floors, did dishes, toted trash and about any other thing you can imagine. They were all tasks that take no specific skill and are paid accordingly. But I also worked my butt off and made better for myself. Yes, someone needs to do them. But when you pay them more to sit on their butts than to do those "entry-level" tasks very few do them. For the record, you pay $8.50 for that Big Mac because the high school kid flipping burgers wants that $15. How about you get paid in accordance to the task. And if that's not sufficient then learn tasks and skills that equate to better pay. Or go find your safe space and complain about the cruelty of the real world!!!

Ok, we need to stop thinking that High School kids are the ones working the majority of these jobs. Most of them legally have to be done by someone over 18. And who do you think is doing these jobs when the kids are in school? Actually LOOK at the people that are working. Sure there are a few jobs that do not take much skill, but most of them do, regardless of what you personally think. Even then, a person's labor is worth more then a few dollars an hour. And you seem to think that if companies paid even less, that the product would somehow get cheaper. LOL The costs will, and do keep going up and up and up but the salaries have remained stagnant. The "real world" used to be that people working a full time job could support themselves. In the past 15 years, this has changed. I just can't see how anyone, that has any kind of humanity in them, could possibly feel that humans should give their labor and provide others with goods and services, and be treated like an indentured servant. Because no one can "get ahead" anymore making that little money. We all worked our butts off, but the economy has changed so much that people starting out now, don't have that chance unless they have someone to help them. How can you not see this? Try budgeting out what people get paid with cost of living now and you will see that it is NOT the same as it used to be.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter