Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2022 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably highly regional, but I went to the movies last weekend and I don't think I saw the theater that packed before the pandemic. Got there 30 min early and had to buy the theater's VIP pass because we weren't going to get through the ticket line otherwise. Your sentiment may be exactly right for your family, but I think the majority opinion is quickly shifting away from this.

My question on the whole thing is why have Disney Studios films been getting theatrical releases for several movies now but Pixar isn't? It seems so arbitrary.

Disney has been gutting Pixar since they've acquired them. From what I've heard they've slowly been moving the best animators over to Disney Animation, they've increased work loads and tightened time lines, and they've reduced overall staffing. Basically they're setting them up to fail and fade into obscurity by cannibalising the pervious competition. If I had to guess the long term plan is to have all animated features come from Disney Animation and leave Pixar with the straight to VHS/DVD type movies + their Pixar shorts (which a lot of recent ones have come from interns/college programs). Facebook did the same thing with many of the companies they acquired, take the talent, reduce the resources and drive the traffic to the main business.

Just received an alert from MDE regarding new Passholder Magnets…

Our newest magnets aren't just EARidescent – they're also packed with pixie dust! That means you can bring select Annual Passholder magnets to life with augmented reality (AR). Just use your mobile phone to go to PassholderMagnets.com for simple how-to instructions and direct links to special AR Lenses and Effects that bring the magic of select Passholder magnets to life. 

What are Passholder Magnets with AR?
 They are select Passholder magnets that are enhanced with augmented reality to magically bring them to life. 

Which Walt Disney World Passholder magnets are magic enabled?
You can find the complete selection of special Passholder magnets on the main page of the PassholderMagnets.com website. Be sure to check back often as we add new Passholder magnets to the list! 

What do I need to bring my Passholder magnet to life?
With your mobile phone, you can experience the magic of select Passholder magnets through special augmented reality "lenses and effects" created for Facebook and Snapchat mobile apps. 

So, grab your latest magnet and discover what all the pixie dust tucked inside can do!

That's what I'd like to see ... at least a few weeks in the theater. Around my area theaters were packed for Spider-Man and now The Batman. I can't argue that ticket prices are getting ridiculous but I still enjoyed seeing Spider-Man in a packed theater with Dolby Cinema format. I have 65" screen at home with Dolby Atmos but i still enjoy the social aspect for film going a few times a year.

I also look at all the hard work the teams put into these films like Turning Red and find it disappointing when it gets shoveled onto streaming immediately, instead of presented in a theater at least for a few weeks.
I'd like to add for people saying parents aren't comfortable.... you would never have guessed that at our local Spiderman screenings. And I'm in California in a super covid conscious area. I wish it could get a dual release

Just received an alert from MDE regarding new Passholder Magnets…

Our newest magnets aren't just EARidescent – they're also packed with pixie dust! That means you can bring select Annual Passholder magnets to life with augmented reality (AR). Just use your mobile phone to go to PassholderMagnets.com for simple how-to instructions and direct links to special AR Lenses and Effects that bring the magic of select Passholder magnets to life. 

What are Passholder Magnets with AR?
 They are select Passholder magnets that are enhanced with augmented reality to magically bring them to life. 

Which Walt Disney World Passholder magnets are magic enabled?
You can find the complete selection of special Passholder magnets on the main page of the PassholderMagnets.com website. Be sure to check back often as we add new Passholder magnets to the list! 

What do I need to bring my Passholder magnet to life?
With your mobile phone, you can experience the magic of select Passholder magnets through special augmented reality "lenses and effects" created for Facebook and Snapchat mobile apps. 

So, grab your latest magnet and discover what all the pixie dust tucked inside can do!

Just an FYI to anyone who has one of the older yellow passholder magnets with the same design, the AR still works with it.

Disney has been gutting Pixar since they've acquired them. From what I've heard they've slowly been moving the best animators over to Disney Animation, they've increased work loads and tightened time lines, and they've reduced overall staffing. Basically they're setting them up to fail and fade into obscurity by cannibalising the pervious competition. If I had to guess the long term plan is to have all animated features come from Disney Animation and leave Pixar with the straight to VHS/DVD type movies + their Pixar shorts (which a lot of recent ones have come from interns/college programs). Facebook did the same thing with many of the companies they acquired, take the talent, reduce the resources and drive the traffic to the main business.
Interesting take on the current situation. Can't say I follow the industry very closely. Can you tell me where you get your info from?

Interesting take on the current situation. Can't say I follow the industry very closely. Can you tell me where you get your info from?

I'm not sure what websites are banned here but I'll try and be brief. A lot of the new animated pictures it's really difficult to find out who animated them, for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_staff
If you look at the list of animators for newer movies it's blank, I tested this by going to the Pixar's page for Luca and all that was listed under credits was director's and managers. If you want to look at time lines for increased work load and shorter production time look at release dates.
Disney acquired Pixar in 2006, note the increase in production:

toy story 1995
a bug's life 1998
Toy Story 2 1999
Monster's Inc 2001
Finding Nemo 2003
The Incredible 2004
Cars 2006
Ratatouille 2007
Wall-E 2008
Up 2009
Toy Story 3 2010
Cars 2 2011
Brave 2012
Monsters University 2013
Inside Out 2015
The Good Dinosaur 2015
Finding Dory 2016
Cars 3 2017
Coco 2017
Incredibles 2 2018
Toy Story 4 2019
Onward 2020
Soul 2020
Luca 2021

I watch some youtube channels that go over industry changes and movements like ClownFish TV and read different articles from things like Vulture news and what not. You can argue there was an exodus after Lasseter left just like it happened at Activation/Blizzard when the State of California started taking action against them for sexual harassments and wrongful terminations but it all gets really rabbit hole like. I try to keep up to date on the market movement but there's always just so much change happening the past few years.

I will caveat and say a lot of the original animators were put on Lightyear, Disney wants this movie to do well for sure.

Disney Enchantment Moves to Odd Showtime Starting May 16

Starting May 16th, Disney Enchantment will be shown at 9:20pm instead of 9pm. The move comes as Magic Kingdom extends its baseline hours from a 9pm close to a 10pm close.

It’s unknown how long Disney Enchantment will be performed at 9:20pm, but it stays at that showtime as far as the calendar goes (currently May 18th).
Interesting...we'll be at MK 5/20 & 5/21...awaiting those hours soon.

Wine Bar George is Bringing BACK Its Wine Events in Disney World!

In-person wine events are returning to Disney Springs on March 22nd, 2022 with Master Sommelier George Miliotes and Monica Ordóñez.

During the event, guests can indulge in a special multi-course dinner from Executive Chef Ron Rupert. Selections from the Jorge Ordóñez portfolio will go with each course (this is a WINE event, after all!). Guests will be able to try a variety of wines from Toro, Rueda, and more.

Tickets can be purchased HERE

Aulani Is Changing Its COVID-19 Policies

This resort recently updated language on their website to reflect a major change coming to the State of Hawaii’s health and safety measures. Beginning on March 26th, 2022, the Safe Travels program in Hawaii will end. Starting on that day, “there will be no COVID-related travel requirements for arriving domestic guests,” according to the Safe Travels website.

Note that this change applies to domestic guests ONLY. Aulani notes that “international guests must continue to follow the travel requirements put in place by the federal government.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter