Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort debuts new holiday attractions, including Elf Outpost and Tales from the North Pole

This year's holiday season celebration includes:

NEW – Elf Outpost

Santa's elves have set up shop at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin – and they're happy to show you around! Join Santa's elves for a tour of their Elf Outpost, including the toy workshop and bakery, where guests can enjoy complimentary cookie decorating. The fully stocked toy workshop will also offer crafts and toys for purchase.

NEW – Tales from the North Pole

Twice nightly, the elves will treat guests to milk and cookies and a special reading of the Christmas classic, "'Twas the Night Before Christmas," wishing a merry Christmas to all and a good night to all. Families will also receive their own book to take home. (Paid experience.)

Santa and Mrs. Claus Meet and Greets

Santa, Mrs. Claus, and Kandy Kane, decked out in their favorite Florida vacation attire, will meet guests in Santa's customized Tiki hut on select nights Nov - Dec. This unique holiday photo opportunity is filled with Florida flair featuring reindeer, palm trees, flamingos and holiday cheer.

Life-Size Chocolate Holiday Santa Scene

Constructed entirely of chocolate, this life-size sculpture weighs approximately 2,000 pounds! The sculpture is showcased in the lobby of the Swan. It features a chocolate Santa sitting in his chair, a 7-foot-tall, 400-pound chocolate nutcracker, a chocolate fireplace, a chocolate Christmas tree, and a chocolate toy train. The scene will be displayed in the lobby of the resort throughout December and is 100 percent edible.

Magic Keys for Santa on Christmas Eve

How will Santa deliver presents to each guest room without a chimney? With a magic key of course! Children can hang a magic key on their door to help Santa find his way on Christmas Eve. Magic keys are available on December 24 at the concierge desk.

Dancing Lights Show

A musical light show transforms the outdoor causeway each evening into a holiday spectacle with dancing illuminated palm trees and favorite holiday tunes. The performances occur regularly from sunset through 10 pm.

Save 25%

Swan and Dolphin guests are on the nice list this year, and can receive up to 25 percent off a second room with code SANTA.
I hope someone posts pictures of these

I couldn’t read the first article (paywall), but the second really didn’t seem to have anything to do with how the property was being managed. Basically it seemed like a long article just to say that normal life happens in Celebration as much as anywhere else.
I lived in Orlando for some time and from what I remember, there was a murder and a suicide and news organizations ran with that since it was supposed to be an idyllic place, but those things happen anywhere... There was some controversy over Disney selling to private group, there was controversy about the way the school was run (it started out very different, there was a lot of outdoor education), there were some town amenities marketed that didn't end up happening, and there were some initial complaints about construction quality if I remember correctly. However, I will say that there's also been a lot of sensationalism in the reporting and I also know a couple who currently live there and love it. I like one of the restaurants there called Columbia (Cuba/Spain fusion food).

It's no utopia, but it's a cute town. I think Disney is being more careful in how they are market the storyliving places and trying not to promise too much.

There was some controversy over Disney selling to private group, there was controversy about the way the school was run (it started out very different, there was a lot of outdoor education), there were some town amenities marketed that didn't end up happening, and there were some initial complaints about construction quality if I remember correctly.
Interesting. This must be why Cotino has all of the disclaimers.

"No representation or warranty is made about the continued operation/maintenance, long-term water levels or features of Cotino Bay; water levels may fluctuate. No representation is made as to whether the Town Center will be constructed.

Disney does not guarantee obligations of, nor provide any warranties for, the construction of community infrastructure, recreational areas or unaffiliated parties who build homes in the community.

No guarantee is made that the community, the Club or any facilities or improvements therein will continue to be managed by Disney, use the name "Disney" or otherwise be associated with Disney."

I couldn’t read the first article (paywall), but the second really didn’t seem to have anything to do with how the property was being managed. Basically it seemed like a long article just to say that normal life happens in Celebration as much as anywhere else.
Basically the most important snipit:

When Negrin, now a trim middle-aged man who resembles Nathan Fielder, arrived in Celebration, he didn’t stray far from the private-equity playbook. He inked the deal with Disney in January of 2004, buying Town Center for approximately $22 million, according to sources familiar with the sales documents. Immediately after, Negrin set up a series of business entities, all with confusingly similar names: Lexin Capital; Lexin Celebration, LLC ; Lexin Celebration Commercial, LLC; Lexin Capital; and Lexin Reality, LLC all had stakes in the downtown. In May of 2005, according to documents, Lexin Celebration Commercial secured a promissory note with Greenwich Capital Financial Products, refinancing the town and pulling out $23 million in equity.

Lexin also established something called the Town Center Foundation. It was a master association to oversee the entire downtown. It was also a clever piece of legal maneuvering. They had acquired 21 buildings in Celebration: nine of them were commercial buildings, filled with high-end shops and restaurants; two were residential; and ten were “mixed use” buildings—meaning they contained both stores and apartments. Lexin converted all the apartments into condominiums, and sold them off for approximately $20 million, according to sources familiar with the sales documents. In total, there were 105 units, enough space for around 350 residents, who moved in shortly after. But when Lexin formed the Foundation, they filed it in accordance with a Florida law called Statute 617, meaning it operated as a corporate non-profit, not a homeowner’s association, even though it would oversee 105 homes (Negrin maintains that this was not an unusual move). The homeowners had their own organization—the Town Center Condominium Association—but the Foundation, run by a board of three Lexin employees, held the majority power and could pass measures unanimously without consulting the residents.

At first, Kelly said, no one noticed the red flags. Celebration’s buildings were not exactly in peak condition. They’d been built by third-party contractors under a punishing time crunch. Shoddy craftsmanship was a running theme, though Disney was always aggressive on maintenance. “Town Center was spick and polished,” Kelly said. But soon, windows, walls, pipes, roofs, balconies, staircases—structural elements you’ve never even thought of—started breaking down and they stayed broken for years. “I started to look back, and I was like, why isn’t this being done? They own this. This should matter to them. That was in my more naive days,” Kelly said. “What has been the truth is that from the moment Metin Negrin bought this town, it was his golden ticket. He had no intention of doing anything other than maximizing his income and not putting a nickel into the town.”

Essentially Disney sold their stake in the city to a private firm who borrowed against the equity of their share of the businesses and homes in Celebration and never fixed anything but kept collecting dues from the residents. This resulted in the firm telling the residents they had to pay even more in dues while they had leaky roofs and moldy buildings for years. There was a lawsuit filed against the firm on behalf of the residents but I can't find what the outcome was.

We looked hard at Celebration, but just seemed too expensive and high HOA for what you got. Never knew all of this, interesting to read. We stop over though and it's always appeared very nice.

I lived in Orlando for some time and from what I remember, there was a murder and a suicide and news organizations ran with that since it was supposed to be an idyllic place, but those things happen anywhere... There was some controversy over Disney selling to private group, there was controversy about the way the school was run (it started out very different, there was a lot of outdoor education), there were some town amenities marketed that didn't end up happening, and there were some initial complaints about construction quality if I remember correctly. However, I will say that there's also been a lot of sensationalism in the reporting and I also know a couple who currently live there and love it. I like one of the restaurants there called Columbia (Cuba/Spain fusion food).

It's no utopia, but it's a cute town. I think Disney is being more careful in how they are market the storyliving places and trying not to promise too much.

Basically the most important snipit:

When Negrin, now a trim middle-aged man who resembles Nathan Fielder, arrived in Celebration, he didn’t stray far from the private-equity playbook. He inked the deal with Disney in January of 2004, buying Town Center for approximately $22 million, according to sources familiar with the sales documents. Immediately after, Negrin set up a series of business entities, all with confusingly similar names: Lexin Capital; Lexin Celebration, LLC ; Lexin Celebration Commercial, LLC; Lexin Capital; and Lexin Reality, LLC all had stakes in the downtown. In May of 2005, according to documents, Lexin Celebration Commercial secured a promissory note with Greenwich Capital Financial Products, refinancing the town and pulling out $23 million in equity.

Lexin also established something called the Town Center Foundation. It was a master association to oversee the entire downtown. It was also a clever piece of legal maneuvering. They had acquired 21 buildings in Celebration: nine of them were commercial buildings, filled with high-end shops and restaurants; two were residential; and ten were “mixed use” buildings—meaning they contained both stores and apartments. Lexin converted all the apartments into condominiums, and sold them off for approximately $20 million, according to sources familiar with the sales documents. In total, there were 105 units, enough space for around 350 residents, who moved in shortly after. But when Lexin formed the Foundation, they filed it in accordance with a Florida law called Statute 617, meaning it operated as a corporate non-profit, not a homeowner’s association, even though it would oversee 105 homes (Negrin maintains that this was not an unusual move). The homeowners had their own organization—the Town Center Condominium Association—but the Foundation, run by a board of three Lexin employees, held the majority power and could pass measures unanimously without consulting the residents.

At first, Kelly said, no one noticed the red flags. Celebration’s buildings were not exactly in peak condition. They’d been built by third-party contractors under a punishing time crunch. Shoddy craftsmanship was a running theme, though Disney was always aggressive on maintenance. “Town Center was spick and polished,” Kelly said. But soon, windows, walls, pipes, roofs, balconies, staircases—structural elements you’ve never even thought of—started breaking down and they stayed broken for years. “I started to look back, and I was like, why isn’t this being done? They own this. This should matter to them. That was in my more naive days,” Kelly said. “What has been the truth is that from the moment Metin Negrin bought this town, it was his golden ticket. He had no intention of doing anything other than maximizing his income and not putting a nickel into the town.”

Essentially Disney sold their stake in the city to a private firm who borrowed against the equity of their share of the businesses and homes in Celebration and never fixed anything but kept collecting dues from the residents. This resulted in the firm telling the residents they had to pay even more in dues while they had leaky roofs and moldy buildings for years. There was a lawsuit filed against the firm on behalf of the residents but I can't find what the outcome was.

Thank you!! I was wondering if there was something like this. It is a bit sad though.

We looked hard at Celebration, but just seemed too expensive and high HOA for what you got. Never knew all of this, interesting to read. We stop over though and it's always appeared very nice.
We used to go look at the model homes on non-park days just for fun. There used to be a nice little sandwich shop on Front St. that we'd stop at before starting our drive home.

Len Testa was living in a condo/apartment that he had to move out of, because the balconies were deemed structurally unsound. This does happen in a lot of places. It could also be a problem with the soil there. However, it’s sounding like it was sort of endemic.

We also looked at Celebration back in the 90s. We ended up building in Hunter’s Creek, which was blink and you’ll miss it back then. (We no longer live in FL.) We used to go Celebration one Saturday month to their farmers market and to eat lunch. The market was fabulous. Not sure if they still do it (or if it’s still as good), but I’d highly rec it if it’s still reasonably the same.

Disney Resorts to Continue Supplying H2O Bath Products Under New Brand

During the 2023 Disney Vacation ClubCondominium Association Meeting, Vice President - Resort Operations Alison Armor indicated that Disney had acquired the rights to the formula for the H2O products and would continue to produce them under their own Disney resorts brand.

Most hotels, villas and Disney Cruise Line ships have been converted to wall-mounted bulk dispensers in recent years. Some are still utilizing the smaller single-use bottles which are replaced between guests. No word on whether the products will be made available for purchase in Disney gift shops.

Well this is good news but unless the only source is nailed to your shower stall it solves nothing

RE: Celebration and its workmanship...

My ex-husband, a union carpenter in Illinois, worked for one of the companies that had a hand in building Celebration. (Not sure if there was more than one but his company was defo one of them.) What's really sad is that in Illinois, they were known for quality. My ex had an opportunity to come down and work on Celebration and didn't because Florida wasn't unionized.

Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom Hours Extended Week of Christmas 2023

Magic Kingdom will open an hour earlier, at 8:00 a.m., every day from December 24 through 30. Early entry for Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests will begin at 7:30 a.m.

Disney has extended park hours to midnight every night from December 24 through 30, too.

Disney’s Hollywood Studios will now open at 8:30 a.m., with early entry beginning at 8:00 a.m., from December 24 through 30. The park will still close at 9:00 p.m.

Disney’s Animal Kingdom will open at 8:00 a.m. instead of 9:00 a.m. from December 24 through 30, with early entry at 7:30 a.m. Evening hours have been extended to 8:00 p.m. from December 25 (Christmas Day) through 30. The park will still close at 7:00 p.m. on December 24 (Christmas Eve).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter