Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it's a compromise between Disney and him.

Could definitely see that and then he moves into a consultancy role when he can still have some input when he want but isn't working full time (and can do other things - projects, books, speaking tours, etc) and Disney saves $

I struggle to think they would just fire him outright and never have anything to do with him again

Could definitely see that and then he moves into a consultancy role when he can still have some input when he want but isn't working full time (and can do other things - projects, books, speaking tours, etc) and Disney saves $

I struggle to think they would just fire him outright and never have anything to do with him again
I have a feeling that’s what’s going to happen if it hasn’t already. From what I understand WDI has been gutted.

I don’t buy it at all. Like @rteetz said above, he is as close to untouchable as they come. He’s the face of Imagineering. Now, was he forced/offered to take early retirement? That I would believe, but to be laid off, no way. Also, considering there isn’t a firm answer as to whether Voyage of Little Mermaid is actually closed for good, your rumor source isn’t too believable.
If Rhode is gone, all is lost. Reminds me of the fall of Napoleon's Imperial Guard at Waterloo.

"Other French soldiers even referred to Napoleon's Imperial Guard as "the Immortals".[1]

The Guard played a major part in the climax of the Battle of Waterloo. It was thrown into the battle at the last minute to salvage a victory for Napoleon. Completely outnumbered, it faced terrible fire from the British lines, and began to retreat. For the first (and only) time in its history the Middle Guard retreated without orders. At the sight of this, Napoleon's army lost all hope of victory. The Middle Guard broke completely but the Old Guard (and some of the Young Guard) battalions held their formation and secured the retreat of the remainder of the French Army before being almost annihilated by British and Prussian artillery fire and cavalry charges."

If Rhode is gone, all is lost. Reminds me of the fall of Napoleon's Imperial Guard at Waterloo.

"Other French soldiers even referred to Napoleon's Imperial Guard as "the Immortals".[1]

The Guard played a major part in the climax of the Battle of Waterloo. It was thrown into the battle at the last minute to salvage a victory for Napoleon. Completely outnumbered, it faced terrible fire from the British lines, and began to retreat. For the first (and only) time in its history the Middle Guard retreated without orders. At the sight of this, Napoleon's army lost all hope of victory. The Middle Guard broke completely but the Old Guard (and some of the Young Guard) battalions held their formation and secured the retreat of the remainder of the French Army before being almost annihilated by British and Prussian artillery fire and cavalry charges."
This is a bit hyperbolic. Imagineering has survived tough times before and will survive the tough times now. The fact of the matter is that there won't be any big imagineering projects for quite a while due to COVID. Disney is in a survival mode as a company as there is not assurance that things will get totally back to normal in a short period of time. Even once the virus is behind us, there is still going to be a huge recession to deal with.

This is a bit hyperbolic. Imagineering has survived tough times before and will survive the tough times now. The fact of the matter is that there won't be any big imagineering projects for quite a while due to COVID. Disney is in a survival mode as a company as there is not assurance that things will get totally back to normal in a short period of time. Even once the virus is behind us, there is still going to be a huge recession to deal with.
Yeah, it's all very sad.

All of these extras will come back eventually. It’s just going to take a long time.
Iv said it several times before and people always think I'm wrong, but people said when MK nighttime parade went it would be back, AK parade - it will be back, HS parade - it will be back, DLP night time parade - it will be back. It was before I really knew the parks but I bet people said the same about Epcots parade as well.

The sad fact is that cutting the magic and entertainment isn't something new they have only done for covid. It has long been a disney policy to cut high costs where there is not direct revenue they can measure against that cost.

Disney isn’t going bankrupt, for one.

Second, why would they lay off a ton of people, many of whom are critical to running the parks, unless they had no choice?
Surely that 2nd sentence shows that the 1st sentence may not be true?

Sure, they're not going bankrupt in the next 6 months. But its going to take a lot longer than 6 months for much of their business to get anywhere near to where it was. Meanwhile, they still have to service their huge debt they have built up.

Hasn't 2020 taught most of us that anything is possible by now?

In theory, that's what should happen, at least to some extent, unless some of this was going to happen anyway and CV is just a cover. We will eventually get back to normal, and when we do, I can't imagine Disney wouldn't need more employees. I don't believe Disney was employing 28,000 unnecessarily before. At least a percentage should return.
I think it will be too far down the line for a lot to return. Its gonna be 12 months at least before we even might be in a place were cv is almost gone with no threats of additional waves. Most of those laid off will have had to take whatever job they can in that time. Many of those jobs might actually pay more than Disney was doing as well.

Photopass photographers totally gone? oh wow. Well I guess they are purging all their "extra" money makers. The parks will be like they were back in the day -- low crowds, fun rides, characters randomly out and about. But I will miss the photopass. It was always something I got (and I valued the AP for including).
Low crowds? Seems unlikely going by wdw in recent days.

Surely that 2nd sentence shows that the 1st sentence may not be true?

Sure, they're not going bankrupt in the next 6 months. But its going to take a lot longer than 6 months for much of their business to get anywhere near to where it was. Meanwhile, they still have to service their huge debt they have built up.

Hasn't 2020 taught most of us that anything is possible by now?

If, and it's a huge if, that was going to happen >6 months from now, it doesn't mean the theme parks wouldn't still be alive. I've seen companies declare bankruptcy, absolve themselves of being debt ridden, and then re-emerge under a different flag/ownership while partitioning out business divisions.

If, and it's a huge if, that was going to happen >6 months from now, it doesn't mean the theme parks wouldn't still be alive. I've seen companies declare bankruptcy, absolve themselves of being debt ridden, and then re-emerge under a different flag/ownership while partitioning out business divisions.
Absolutely!

each time I open my social media another friend has posted they got the call, most recently one from costuming at MK. I was just thinking, obviously awful for those getting fired, but also awful for those that have an endless call sheet to give out the bad news.

each time I open my social media another friend has posted they got the call, most recently one from costuming at MK. I was just thinking, obviously awful for those getting fired, but also awful for those that have an endless call sheet to give out the bad news.

That's terrible. Some of those folks are going to have trouble finding new jobs too because their expertise is so specific. Not saying they aren't skilled, just that I don't know how jobs are available in these highly specific categories. Hoping for the best for them. Those are the folks that add that special layer of detail to Disney that make it a cut above the rest.

This is quoted directly from poster Literally Nobody on WDWMagic.

"From what I understand, this is being held close to the vest for now. But will be announced to a broader audience internally, and then publicly.

At this point, I will label it rumor, but I heard it from two people I trust."

This is the same guy who broke the news that Voyage of the Little Mermaid wasn't coming back. So I do trust him on what he posts.
That is sad what’s happening to the Disney cast members 😭😭

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter