Disney Pin Celebration 2010 - Trade City, U.S.A.

We are staying at the Boardwalk. I love this event, the people are very nice, but be prepared to stand in lines. :scared1:
Penny:hippie:

So, give me an example of what I would stand in line for. Just curious. Also, we are not scheduled to come in until Friday morning. Is there a reason that I should break my neck to make the drive any earlier. We are 10 hours away.

You all gave me courage. I registered tonight and am hoping hoping hoping for the pin also. I just hope I can go!! How does the pin registration work? Do you have to pay for the pins when you register, or at the pin event? How do they choose who gets which pins? It will be my first pin event and am not sure how it all works? Is there any benefit to registering for the pins I want right away, if it is all random? Thanks.

I found out I am getting the early bird registration pin. :banana: I can't wait.

So, give me an example of what I would stand in line for. Just curious. Also, we are not scheduled to come in until Friday morning. Is there a reason that I should break my neck to make the drive any earlier. We are 10 hours away.

Many times (I can't promise for sure about this year) you can register and pick up some of your pins the day before and do pin trading. Last year it was in the Yacht & Beach Club Convention Center from 12 to 7. You stand in line because they have pin trading boards. Many times they have some Great pins (new Cast Lanyards, Artists Proofs) on the boards. You get a chance to trade one or two pins on the boards. you have one minute to do that. It is not unusual to wait for 30 minutes or more in the line to get to the front. You don't have to do it, but it is certainly worth it I think. :banana:
Penny

Many times (I can't promise for sure about this year) you can register and pick up some of your pins the day before and do pin trading. Last year it was in the Yacht & Beach Club Convention Center from 12 to 7. You stand in line because they have pin trading boards. Many times they have some Great pins (new Cast Lanyards, Artists Proofs) on the boards. You get a chance to trade one or two pins on the boards. you have one minute to do that. It is not unusual to wait for 30 minutes or more in the line to get to the front. You don't have to do it, but it is certainly worth it I think. :banana:
Penny

Ok! I am up for that! Getting my pin vest ready to go!!!!:banana:

We are staying at the Boardwalk. I love this event, the people are very nice, but be prepared to stand in lines. :scared1:
Penny:hippie:

The lines for the pin trading boards are horrendous!!!!:scared1: I just didn't have the patience for that. My DH and my dad did it a couple of times, but not me. Last year, the deceiving thing was the boards were all so close together that the lines didn't "look" that bad, but they kind of wove around each other. My dad got in one line and I thought this won't take too long, 45 minutes later he was finally out of the line.:rotfl: At least he got the pin he was looking for.:thumbsup2

It's not a Pin Event (or Disney, for that matter!) without standing in lines.
In the good ole days, we used to stand in lines for hours (literally!) to pick up our pins and merchandise (uphill, in both directions)! ;)

You forgot to add that it was raining and snowing while we were standing in line. :)

I found something for people to do in line. :lmao: Last October when I went to the Central Jersey Pin Event, I put my "Holy Grails" (pins that I have been searching for) on the back of my pin vest (I bought a waiter's vest and it was only $18 and it wasn't that heavy & hot). I was able to get one of my holy grails. I am planning on wearing it to the pin event & hopefully I will find a coveted holy grail. (I also make t-shirts for each day of the event. :rolleyes1)

Here's what I have on the back of my shirt.:cloud9:

It's thumb size so you can click on it if you want to see the regular size.
Penny

How did you get the pictures of the pins to put on the vest/jacket? Did you make them out of paper or fabric and how did you attach them. It is a really good idea.

Hi - i am a member of the dizboards community and they own pin pics. I asked for permission to use th pins and then placed them in a DISign. Then printed the DISign and ironed it on the vest. if you want one like it let me know via pm. I am out of town this week but will get back to u next week. Penny:goodvibes

Does anyone know how the days go at this pin celebration? We would like to make ADR's for lunch and dinner but don't want to miss anything exciting. What is a good time and what are the scheduled events?

On Thursday you will be able to pick up the items from your RSP between 1:00 and 7:00 at the Y&B Convention Center. And there will be trading and signings going on there. This way, especially if you get box or framed sets you don't have to haul them around a Park all day.

Both Friday and Saturday it will open around Park opening and will close down about 5:00. So you will have no problems for Dinner. You would probably want to just do a quick service around lunch, although there is not much that would be missed for an hour or so.

On Sunday basically you will have opportunity to buy anything that has not yet sold, including limited editions. About 10:30 the doors are thrown open to the general public, so most people, otrher than the most serious traders, will run away.

Most years I leave on Sunday so I haven't been around to see what's happening that day. This year it will be nice to do that. But I will leave when it opens to the general public:scared1:. I really enjoy going early to pick up my pins and do some pin trading. That is always a fun time. Can't wait. :goodvibes
There is also some pin trading in the back room. Last year I brought some of my pins (I have about 1000 traders:rolleyes1 & want to get rid of some of them) and did some trading in the back room. I was surprised at how much fun I had trading (normally I am too shy to do that). Since there are many people in the back room that are WELL versed in pin trading, if you want to do some trading, make sure you know their worth (check on pinpics) and the worth of your pins. That way you are sure to make a fair trade. I set up a book with my pins and their worth listed on with 4 columns on each page. It helps a little. :goodvibes
Penny

Does anyone know how the days go at this pin celebration? We would like to make ADR's for lunch and dinner but don't want to miss anything exciting. What is a good time and what are the scheduled events?

Last year we did quick service for lunch and table service meals for dinner and that worked out just fine. If we could have eaten in World Showplace we would have just so we didn't have to go out in the heat.

My 11 year old DD and I are going to this for the first time in August. We are both avid traders and have a nice collection at home. I mainly collect Chip and Dale and she likes Tink so I tend to only trade for those pins while she trades for whatever she likes.

Here's my questions:

How many traders should we take? I have already been buying and asking friends who have been before, but I get completely different numbers. Is 500 enough?

What's the best way to haul all our traders? We have pin bags and lanyards, but should we bring all of this to the convention.

I guess I just don't know what to expect, but we are definitely like kids waiting on Christmas!

My 11 year old DD and I are going to this for the first time in August. We are both avid traders and have a nice collection at home. I mainly collect Chip and Dale and she likes Tink so I tend to only trade for those pins while she trades for whatever she likes.

Here's my questions:

How many traders should we take? I have already been buying and asking friends who have been before, but I get completely different numbers. Is 500 enough?

What's the best way to haul all our traders? We have pin bags and lanyards, but should we bring all of this to the convention.

I guess I just don't know what to expect, but we are definitely like kids waiting on Christmas!

Depends on what your trading plans are. When I go, I only trade on the trading boards, not in the back room where there are lots of individuals trading. I bring traders (mostly hidden mickey pins from previous years, or pins that have a low value) to trade on the boards. My experience is that it takes 30 minutes in line for each time you want to trade on the boards (I think there are like 8 boards in the room...), so I would go through maybe 20 traders a day at the event. Of course I go through lots more in the parks and will probably bring 150 pins for lanyard trading. The first time that I went, I did do a little trading in the back area, but the second time I stuck with the boards as they had completer pins for the current hidden mickey sets on the trader boards and they were never released in the parks. It is a really fun event!

Here's my questions:

There's different ways of doing it, but I'd bring a small pin bag you don't mind carrying around and then use a lanyard as well. FYI: you should get a lanyard when you check in for the event that has your pass for the event. Last year it was just a simple black lanyard, nothing fancy.

You'll be amazed at the "collections" people bring in to trade. Suitcases, bins, etc. There will be plenty to choose from.

Here's my questions:

I forgot to mention that I think the best time to trade with others is on Thursday night at the pre-registration. I would definitely bring pins that are much better traders for that. I usually decide what I am looking for before I go and then bring the kind of traders that I think would be a fair trade for those pins. I usually bring a zippered 3 ring large binder for those pins. I usually do not bring the binder to the event because you have to carry it around all day and that gets tiring.

Hi! Just found this thread. Dh and I are going to the pin event this year. It will be our 3rd event at Epcot and previously we went to one that was held at HS. We are staying at the Beach Club, like we did for the event last year. It was very convenient.

My only complaint is standing in the lines all day! I know you stand in line everywhere at WDW. But at least in the parks, you go on a ride and get to sit down. At the pin events there is no sitting at all - just jumping from 1 line to the next all day long. It really kills my back!! Last year I saw some people who had fold up seats and even 2 young women who had rolling garden seats that they used in line. After awhile, dh and I resorted to sitting on the floor while in line and scooting along on the floor.

Is anybody bringing in any kind of seats to sit on? Outdoor World and LL Bean have pack seats (seats on a tripod) that are very light and fold up the size of an umbrella. Would this be ok to bring in? They would fit very easily in our backpack. I know people did bring in seats last year but I was wondering if WDW officially allows these to be brought in thru security??

Looking forward to seeing you guys.

I would bring the portable seats. The lines are long and move slowly. I'm in an ECV due to back problems, so I have my own seat. If I didn't, I would bring a portable one. Penny

Reminder, get to the park early to get in line. Last year there was a long line to get in. There was a sniffer dog at the check points so they didn't need to go through all the bags and suitcases people were bringing intothe park. Plus people lined up outside the venue, once they got in the parks. If you picked up your registration stuff the day before, you could head right toward the trading boards. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter