Disney Pixar's SOUL

My daughter and I really enjoyed it. I really appreciated the message. The funniest parts to me are all the past mentors that try to help 22. and the cat scenes. Love the barber shop scene, and sure made me pause and reconsider a lot seeing the scenes showing what he's done with his life. Well done movie, crazy animation for sure, and rather mature for younger audiences. I can understand if they're not into it.
Also, where is John Ratzenberger????? He wasn't in the credits, so I started researching, and according to the director , he has a very small cameo???? I'm going to go back today and try and figure it out, but if y'all know, please share.

I just asked my 7 yo if she remembers the movie with the blue soul and the cat. She said “yeah. My favorite part was when he came back to life”

“when he turned into the cat?”

“no. At the end.”

so she must have taken something more meaningful from it. Or at least found it to have a satisfying happy ending to wrap everything up. She watched most of it except towards the end (I think when 22 was becoming a lost soul) and then came back at the end. And she laughed at the “stupid” humor along the way.

I was kind of surprised she seemed to enjoy it. She hasn’t watched it again, though. We actually just watched Onward for the second time and she sat through most of that too. These 2 movies just weren’t instant hits for me.

My favorite part of Soul was Richard Ayoade. I loved him in the IT Crowd and thought he was a good choice to voice a smart sounding character. :)

I saw Soul yesterday and I think Disney really hit it out of the ballpark with it. With Jamie Foxx providing the voice of Joe Gardner I think Jamie really shined in the role and Tina Fey really amazes in providing the voice for 22 and she played a likable character that made 22 have a personality all her own. I must admit some parts of Soul were kind of scary and creepy but as with any Disney/Pixar movie I have never figured out nearly every movie has to have a sad ending? Because 22's goodbye to Joe was the saddest thing I've seen and seemed to be a copy of Bing Bong's farewell in Inside Out to Joy. But other than that Soul has a good message for everyone that you can dream of anything and chase your dreams and I really liked Soul a lot

Hey, at least Up and Toy Story 3 got nominations.

You are correct (and those were well-deserved). In my silly nitpickyness, I still put a * on those, because they happened in the 2 recent years when the Academy rules said there HAD to be 10 Best Picture nominees - and not even those snooty-tooty Academy people could say with a straight face that Up and TS3 were not in the 10 best movies of their respective years. What Soul could do is get a nomination in a year (the last year for now) that doesn't force them to choose 10 nominees AND has an Animated Feature category they can shove it off to so they can ignore it. (BATB, which I love, got the nomination before there was an Animated Feature category so if they wanted to recognize it, they had to put it in Best Pic.)

I would rather have seen Zootopia and Coco acheive this, but I will happily take Soul for a real no-excuses BP nomination.

I didn’t hate it but I didn’t love it either. The funny parts did not sufficiently balance the dark parts for me, which got very dark at times and weighed heavily on me. I think it touched areas too deep for children, especially when 22 was confronting her inner demons. I’m not sure children need to be introduced to that level of self-doubt, so strongly represented, but I don’t have children so others may feel differently.

SPOILER ALERT! Don't read if you haven't seen it.

I loved it, not a kids movie and nice to see an animation aimed at older kids and adults. Had a strong message that I found very affirming, especially the part about finding your purpose. The music was wonderful, I'm a fan of Jon Batiste so I'm biased, but, the only part I found sad was seeing Mr Mitten's soul heading up the escalator, that's what you get being a crazy cat lady, not going to give the rest of that away.
I also loved how they were clearly influenced by the movie 'A Matter of Life and Death' for the afterlife scenes, as to whether they have acknowledged it if you watch that wonderful movie then you will know what I'm talking about.

You are correct (and those were well-deserved). In my silly nitpickyness, I still put a * on those, because they happened in the 2 recent years when the Academy rules said there HAD to be 10 Best Picture nominees - and not even those snooty-tooty Academy people could say with a straight face that Up and TS3 were not in the 10 best movies of their respective years. What Soul could do is get a nomination in a year (the last year for now) that doesn't force them to choose 10 nominees AND has an Animated Feature category they can shove it off to so they can ignore it. (BATB, which I love, got the nomination before there was an Animated Feature category so if they wanted to recognize it, they had to put it in Best Pic.)

I would rather have seen Zootopia and Coco acheive this, but I will happily take Soul for a real no-excuses BP nomination.
The Oscars mean nothing nowadays, some of the best picture movies absolutely did not deserve it. Parasite did though.

I was in an existential mood. Watch Inside Out first, followed by Soul. My dozenth time for Inside Out, second time watching Soul.

It feels like two different movies. The first part for the adults, then it switches to a kids movie with the cat and being chased by Terry, and then it goes back mainly aimed at adults again for the last 15-20 minutes.
To be honest, there are two things I am not a fan of, the first part of the bits with the cat, it feels very standard slapstick, as if they were following a format. And I am also not a fan of the ending, where Joe gets to go back to Earth, while he was ready to die. It felt a bit forced to put a 'happy' ending in here.

It's still a nice movie, okay, middle of the road. Something to watch when you are feeling philosophical.

I do not think we will hear a lot about Soul in the future. It might be part of the Pixar-mix in a night show at one of the parks, but this is not the movie to make a show of, put in a parade or make a Meet & Greet out.
And I certainly hope they won't go for a Soul 2 that includes Joe as his storyline is complete. If they do, they are really out of creative ideas.

One other thing I noticed and did find interesting. When they are at the barbershop, the barber has tattoos. You don't see characters with tattoos often, unless there is a special meaning to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter