Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
they will wait and see if how bad reservations are affected before changing back. I assume this month and next, and possible May most people are already booked. It will be summer/fall that they may or may not feel the backlash...if there is any.,
What I don't like is that WDW is having their low-paid subordinates to make the calls. I don't expect any executives to call, but these CM's are being placed in the middle of something that they had no control over. And we will see, like you said, how reservations after 3/21 go.

Yes! I'm asking my friends to recommend off-site places. I'm having to "eat my words" :blush:

Yes, Disney is turning their unpaid spokespeople in to anti -advocates. It was always 'fun' to help someone new and show them the benefits of staying on property even though it cost a bit more. Now a lot are going to steer people away.

I’m glad I’m not alone. :thumbsup2

Most of the people who ask me for advice are first timers with young kids. Everyone flys. I'll just recommend they not rent a car. I almost always recommend Value resorts anyways.

That’s a good point. Only one of the families I’ve helped had young kids, so they flew, took MDE and stayed at Pop. Unfortunately, they plan on driving next time. :scared:

....The MK and Epcot deluxes seem to have more like 800 rooms (inc DVC) (Poly and WL are closer to 1000 now, apparently), whereas the moderates and values have closer to 2000 (POP has closer to 3000).

Are their car lots more than twice the size of the deluxes, then? (Genuine question, because I don't know!)

And do they have anywhere near the visitors and "illegal" parkers? Also, does Disney allow for all the spaces that these visitors (good and bad! *evil laugh*) take up at the deluxes in their calculations and justifications? ...Hmm.

the deluxes - the monorail resorts and the epcot resorts have serious parking problems because of all the day parkers who try to get around the parking fees in the theme parks by parking at the deluxes that are close to the parks (either MK or Epcot)...

the values, moderates and SSR and OKW do not have parking problems. They have more than ample parking for every guest to bring a car (though not every guest brings a car - but there is an excess of parking at all of those resorts).

I dont think the MK/EP deluxes would have enough spaces even if their overnight guests all brought cars....or even 1/2 their guests. Poly lot is very small, as is YC/BC.

you could be right - those lots are exceedingly small for their resorts - especially with the addition of DVC. Also the GF lot is miniscule - even before they added DVC.

my post was in answer to her question - the values and moderates, as well as SSR and OKW, have ample parking for everyone. More than ample.

My question (just to clarify) was does this excuse of the smaller deluxe lots really stand, IF you remove the problem of so many visitors and "illegal" parkers? In this sense, are the other lots that much bigger/ the deluxes that much smaller?

IOW, I realize there is sufficient parking at the mods and values, but would there be sufficient at the deluxes if they were mainly resort guests, as well? :car:

ETA: If they really want to differentiate between the deluxe/mods/values, shouldn't they be making sure there are actually more than enough spaces at the deluxes? (Instead of offering fewer spaces in the first place; allowing others to take, even, those up; and still charging the resort guests a deluxe price for them!) If I'm paying more I should be MORE guaranteed a spot!

IOW, Offering the deluxe guests even less - and charging them even more? If their excuse is smaller lots - that's what they should be addressing!

Last edited:
Received a phone call from WDW today. The CM on the line could not have been better. She was excellent. She stated that WDW is reconsidering the fees, but don't see it disappearing anytime soon. I aired my concerns for about 15 minutes and she kept reassuring me WDW considers the guests as important cogs. She also stated that many of the concerns that I have aired have been talked about by Jeff Drenning (?) and the rest of the board members. WDW did not expect this amount of backlash. I kept reiterating the "industry standards" line that WDW put out, and then I told her that WDW set the industry standard and that every place wanted to be like WDW. She stated that has been one of the biggest complaints.

With that said, I doubt that anything happens.

Thanks for sharing this.

Do you believe what she passed on about "guests as important cogs"??

It's hard to imagine they sincerely considered all this at the table, even if at least some of it was aired. If they had, I would think they'd have gone about implementing it and communicating with guests on the matter differently.

When you think about the confusion and inconsistencies in how they imposed and shared changes like the construction at CBR and CSR; the whole new pet policy; the 'new room security measures' and, now, this - they give the impression of not having thought it through very thoroughly and, in their platitudes, but then inconsistent implementation and enforcement, they give the impression of not caring so much about guests these days.

I sent an email to the execs a few days ago as a UK-based visitor. They correlated my email address with my MDE account and called me yesterday. I spent about 20 mins on the phone to a representative who stressed that they care deeply about guest feedback. She mentioned the whole "industry standard line". I explained that Disney should not be compared to the industry standard and that they already charge a significant premium for their rooms. She then mentioned that they wanted to bring WDW in line with Disneyland and the Hawaii resort. I countered this by commenting that the three resorts are completely not comparable. WDW is huge with multiple attractions and resorts in a wide area, making transport critical. I complained that resort-to-resort transport is non-existant and driving to restaurants is far better than relying on a series of Disney buses. I then mentioned that charging so much more for Deluxe vs Value was simply taking further advantage of those guests that spend more to stay, and that by charging more to park per day at a resort than guests staying offsite pay to park at MK is ridiculous. I stressed that the answer to this is not to charge more to theme park guests! I mentioned that being slapped with a $300+ bill at the end of the stay leaves a very sour taste in the mouth and is not the final memory most guests will want to leave with.

Finally I commented that the service at WDW resorts is generally excellent, principally down to the cast members who greet guests on the front line. I tried to emphasise that ridiculous board-level decisions such as this only serve to undermine the hard work done by resort staff.

She stressed many times how important guest feeback is. I told her they've got it wrong on this one and don't be too proud to accept that. I don't know what will happen going forwards but at least I have left them fully aware of current opinion.

Thanks for sharing this.

Do you believe what she passed on about "guests as important cogs"??

It's hard to imagine they sincerely considered all this at the table, even if at least some of it was aired. If they had, I would think they'd have gone about implementing it and communicating with guests on the matter differently.

When you think about the confusion and inconsistencies in how they imposed and shared changes like the construction at CBR and CSR; the whole new pet policy; the 'new room security measures' and, now, this - they give the impression of not having thought it through very thoroughly and, in their platitudes, but then inconsistent implementation and enforcement, they give the impression of not caring so much about guests these days.
Like I mentioned in my post, I think it is unfair to have a low-paid CM speaking to us. I don't expect a CEO or anyone like that, but I believe that WDW has given them a list of talking points. With that said, if the bottom dollar takes a hit, then maybe WDW will reconsider. With that said, I'm sure that they will find another rate increase necessary, so it is a wash.
And I really question whether we are now "important cogs" or just "dollar signs."

I sent an email to the execs a few days ago as a UK-based visitor. They correlated my email address with my MDE account and called me yesterday. I spent about 20 mins on the phone to a representative who stressed that they care deeply about guest feedback. She mentioned the whole "industry standard line". I explained that Disney should not be compared to the industry standard and that they already charge a significant premium for their rooms. She then mentioned that they wanted to bring WDW in line with Disneyland and the Hawaii resort. I countered this by commenting that the three resorts are completely not comparable. WDW is huge with multiple attractions and resorts in a wide area, making transport critical. I complained that resort-to-resort transport is non-existant and driving to restaurants is far better than relying on a series of Disney buses. I then mentioned that charging so much more for Deluxe vs Value was simply taking further advantage of those guests that spend more to stay, and that by charging more to park per day at a resort than guests staying offsite pay to park at MK is ridiculous. I stressed that the answer to this is not to charge more to theme park guests! I mentioned that being slapped with a $300+ bill at the end of the stay leaves a very sour taste in the mouth and is not the final memory most guests will want to leave with.

Finally I commented that the service at WDW resorts is generally excellent, principally down to the cast members who greet guests on the front line. I tried to emphasise that ridiculous board-level decisions such as this only serve to undermine the hard work done by resort staff.

She stressed many times how important guest feeback is. I told her they've got it wrong on this one and don't be too proud to accept that. I don't know what will happen going forwards but at least I have left them fully aware of current opinion.

That was brought up as well. I advised her that DL did not have the area that WDW had and when plans were being drawn for WDW, they owned most of the area in the Orlando area so no rival hotels could be built just outside their park property like DL. WDW bought all of that property to keep guests on-site, DL did not.

Like I mentioned in my post, I think it is unfair to have a low-paid CM speaking to us. I don't expect a CEO or anyone like that, but I believe that WDW has given them a list of talking points. With that said, if the bottom dollar takes a hit, then maybe WDW will reconsider. With that said, I'm sure that they will find another rate increase necessary, so it is a wash.
And I really question whether we are now "important cogs" or just "dollar signs."

Exactly. ::yes::

And I agree it's unfair on the CMs on the phone; that's why I was careful to word it as what she "passed on". Don't want to blame the messenger. The people really responsible, seem shut away in their ivory towers and seem to view complaints in these circumstances as just something else to deal with rather than actually consider/address. IYSWIM.

maybe Disney can use the daily "room security" checks as an opportunity to collect the daily parking fees from guests as well...
mob-enforcer.jpg

That’s a good point. Only one of the families I’ve helped had young kids, so they flew, took MDE and stayed at Pop. Unfortunately, they plan on driving next time. :scared:
I wouldn't necessarily advise staying off property if someone was driving, but I'd definitely make sure they were aware of the fees, so they could compare onsite/offsite properties.

Received a phone call from WDW today. The CM on the line could not have been better. She was excellent. She stated that WDW is reconsidering the fees, but don't see it disappearing anytime soon. I aired my concerns for about 15 minutes and she kept reassuring me WDW considers the guests as important cogs. She also stated that many of the concerns that I have aired have been talked about by Jeff Drenning (?) and the rest of the board members. WDW did not expect this amount of backlash. I kept reiterating the "industry standards" line that WDW put out, and then I told her that WDW set the industry standard and that every place wanted to be like WDW. She stated that has been one of the biggest complaints.

With that said, I doubt that anything happens.
Rather than retype an entire post I've copied my post from another site.

I sent three e mails to three different addresses at WDW.
This morning I received an e mail from a CM stating that he tried to call me earlier but no one answered.
That had to be during my morning constitutional...............
The e mail has copies of all three of my letters.
Since I didn't leave a phone number on any of the mails I have to presume that WDW is cross referencing the complaining e mails with previously registered guests and people who use My Disney Experience.
They obviously want to confirm that the people complaining aren't just trolls.
The CM gave his name and work days/hours for this week and asked me to call back at my convenience.
Since I plan on a lengthy call
happy.png
I'll have to wait until tomorrow to call him back.
As others have stated, the parking fees are the last straw.
It's been like pulling teeth to get my Wife to go to WDW because of the overpricing, understaffing, and not magical attitude of the park CM's.
And she's right.

Rather than retype an entire post I've copied my post from another site.

I sent three e mails to three different addresses at WDW.
This morning I received an e mail from a CM stating that he tried to call me earlier but no one answered.
That had to be during my morning constitutional...............
The e mail has copies of all three of my letters.
Since I didn't leave a phone number on any of the mails I have to presume that WDW is cross referencing the complaining e mails with previously registered guests and people who use My Disney Experience.
They obviously want to confirm that the people complaining aren't just trolls.

This is an Interesting point. I sent an email Wednesday but have heard nothing back. However I sent it from a different email address than the one associated with my Disney account. It was just a matter of convenience at the time of writing the email. Maybe I have not gotten an answer because when they looked up my email I have no customer record. I'll try re -sending from my other email.

You won't have Disney luggage tags, etc. They won't allow you load your own luggage, and your luggage doesn't travel on the same bus with you.
Absolutely not true. Yes they do and yes it can. Anyone can pick up their own luggage and take it on DME with them. This happens for all international (out of North American) guests and I, constantly seeing US people who say they don’t use their tags for later flights and just pick up their luggage so it doesn’t arrive to them in the middle of the night.

Well we cancelled as I mentioned several pages back. We are going to the beach this year. This will be the first time not going in a long time. We will however go in 2019. We plan on alternating years instead of yearly trips. As I mentioned earlier we are not mad. We are and will always be Disney fans. We just want to branch out and see and do more that our great Nation offers. We have had a very expensive habit and time to scale back or at least spread out our hard earned dollars :-). Never know we may become addicted to something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter