Disney Sets Goal for Governance Reform

BRERALEX

That's a wrap.
Tue Aug 20, 8:13 PM ET
By Doug Young

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Entertainment giant Walt Disney Co. said on Tuesday its board has set a year-end target to implement several corporate governance initiatives outlined earlier this month including reducing its board size.

Disney's next board meeting is set for the last week of September, and it is likely the directors will begin taking up governance issues at that meeting, said sources who knew of the board's plans.

But specific details of the meeting's agenda and an exact date for the meeting were still unknown. A Disney spokesman said the company as a general rule did not disclose board meeting dates and agendas.

He did say the board's governance efforts have been ongoing since January of this year.

Disney has outlined broad goals that called for lowering the number of directors from 16 and reorganizing major committees to strengthen its own corporate governance.

The Burbank, Calif.-based media company, too, is looking at whether employing children of three board members -- Stanley Gold, Reveta Bowers and Raymond Watson -- complied with proposed New York Stock Exchange ( news - web sites) corporate governance rules defining an independent director, according to a recent filing by Disney with the Securities and Exchange Commission ( news - web sites).

"As we said, this is an ongoing process and the board is reviewing both the proposed NYSE rules and its existing guidelines as part of its ongoing governance process which will also include issues regarding the size and composition of the board and its committees," a Disney spokesman told Reuters.

The statement went on to say Disney hopes to complete its governance actions by the end of this year.

Disney's push for stronger governance comes amid a larger nationwide call for companies to make their boards more independent and ease investor concern stemming from recent accounting scandals at Enron Corp. , WorldCom Inc. , and Adelphia Communications Corp. .

The push also comes as Disney chief Michael Eisner found himself under increasing scrutiny by key board members who sources said were Roy Disney, a major stockholder and founder Walt Disney's nephew, and Gold, who manages Disney family investments through Los Angeles-based Shamrock Holdings.

Gold and Disney were integral in bringing Eisner to the company in 1984, but have reportedly become upset with Disney's recent stock slide to as low as $13.50 a share -- a price Disney investors haven't seen in nearly eight years.

Gold and Disney have not returned phone calls for comment.

Company shares, which sold for as much as $43 in May 2000, bottomed out last week, before rebounding along with the overall market. Shares lost 20 cents to close at $16.45 in Tuesday trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Disney shares are under pressure, chiefly, due to lackluster attendance at the company's theme parks and poor viewership at its ABC television network.

Analysts have said the theme parks like Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in southern California may take as much as a year or more to rebound.

Near-term hopes for improvement are focused on ABC with the upcoming fall TV season getting into full-swing the week of Sept. 23.

Many observers have said that Eisner's job might be in jeopardy if the company's performance didn't improve quickly. But knowledgeable sources said Eisner is well-entrenched.

Just last week, in a measure designed to boost confidence, Eisner disclosed that he purchased just over $10 million worth of Disney stock at an average price of $13.94 a share, boosting his stake to 13.99 million shares.

Roy Disney owns 17.5 million shares and along with the Texas-based investors, the Bass brothers, they are the company's three largest shareholders

just wanted to post this cause it was news and fresh and i felt special

Originally posted by BRERALEX

Roy Disney owns 17.5 million shares and along with the Texas-based investors, the Bass brothers, they are the company's three largest shareholders

I thought the Bass Brothers sold off their Disney Stock?

yeah your right i remember reading that here that they sold their stock?
see thats what i get for posting an article trying to be cool!!
an article with bad facts lololol
:p :p :p

I am not sure if the article is wrong or not, I have seen similar info in a couple of other articles. Maybe they retained a portion of their original holdings.

Does anyone know if they still hold Disney stock?

Neither of the Bass brothers hold any Disney stock. They (along with Warren Buffet) sold off their stock about 3 years ago - probably near the $42 high, now that I think about it....

Sarangel

Sara, so the report I read on the Reuters wire yesterday was incorrect? I knew they (the Bass's) sold off most of their holdings, but even at the time I thought they were retaining some...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Ok, here's my understanding...

The Bass Brothers sold a large portion of their stock to meet their margin calls. I think it was post 9/11 and they sold at a price of around $15 or $16 a share.

My guess is they retain a small portion of their Disney holdings, which still maybe enough to make them the 1st or 2nd largest Disney stockholder, since nobody else owns as much as even 1%.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm off base.

My understanding is similar to Raidermatt's. Sid Bass was forced to sell off $1.8 Billion in DIS shares to meet a margin call. Most of those Shares were bought back by Disney. They DID NOT sell off with Warren Buffet. I was a DIS news and rumors regular when Warren sold his stake and there was ZERO news from the Bass brothers.

Here's an article from September 2001

http://money.cnn.com/2001/09/21/companies/disney/

Bass sells Disney stake
September 21, 2001: 1:50 p.m. ET

Wealthy Texas family sells 135M shares at about $15 each.

NEW YORK (CNNfn) - The Bass family of Texas has sold a sizeable chunk, 135 million shares, of their stake in media conglomerate Walt Disney Co., a spokesman confirmed Friday.

The sale generated about $2 billion at about $15 a share, according to Bass family spokesman Clive Bode. Brothers Sid and Lee, along with their father Perry, sold the shares to meet liquidity issues, and Disney learned of the sale Wednesday, Bode said.

Sid and Lee Bass were estimated last year to be worth about $4 billion each. Two other brothers, Ed and Robert, were not involved in the share sale, which represents 6.4 percent of Disney, press reports said.

Disney shares closed at $16.98 Thursday, a 28 percent drop since the attack on New York's World Trade Center last week. However, shares staged a mild rebound Friday, gaining more than 2 percent.

The Basses retain a significant stake in Disney, Bode said, though he declined to disclose how much. The decision to sell had nothing to do with the future of Disney, he said.

"We have nothing but the highest regard for management of Disney, especially Michael Eisner," Bode said.

On Thursday, Burbank, Calif.-based Disney (DIS: up $0.55 to $17.53, Research, Estimates) disclosed that it had repurchased 50 million shares from certain significant stockholders. The purchase, made through Goldman Sachs & Co., was made at a discount of Disney's current market price.

Disney declined to comment on the sale.

They did not sell it all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter