Disney Skyliner (Gondola) Construction Updates

We used a gondola from Doppelmayr with a twinstroller in Switzerland and it was a hassle. It barely fit, the doors had to be pushed to open wider and one of the seats needed to be folded up and there was very little room for my husband and me.
The fast loading time was also a problem.
I would never attempt to do that again.
I would think they are too small for ecv’s and if not they will need to stop for them to load and unload.
I’m thinking that they will ask people with those to use other ways of transport.

We used a gondola from Doppelmayr with a twinstroller in Switzerland and it was a hassle. It barely fit, the doors had to be pushed to open wider and one of the seats needed to be folded up and there was very little room for my husband and me.
I would think they are too small for ecv’s and if not they will need to stop for them to load and unload.
I’m thinking that they will ask people with those to use other ways of transport.
Are you saying the gondola you used didn't even fit a double stroller and two adults? I've said since day 1 Disney is grossly overestimating how many people this thing will be moving per hour. Every group will want their own gondola and won't want to share with strangers.

It did but barely. This was a twin stroller though not a standard one

I think it is mentality thing. In Europe you can fit 10 easily and no one minds to ride with strangers bc there are so many people it would not work any other way.
I don’t get why people in the US don’t want to share with others. I mean people get on elevators with strangers without complaining? How about gondolas in skiing resorts?

It did but barely. This was a twin stroller though not a standard one

I think it is mentality thing. In Europe you can fit 10 easily and no one minds to ride with strangers bc there are so many people it would not work any other way.
I don’t get why people in the US don’t want to share with others. I mean people get on elevators with strangers without complaining? How about gondolas in skiing resorts?
I wouldn’t mind too much but I think the gondola ride may be longer than going in an elevator. I typically don’t really talk to other people in an elevator. I wouldn’t argue if a cm said to share but I would rather have my own gondola.

Disney is getting a top-of-the-line system which has only been available for a couple of years. The cabins are a few inches larger in all dimensions, including door opening, than the previous model. Doppelmayr says that even now, 40% of their sales are for the older system, so it's likely that the one you encountered was the older model with slightly smaller cabins. It will still be a tight fit for wheelchairs and double strollers, but a little bit better than you experienced. Ecv's are actually narrower than double strollers and standard wheelchairs.

The two stations on the DHS line have a unique double turnaround, with an inner and an outer loop in the stations. (They're the only stations that have the tracks installed so far.) No one knows for certain why this is, but speculation is that the outer loop will be for wheelchair and large stroller loading, allowing some cabins to be stopped for a longer loading time without stopping the cable.

Disney is getting a top-of-the-line system which has only been available for a couple of years. The cabins are a few inches larger in all dimensions, including door opening, than the previous model. Doppelmayr says that even now, 40% of their sales are for the older system, so it's likely that the one you encountered was the older model with slightly smaller cabins. It will still be a tight fit for wheelchairs and double strollers, but a little bit better than you experienced. Ecv's are actually narrower than double strollers and standard wheelchairs.

The two stations on the DHS line have a unique double turnaround, with an inner and an outer loop in the stations. (They're the only stations that have the tracks installed so far.) No one knows for certain why this is, but speculation is that the outer loop will be for wheelchair and large stroller loading, allowing some cabins to be stopped for a longer loading time without stopping the cable.
Do you think they will have a separate line for people with a stroller or wheelchair?

Do you think they will have a separate line for people with a stroller or wheelchair?
Just my opinion: they could, or they might have a single queue and split off people needing extra load time when they get near the front of the queue, similar to the bus queues at MK. I think it depends on how the special loading works: will every 5th cabin go to the special load area, or will they be able to pull off cabins as needed? Cabins going thru the special load area might continue on thru the main load area, and be loaded from the main queue when there's no one waiting in the special queue.

Last edited:
Just my opinion: they could, or they might have a single queue and split off people needing extra load time when they get near the front of the queue, similar to the bus queues at MK. I think it depends on how the special loading works: will every 5th cabin go to the special load area, or will they be able to pull off cabins as needed? Cabins going thru the special load area might continue on thru the main load area, and be loaded from the main queue when there's no one waiting in the special queue.
I guess it’s hard to tell this early huh? lol

My guess is that if a family has a stroller they will be riding on their own. There is discussion already as to whether families will be riding on their own or if smaller groups will be encouraged to ride together. I have no idea what way they'll go but I can't see them forcing groups together but that's just my thoughts, nothing official.

Doppelmayr says that the floor space between the benches is the "width of a shipping pallet", but they mean a Euro-pallet (30 inches); the door opening is a smidge over 32 inches. If a double stroller or wheelchair is parked, there won't be room for legs on both sides of it. The width of the bench will be about 104 inches, according to the product specs; the Swiss allow 20.8 inches per tush; Disney seems to be allowing 26"

I really don't think that they will be making much effort to "pack" the gondolas to full capacity, because that would slow down the load. The cars won't stop, so you need people to just flow onboard with no hesitation, which they will not do if they are boarding with strangers. (I don't think they would outright balk, but hesitation will mean that there won't be time to get everyone on board.)

I think that at the very busiest times they may slow down the cable a tad so that there is more time to try to get every seat filled, but I can't see it going much beyond that. The transport rate that is being cited is a maximum with 8 riders per cabin, but I think that a lot of the time the cabins will be rolling out half-full. (Some people have guessed that they might use a box-painted-on-the-floor system to get riders grouped ready to load, but I have trouble seeing that working well, since CM's would need a way to tell people when to leave the box, as the cabins would not stop in front of them to be loaded.)

On other threads on other boards, some people are saying that the lack of A/C would mean numerous medical emergencies, but I don't think that would be all that common unless the cable stopped. What I do think it would mean would be people riding it once in summertime and swearing never again due to the heat. Americans tend to have a very low tolerance for discomfort on public transit.

Disney policy is all strollers need to be folded on busses and monorails so I'm sure it will carry over to the gondolas.
I haven't seen a stroller folded up on a monorail in recent memory....that goes back years and years, with about four trips a year!!!!!

I'm amazed that people think they should get their own gondola vs sharing with others. This isn't an attraction, it's transportation. Perhaps Disney will have a single rider line to make sure all gondolas are full. I can't imagine that they want the cars going off half empty because some family requested their own car!!! If you don't want to ride with 'strangers' then I suggest driving your own car. You have to get on a bus, boat and monorail with 'strangers'...why is this any different?
And yep, I can see the rates at these resorts going up!!! I think Pop is already on it's way to becoming a different class of value resort based on the room renovations. Add the gondolas to the mix? Higher room rates.

Strollers do not need to folded on the monorails. Have not for at least 9 years since I’ve been a parent.

I think the thoughts about how many families will share a monorail may have to do more about personal space and safety. The majority of the time I would be comfortable sharing yet at the same time, as a single lady with a daughter, I have been on a couple of buses leaving Epcot after food and wine where people who have had more alcohol than I’m personally comfortable with have been in the bus with us. I am okay with being in a bus where there is safety in numbers but, suspended in the sky by ourselves with a person who is intoxicated is another thing.

Some will say ‘Disney will handle this sutuation’ But I’m not positive they will. For us we’ll choose buses during certain times if I find Disney is choosing to fill the gondolas to capacity.

Again, this is only what I will choose to do for us, not saying anyone else is right or wrong in their decisions for their families.

Strollers do not need to folded on the monorails. Have not for at least 9 years since I’ve been a parent.

I think the thoughts about how many families will share a monorail may have to do more about personal space and safety. The majority of the time I would be comfortable sharing yet at the same time, as a single lady with a daughter, I have been on a couple of buses leaving Epcot after food and wine where people who have had more alcohol than I’m personally comfortable with have been in the bus with us. I am okay with being in a bus where there is safety in numbers but, suspended in the sky by ourselves with a person who is intoxicated is another thing.

Some will say ‘Disney will handle this sutuation’ But I’m not positive they will. For us we’ll choose buses during certain times if I find Disney is choosing to fill the gondolas to capacity.

Again, this is only what I will choose to do for us, not saying anyone else is right or wrong in their decisions for their families.

But there won't be buses running to and from the gondola resorts and Epcot/DHS once the Skyliner is up and running. So your option will be to take a bus to AK, MK, or DS and transfer there to the park you want to go to. Or take a cab, Uber, Lyft, Minnie Van, etc. It has been stated by reliable sources/insiders on other boards that bus service to these 2 parks from Pop, AoA, & CBR will stop once the Skyliner is finished (similar to how the monorail resorts don't offer bus service to MK & EP).

You have to get on a bus, boat and monorail with 'strangers'...why is this any different?
I expect it's it's more an emotional response to getting sealed into a small space with strangers. Buses, boats and Monorails all have larger numbers of people per compartment so heard mentality takes over and it feels safe.

But there won't be buses running to and from the gondola resorts and Epcot/DHS once the Skyliner is up and running. So your option will be to take a bus to AK, MK, or DS and transfer there to the park you want to go to. Or take a cab, Uber, Lyft, Minnie Van, etc. It has been stated by reliable sources/insiders on other boards that bus service to these 2 parks from Pop, AoA, & CBR will stop once the Skyliner is finished (similar to how the monorail resorts don't offer bus service to MK & EP).
I cannot believe that buses will no longer service These resorts to Epcot and DHS once the gondolas are open. I believe they will be in addition.

A monorail is much bigger than a gondola. There are many people who will not feel comfortable riding a gondola so I cannot believe all direct bus options will be stopped. Pop Century and AoA have almost 5000 rooms combined. There is no way they will be able to handle the capacity for all guests from Pop and AoA going to those 2 parks in these small gondolas. The monorail resorts also offer boat or walking options to MK.

Doppelmayr says that the floor space between the benches is the "width of a shipping pallet", but they mean a Euro-pallet (30 inches); the door opening is a smidge over 32 inches. If a double stroller or wheelchair is parked, there won't be room for legs on both sides of it. The width of the bench will be about 104 inches, according to the product specs; the Swiss allow 20.8 inches per tush; Disney seems to be allowing 26"
The benches will probably be foldable, which will allow 4 or 5 Guests to accompany a wheelchair or double stroller.

Based on the unique track layout in the terminal stations, there is speculation that a provision is being made to stop selected cabins for extended loading time. (Riviera is a mystery, still being in the early stages of construction.) But even at normal loading speed, a trained cm should be able to fold up a bench in a couple of seconds.

The benches will probably be foldable, which will allow 4 or 5 Guests to accompany a wheelchair or double stroller.

Based on the unique track layout in the terminal stations, there is speculation that a provision is being made to stop selected cabins for extended loading time. (Riviera is a mystery, still being in the early stages of construction.) But even at normal loading speed, a trained cm should be able to fold up a bench in a couple of seconds.

Oh, I agree, but remember that if you are folding one bench and loading the other for a wheelchair, ECV, etc., then that wheeled gadget is going to have to load off-center. Not a big deal with a stroller or a compact wheelchair, but a difficult maneuver in a conventional wheelchair or ECV, especially if it's a rental. Unlike on the monorail, the gondola cabins don't have doors on both sides, so they will have to back out. The special track layout almost certainly is meant to deal with that issue, because if you've ever seen a first-time rental ECV user try to back out of a tight space, it generally isn't a quick process. The average ECV is about 28" wide at the base, which leaves only 4 inches of maneuvering room between the doors.

I think that once the system goes into testing, we'll be seeing lots of tweaks, because WDW is very different from the usual installation of systems like these. It's largely uncharted territory, and they will have to play it by ear if they want it to be a success. (If guests decide that they hate it and won't ride, even seasonally, then Disney will have no choice but to accommodate guest preference, because it's a huge investment, and they can't afford to have that many guests refusing to use it. I also predict that rental car use will rise a bit again, because those people who won't ride the Skyliner will probably rent cars if the buses are no longer an option.)

I cannot believe that buses will no longer service These resorts to Epcot and DHS once the gondolas are open. I believe they will be in addition.

A monorail is much bigger than a gondola. There are many people who will not feel comfortable riding a gondola so I cannot believe all direct bus options will be stopped. Pop Century and AoA have almost 5000 rooms combined. There is no way they will be able to handle the capacity for all guests from Pop and AoA going to those 2 parks in these small gondolas. The monorail resorts also offer boat or walking options to MK.

The insiders who are reporting this are very reliable and are very adamant that there will not be bus service except in the event of weather related stoppages or maintenance. Dozens of people have argued that they don't believe this will be the only form of transportation and the insiders (who have been right about many other details of this system) have continued to insisted that it will. The gondolas will move far more people per hour than the buses -- in the area of 5,000 people per hour so it should have no trouble moving people from the 4 resorts (I believe it's almost double the hourly capacity of buses). I'm one of those people who is not looking forward to the Skyliner due to my fear of heights (though the towers I saw were not as high as I was expecting them to be) as well as my claustrophobia. Riding the Skyliner is going to be a challenge for me so I would love for there to still be buses, but I'm 99.9% sure there will not be buses running to those to parks from those 3 resorts so I will just deal with it. One insider said that there is a very, very remote possibility that there will still be some bus service available but it will be more like once every 60-90 minutes and possibly even less frequently than that, but s/he is far more confident that there will be none.

I can give you the link to the thread on another board with the most information. I've followed it from day 1 and there are over 10,000 posts on it and I can tell you that this issues of "they can't eliminate the buses -- what about the people who are afraid of heights?" and "there *has* to be air conditioning in the cars -- people will die of heat exhaustion if there isn't" (there won't be a/c) come up every week or two so they've been beat to death dozens of times in those 10,000 posts and the stance from the insiders never changes.

I would be very happy if this information turns out to be wrong, but the insiders reporting this have been right about soooooo many things that just didn't seem possible over the years, that I have no reason to believe they are wrong about this.

I haven't seen a stroller folded up on a monorail in recent memory....that goes back years and years, with about four trips a year!!!!!

I'm amazed that people think they should get their own gondola vs sharing with others. This isn't an attraction, it's transportation. Perhaps Disney will have a single rider line to make sure all gondolas are full. I can't imagine that they want the cars going off half empty because some family requested their own car!!! If you don't want to ride with 'strangers' then I suggest driving your own car. You have to get on a bus, boat and monorail with 'strangers'...why is this any different?
And yep, I can see the rates at these resorts going up!!! I think Pop is already on it's way to becoming a different class of value resort based on the room renovations. Add the gondolas to the mix? Higher room rates.

It's kind of humorous to me that anyone would equate a mode of transportation with dozens of people to being stranded in the air, above sightline, with a couple of random people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter