Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

It's interesting to think about hot air feeling cooler because of motion. I know that in North Texas it can become super windy and on hot days it often feels like a heater is blasting you. It must be the shade that makes the difference?

It's interesting to think about hot air feeling cooler because of motion. I know that in North Texas it can become super windy and on hot days it often feels like a heater is blasting you. It must be the shade that makes the difference?

Shade lowering temps helps too but the main effect is evaporative cooling (it cools the skin when the forced air evaporates sweat off of you). It’s the same physics as running a big fan in one of those stuffy lines, but even more airflow and cooler air because you’re ~30 feet up and moving at 10+mph.

Can we PLEASE move of from the no AC chatter? So much time is being wasted here with the same discussion over and over when many come here to find true updates about the status of the Skyliner.

I know it’s been debated to death, but for some people, that is what weighs heavily in their minds and they still want/need to ask questions about it to understand it. I don’t see what the big deal is. Just scroll through if you’re not interested.

When the Skyliner is finally up and running for guests, it will be newsworthy and we’ll all hear about it pretty quickly. And what do you think the first questions will be about......the lack of AC and how hot does it really feel. :rotfl:

If you are sweating, wind can cool you to a little above the wet bulb temperature of the air. The blast furnace feeling you get in hot climates is usually when you are walking across a parking lot, not really sweating so you are feeling the dry bulb temperature (reported Temperature). The wind also heats up as it blows across the parking lot pavement.

If you feel chilled by a hot wind it's because you have moisture on you.

Just for everyone's FYI official temperatures are always measured in the shade. Solar radiation can increase the feels like temperature dramatically but that is not ever reported.

Evaporative cooling is why moisture wicking clothes are important to staying cool. Solar radiation is why light colors are important.

The true measure of human comfort is the wet bulb globe temperature, which unless you measure yourself you aren't ever going to find listed as it highly dependant on the local environment.

I was curious about how it worked. I did not intend to offend anyone.
Asking questions and sharing information-pretty sure that's what these boards were created for. I used to tell my students don't be afraid to ask questions if you are really interested in something. These boards are meant to be helpful-it offends me when posters complain about things being asked before or tired of comments that have been made before-not everyone reads every single thread of all these boards no matter how much we love Disney-

This is so awesome!!! I think those "buildings" look like they can just be picked up (like on some sort of massive forklift) and pulled straight out. I hope they don't stay there, as that would be a bit of an eye-sore on a really fantastic looking space.

Let's see...
It's been hot (check)
The gondolas have been running (check)

Do you really think that, in all this time they have been testing the system, someone has NOT ridden in the gondolas in the heat of the day to see just how hot they will be? That in mind, do you really think Disney would just let that slide if there really was a problem?

Let's see...
It's been hot (check)
The gondolas have been running (check)

Do you really think that, in all this time they have been testing the system, someone has NOT ridden in the gondolas in the heat of the day to see just how hot they will be? That in mind, do you really think Disney would just let that slide if there really was a problem?

I’m sure they will be tested for temperature if they haven’t been tested already.

I’m just interested in hearing first hand reports from people who have ridden them, especially in this heat.

This is so awesome!!! I think those "buildings" look like they can just be picked up (like on some sort of massive forklift) and pulled straight out. I hope they don't stay there, as that would be a bit of an eye-sore on a really fantastic looking space.

They may look like that, but they aren't. They were built in place and probably house the control room (one has a window that faces the line) and other control equipment for the station. Even the Boardwalk turn station has a small equipment room. There is no reason to think they will be removed.

I know it’s been debated to death, but for some people, that is what weighs heavily in their minds and they still want/need to ask questions about it to understand it.
I agree that people can just scroll through the comments that they aren't interested in but it is also worth people understanding that if they feel that the answers already provided are insufficient then there are no answers that can be provided to them at this point that they would find satisfactory. The next step for them is to wait for reports from real people coming off the gondolas on a hot day, or for the most cynical of them, feeling how it is for themselves.

Do you really think that, in all this time they have been testing the system, someone has NOT ridden in the gondolas in the heat of the day to see just how hot they will be?
I think we can be sure that the first time a person rides in one of the gondolas, there will be many threads about it, and live streams and a lot of other news reports about it.

Some people are now emotionally invested in the idea the cabins will be intolerable so of course for them they will be.
Personally I'm emotionally invested in having more efficient transportation to/from the parks so I'm sure I'll find the cabins to be quite comfortable and with a good view.

You can bet some blogger/vlogger will post a video that says something like "these things are HOT!" which will probably be click bait to get views. The temperature will vary every day depending on time and month but that won't stop that kind of video from showing up and leading to disinformation.
I think WDW would be wise to get in front of this and release a video like they did for the CBR station that will explain how these will handle the heat , otherwise they are the mercy of the interweb ....

I think the bigger issue will be the work-around when they are shut down due to thunderstorms - and they will be. It's almost a lock there will be a thunderstorm every afternoon during the summer. Again, Disney has probably thought about it and has a plan in place. Have a little faith.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter