Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I’m sure it’s been asked but I can’t read 432 pages to find the answer and search didn’t help.

Are the gondolas halted during lightening/thunder storms? Because that’s a thing. Lol.

I’m sure it’s been asked but I can’t read 432 pages to find the answer and search didn’t help.

Are the gondolas halted during lightening/thunder storms? Because that’s a thing. Lol.

I believe the prevailing wisdom is that yes, service is discontinued. We just don't know what the contingency plan is...like if you were on your way back to AoA/POP but had to disembark at CBR.

The Epcot line is running right now, with a 9.8 second spacing, giving a capacity of 3670 people per hour each direction.
This would be the equivalent of nearly a bus a minute in each direction. Servicing 4 resorts this would be a bus every 5 minutes from each resort or 12 buses an hour.

Even if you assume that they dont fill the gondolas that is staggering. It takes longer than that to load and unload a bus, especially if the bus has to kneel to load/unload wheel chairs or ECV. This is basically like saying that there would always be a bus waiting when the prior one pulled away. Can you imagine that at park closing. No waiting 15 minutes for the next bus, no wondering if you just missed it or if all these people will fit.

This will be a game changer.

This would be the equivalent of nearly a bus a minute in each direction. Servicing 4 resorts this would be a bus every 5 minutes from each resort or 12 buses an hour.

Even if you assume that they dont fill the gondolas that is staggering. It takes longer than that to load and unload a bus, especially if the bus has to kneel to load/unload wheel chairs or ECV. This is basically like saying that there would always be a bus waiting when the prior one pulled away. Can you imagine that at park closing. No waiting 15 minutes for the next bus, no wondering if you just missed it or if all these people will fit.

This will be a game changer.
And I wouldn't be surprised if they crank up the speed once they have some operational experience. If you look at it like a moving assembly line that is very typical. I could see them getting to the 4500 pph the rumors originally said

Not sure when it started but the gondolas stopped, he sent me a video it's bad with the wind you can barely see.
Not sure how close to there but there is definitely lightening in the general area
Not sure when/if they stopped running, but when the storm looked like that, there was a lot of lightning tonight.

Thanks all. I wonder whether the gondolas would have stopped (& unloaded) sooner if they had been carrying guests.

Might have missed this info on this thread...does everyone disembark at CBR, no matter where you’re headed to/from? What about Riviera? And would they let people ride through if they didn’t want to get off at the end of the line? I’m assuming that one is a no (get off and get in line to reboard?). We’re staying at Pop, but since our trip is getting close...now I want details! I did see the video that shows how they reload the secondary loop car - that it re-enters the main line as another car exits main line onto secondary loop, thereby making space. Seems so simple, but I hadn’t worked that out. Probably explains why I’m not an engineer. 😂

Might have missed this info on this thread...does everyone disembark at CBR, no matter where you’re headed to/from?
Yes.
What about Riviera?
Everyone stays on, unless they're getting off.
And would they let people ride through if they didn’t want to get off at the end of the line?
Probably not, as the doors remain open while the cabin swings thru an area where it would be unsafe to deboard.

Thanks all. I wonder whether the gondolas would have stopped (& unloaded) sooner if they had been carrying guests.
I would hope so because the video I saw the ones mid air over DHS were just stuck sitting there swaying in high winds, not even sure why they didn't recall the empty ones during that horrific weather.

Why would they if they don't need to? The rain will not hurt them, nor will the wind unless it's strong enough to derail the cable or drive a cabin into a tower.
I more meant when they are in full use during lightening they have to, would have been a good practice of timing to get them back to stations. I would hope even in the intense winds they had last night nothing would damage them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter