• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Solves a Huge Disney World Problem

Kennywood

Kennywood
The company (with a little help) has literally done something that should improve most Disney World trips.
RONIKA BONDARENKOMAR 2, 2022 6:32 PM EST

Anyone from Central Florida (or who has ever tried getting into Disney World by car) knows that driving down the I-4 is no easy feat: the interstate highway is long, prone to bottlenecks, and full of tourists and snowbirds unfamiliar with its twists and exits. A nightmare, in other words, for anyone rushing to get the fun started.

That impacts tourists too because you have to take the I-4 when you come in from the Orlando airport. You can also fall victim to the famously busy road if you're staying outside of the so-called "Disney Bubble" that's right near the company's four theme parks.

Now, Disney has something new that just might make those driving trips easier.

Express Lane To Disney World? Sign Me Up

To take some driving stress off visitors, the Florida Department of Transportation has finally opened I-4 Express Lanes heading westbound or eastbound in Mickey's direction. In construction for the 21-mile stretch of highway to Disney World for years, the lanes finally opened to visitors last Saturday.

Free for the first five days, the lanes will soon cost 50 cents for each segment for a toll total of $3.50 during what the Orlando Sentinel reports is an "introductory period." After that, toll prices will be "adjusted based on traffic volumes in I-4 Express to manage congestion."

"The Florida Department of Transportation is providing motorists choices with managed lane options on some of its most heavily traveled highways," Florida's Department of Transportation Motorists have the option to enter the lanes, two in each direction, via limited access points to more reliably get where they need to gon told the newspaper in a statement. "Managed lanes are highway lanes designed to address congestion and have been successfully implemented in other areas around Florida, throughout the United States, and around the world."

What Will This Do To Disney Traffic?

While obviously an enormous boost for Disney visitors, the highway project is unconnected to the Walt Disney Company (DIS) - Get Walt Disney Company Report — the $2.3 billion state effort to rework and widen the 21 miles of I-4 first began seven years ago and has faced many setbacks, financial problems, and delays.

As Disney World is the busiest amusement in the world, traffic around it is understandably substantial. That changed somewhat during the pandemic as the amusement park industry took a massive hit.

Between 2019 and 2020, visits to the country's 25 biggest parks (Disneyland, Disney World, and Universal Studios are all on this list) fell by 67%, according to a report by the Themed Entertainment Association and AECOM. While our exit from the pandemic has been haphazard at best, theme park attendance is rising steadily in 2021 and 2022 — the lanes, then, can be a major boost for Disney as well as a perk for drivers who don't want to get frustrated by traffic before even getting on their first ride.

Source: The Street

Didn't Disney actually create a bigger problem by getting rid of Magical Express? We will be going from being with a bus load of people in one vehicle- to finding our own way from the airport with Uber, Lyft, or a Taxi now. I would think that would create more traffic. Zero way we would ever take the Brightline Flyer from the airport to WDW if it stops near Downtown Disney and involves having to take a bus from there to the resort.

Disney has NOTHING To do with the express/ ultimate 4 project.
The express lanes end at Universal. About 15 miles from Disney.

Thanks. I thought the OPs geography was wrong.
Edited to add I think it goes 1 exit past Universal

Didn't Disney actually create a bigger problem by getting rid of Magical Express? We will be going from being with a bus load of people in one vehicle- to finding our own way from the airport with Uber, Lyft, or a Taxi now. I would think that would create more traffic. Zero way we would ever take the Brightline Flyer from the airport to WDW if it stops near Downtown Disney and involves having to take a bus from there to the resort.
Great point. No DME means more traffic. No DME luggage handling means issues at MCO, which was struggling with capacity issues

Last edited:

Disney solved nothing in regards to the I-4 Express Lane.
Disney had nothing to do with the I-4 Express Lanes.
Disney doesn't even have I-4 Express Lanes by it.
Nothing has changed in the WDW vicinity.
A new interchange in on the horizon off 535,
but again not built by Disney.
The title of the article is false.

Last edited:
Even before that, many central Florida travelers could take Florida's Turnpike to 429 Western Beltway. Go south on 429, get off at Hartzog Rd. and Western Way, the latter takes you east to Disney ending up on Buena Vista Drive near Blizzard Beach. No I-4.

Disney solved nothing in regards to the I-4 Express Lane.
Disney had nothing to do with theI-4 Express Lanes.
Disney doesn't even have I-4 Express Lanes by it.
Nothing has changed in the WDW vicinity.
A new interchange in on the horizon off 535,
but again not built by Disney.
The title of the article is false.
The TITLE of the article just says that Disney solved a huge Disney World problem. The title doesn’t even suggest in the slightest that the I-4 is something Disney solved.

The ARTICLE itself lies, but not the TITLE.

The TITLE of the article just says that Disney solved a huge Disney World problem. The title doesn’t even suggest in the slightest that the I-4 is something Disney solved.

The ARTICLE itself lies, but not the TITLE.

Okay, the title and the article are both lies. The title goes with the article, the article is about I-4 Express lanes, the title is click bait to imply that Disney built I-4. Clearly a website that is neither news or credible, and a writer without an editor. On all counts no reason to even post this under Disney Rumors and News, maybe the Transportation Board with the title of the thread being I-4 Express Lanes open.

No, Disney didn't solve any I-4 problem. The I-4 express lanes were may years in the making by Florida's DOT and they don't even get within 10 miles of Disney.

Last edited:
WDW's patron "dis-appreciation," with their incomprehensible pricing and annual passes in a death kneel position, will be the solution to the traffic issues within a 100 mile radius of WDW. Like everything else, bullies eventually get their due, even economic ones...

I think so. There will be a super fast train from airport to WDW at some point, but the next few years traffic is going to get NUTS during higher seasons. YUCK.

WDW's patron "dis-appreciation," with their incomprehensible pricing and annual passes in a death kneel position, will be the solution to the traffic issues within a 100 mile radius of WDW. Like everything else, bullies eventually get their due, even economic ones...
I'd love to agree, but everyone is switching to universal and that could make things even worse.

I think so. There will be a super fast train from airport to WDW at some point, but the next few years traffic is going to get NUTS during higher seasons. YUCK.
The high speed train isn't going to change anything. It's not meant for taking people from the Airport to Disney. It's a commuter service between Tampa and Orlando. The stop at Disney is off site so it's not going to be convient for Disney guests

The ME busses didn't use I-4. They used 417, which is currently being expanded from 2 lanes to 3 lanes in each direction, from I-drive to SR528. It's a construction mess right now and probably for the next year and a half.

Yes, the current expansion of I-4 (which includes toll lanes) is done. Get ready for part 2. Its called I-4 Beyond the Ultimate. I starts where part 1 ended. It rebuilds I-4 from Universal past Disney. They haven't even started it yet. Dont know the completion data but local news station 13 states the following:

"Right now, FDOT said only two of the five Beyond the Ultimate segments are tentatively funded, and that money wouldn't come for another 10 years."

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter