Disney Wish - First reviews from the media cruise - biased?

I have a number of criticism of the ship but i think the ship is getting a bit of an unfair wrap. There are some major improvements here as well as some downsides and no one is focusing on the upsides.

the food looks to be a big step up.

the kids club look incredible. You might not have kids but for families that do this is huge.

the restaurants are well themed and not in a cheap way either. Arrendale, marvel world and 1923 all look very immersive but not in a cheap disneyworld theme park way. The dinner shows and videos also look better then what you get at the themeparks (although ive only skipped through them to not spoil too much).

some of the criticisms are a bit unfair too:

disney have played it to safe and played to the same audience: well if they made another dream or fantasy it would be too safe. They have taken it a very different direction so i dont think it could be called safe. They are giving us more options. This can only be good.

its too disney themed: one of criticisms that often comes up from first time (and one time) disney cruisers is that there is not enough disney elements to justify the higher price tag. This ship seems to fix that complaint.

its not immersive enough: i disagree strongly here on the rotational restaurants and kids clubs. The atrium is also growing on me despite some corners being cut and it definately does not look like a typical hotel lobby. Im a bit disapointed in the star wars lounge with its white plain walls, but the lighting, screen and interesting cocktsils all look pretty cool. and the later is what is ultimately the most important.

it looks cheap: now while some corners may of been cut on the aqua mouse, atrium and star wars lounge after seeing the long walk through videos the last thing i can say is this looks cheap. The hallways, carpets, restaurants, lounges, theatres all look incredible. A step up in elegance in fact even if you dont like the theme. This does not look cheap.

i think some are focusing on what is worse compared to the other ships and not what is better to balance it out. The shoddy marketing that oversold (almost fraudulently oversold) concepts of the new ship is also not helping with our views of the ship. Likewise the ridiculous marketing of a 5000 dollar drink and multi story tower suite. Frankly their cheaper drinks look way cooler then the 5000 dollar one but they arent really being discussed in any of the media releases.
Yup, half the complaints here are "this ship isn't innovative or doesn't add anything new" and the other half "the ship is doing too much". This soap opera takes place every time any cruise line launches a new ship.

To us, this ship adds a great new option. The first four are all very much alike, and we don't even sometimes care which one we sail as long as the dates, itinerary, and prices look good. This ship - though - is different. In a good way for some, and in a bad way for the others.

Our issue with sailing the Wish right now is its 3- and 4-night itineraries. Way too short. Maybe we will combine it with a 7-nigher Fantasy in a B2B. And give Triton II a closer look. But, all in all, kudos to Disney for launching it despite all we have gone through in the last two years.

Yup, half the complaints here are "this ship isn't innovative or doesn't add anything new" and the other half "the ship is doing too much". This soap opera takes place every time any cruise line launches a new ship.

To us, this ship adds a great new option. The first four are all very much alike, and we don't even sometimes care which one we sail as long as the dates, itinerary, and prices look good. This ship - though - is different. In a good way for some, and in a bad way for the others.

Our issue with sailing the Wish right now is its 3- and 4-night itineraries. Way too short. Maybe we will combine it with a 7-nigher Fantasy in a B2B. And give Triton II a closer look. But, all in all, kudos to Disney for launching it despite all we have gone through in the last two years.
I think it also has to do with how Disney does their PR. I think they have hyped it up too much in the media. It feels like Disney described it as a Ferrari and it is a Hyundai. If you expect a fancy sportscar and you get a reliable family car, you can be disappointed and think 'this is it?'
That doesn't make the Hyundai a bad car, it is just not what people were expecting.

It is a complicated balance, on one hand you want to develop a product that appeals to your existing customers with things they know and love. On the other hand, it has to be new and exciting to make them come back.
I think for most here the balance is off, too much of the first and not enough of the second.

To add more complication, with a cruise ship it will take time before people here have sailed it and get a chance to experience it. We have to wait some more before the first real experiences will come in from regular paying customers. Until then, all we can do is speculate.

This thread has piqued my curiosity, so I watched two YT Wish videos. One was a deck-by-deck walkthrough - the videographer was never seen, The other was a deluxe family balcony cabin. I had the sound off for both.

My first reaction was I really like the white atrium - and the flooring, both carpet and hard surface. I love the atria on Disney ships vs the indoor mall look of Royal C. I had just looked at a video of a newer Holland America ship and was thinking of how I don’t like all the mirrors and materials that remind me of 1980s Vegas. Click on Disney Wish video and get that clean look. Sure, in some ways sterile - and hallways seem a bit snug, but I’m liking it.

Now, not it’s the greatest or spectacularly new. At this point, going on a Disney cruise is like returning to the same summer camp. Safe, relaxing. If you want go karts and surfing, there’s NCL, MSC, and Royal. I did not utilize any of those activities on those ships.

As far as advertising, sure, probably are hyping it for things that aren’t that impressive. It is yet another DCL ship with different theming in decor. Tweaks here and there. For their loyal cruisers, they could have just said we have an additional ship for you. We can take more people out to see at the same time. Welcome home.

I love the multitude of pools. Especially because they have steps - not just a ladder, which made using a pool impossible for me. And by not being in an adult area - where the smoking section is within smelling range, it might mean a more pleasant pool experience.

Room - it looks like the TV at the foot of the bed is flat mounted, making it difficult to sit on the couch while enjoying room service or snacks and be entertained. I can imagine families with children in that situation. Who designs the room layout?

Glad to see shower sliding door replaced the shower curtain. The towel hooks in the toilet side bathroom look precariously placed for knocking your head.

Above poster @Karin1984 has the right idea of overselling. But it looks more like a quality Honda (or Acura) than it does a Hyundai. 😂

I still haven’t watched a vlogger’s video - I’m afraid of all the excitement over the little things - the hyperbole, as described by @Intr3pid

I think it also has to do with how Disney does their PR. I think they have hyped it up too much in the media. It feels like Disney described it as a Ferrari and it is a Hyundai. If you expect a fancy sportscar and you get a reliable family car, you can be disappointed and think 'this is it?'
That doesn't make the Hyundai a bad car, it is just not what people were expecting.

It is a complicated balance, on one hand you want to develop a product that appeals to your existing customers with things they know and love. On the other hand, it has to be new and exciting to make them come back.
I think for most here the balance is off, too much of the first and not enough of the second.

To add more complication, with a cruise ship it will take time before people here have sailed it and get a chance to experience it. We have to wait some more before the first real experiences will come in from regular paying customers. Until then, all we can do is speculate.
I agree on the PR. It has been terribly misleading. Its also putting people off by celebrating the wrong things (no one cares about the 5000 dollar drink of tower suites).

I agree on the PR. It has been terribly misleading. Its also putting people off by celebrating the wrong things (no one cares about the 5000 dollar drink of tower suites).
I don't think that DCL was hyping the 5 000 $ drink at all. In fact, it was not announced before the first media outlets got on the ship. There was one video of a cast member showcasing it, that was repurposed on multiple sites, and it took three days after the first articles to know what was in the drinks and to understand it included multiple things, including the visit to Skywalker ranch. It just made for clickable content for influencers and news outlets, so they went with that.

DCL did promote the tower suite by hosting a visit during the media cruise and showcasing it on Good Morning America, but all cruise lines do the same with their over-the-top suites. If not, I would not know that RCCL has a two-story family suite with a slide, a hammock and an Lego wall. The tower suite is, after all, a first-in-the-industry room (a suite in a funnel). They also hosted a visit of the other suites, but that was not really pushed by DCL. I guess they assume that the media outlets would do the room tours of regular rooms themselves. After all, that's the reason why they invite social media onboard : so they can create content without DCL pointing them what to film or talk about. Most content I've watched and was offered on YT was of public spaces, lounges and restaurants.

I agree with this. It is the same thing with anything new a lot of places. I agree about 3-4 night part, we are booked for a 3 night in May simply to try it out and its right now the only option that works, would prefer the 4 night but they take 5 full vacation days which we don't like either.

it looks like the TV at the foot of the bed is flat mounted, making it difficult to sit on the couch while enjoying room service or snacks and be entertained.
I guess I assumed it was on a mount that can be pulled out and angled if you want to watch from the couch.

the food looks to be a big step up.
The pool deck food is definitely a big step up. The main dining restaurants are mostly repeat/small modifications of items already available on other menus across the fleet. Definitely give compliments about the pool deck, but if we’re talking about managing expectations, I cannot say that the menus lead me to think there’s going to be a big step up in the MDR.
its too disney themed: one of criticisms that often comes up from first time (and one time) disney cruisers is that there is not enough disney elements to justify the higher price tag. This ship seems to fix that complaint.
My issue is that there’s no consistency. There’s plenty of Disney, but it’s a mishmash if so many IPs! I mean, a star wars lounge in the middle of the fancy grand hall? Weird.

Interesting many articles popping up with the lead "5000 drink on Disney Wish". I doubt
very much they wanted that lead in but it is catchy and that is what people click on.

We aren't going until Holiday season and i already got a few texts from friends/relatives asking
if we are trying that "expensive drink". These are people who don't even follow cruising let alone
Disney but they read about it somewhere. Heck no we aren't trying that drink and wish they didn't
even offer it.

I doubt they sold a Ferrari, nor will it turn out to be a Hyundai. It's more like a hybrid BMW whose unconventional instrument panel is polarizing.

I called DCL and 4 days later when they picked up :) I put in the request for 1923 on the first night. I routinely do this for AP on our Palo night. My wife is scarred from the Crush experience where she was called out once.
So… what rotation should this give you? 1923 twice? Just wondering.
If we keep our Disney wish sailing would rather not go to a dinner and show more than twice…

Can anyone recommend some non-annoying YT accounts to follow that have reviewed the Wish media cruise? I saw that This is How We Bingham family on there but I couldn't even finish their Galactic Starcruiser one because they're too in love with unnecessary jump cuts.
Haha! Same! Could not finish watching them either. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter