• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney with a 5 month old

rob191186

Earning My Ears
Yes I’m crazy I know :P

We have Disney booked next year (Feb) and our Son will be turning 5 months old. This was a previously cancelled 2020 trip that was moved.

I would be most appreciative if anybody out there who has travelled with a baby before could provide some tips.

Our little one is formula fed so curious to see how people made up bottles in the parks/hotel room? Do You need to buy water as US tap water isn’t safe for babies milk? Any tips for the flights? Did you take formula with you or buy it out there?

thanks!

You can order distilled water if you want. They sell it pretty much in every store. As for the formula, I would compare prices at home and here. I am thinking it is probably more expensive here.

As for the formula, I would compare prices at home and here. I am thinking it is probably more expensive here.
Is there any chance of the baby 'not liking' foreign formula? Most foods are a little different abroad, even if the name is the same, so that may apply to formula as well. If the baby is fussy ... :sad:
Probably not an issue but I'd do a quick Google to check.

Is there any chance of the baby 'not liking' foreign formula? Most foods are a little different abroad, even if the name is the same, so that may apply to formula as well. If the baby is fussy ... :sad:
Probably not an issue but I'd do a quick Google to check.

I really couldn't say. I imagine that most formula is the same, especially if you don't need a specialty one. If it were me, I would probably just bring what they are familiar with just in case another formula would not agree with him. Order diapers to be brought to the resort, that should save a bunch of space in the luggage.

Can't help with the formula stuff but happy to give other tips about traveling with a 5 month old. It's a good age as they're not too mobile, still on the milk but old enough to enjoy looking around.

Feed on take off on the plane to help babies ears. It will be hot so keep baby out of the sun and watch out for the old hanging a muslin for shade but actually accidentally ending up heating up the pram trick. I would take a lightweight baby carrier like a boba air for times when a pushchair won't work or in queues, or when baby just won't stop whingeing unless s/he is up and looking around right next to you. Always have a blanket rolled in the changing bag - for quickly wrapping when you go into ac or for laying baby flat on the grass under a tree for a bit. Don't overdress your baby -it will be hard coming from winter but as few clothes as possible. Do use a sunhat though.

Sleep may be broken. Even if baby has started sleeping through now, chances are they will regress just before you go so don't put pressure on yourselves to do too much. Rest and recharge.

Apologies for just stating the obvious above but never know what other people have/haven't thought about yet. Have a great holiday!

We travelled with a 9 month old pre-Covid and researched like crazy! We'll be doing it again with a 6 month old (and a three year old!) next Summer. Some of my best tips:

- Ask for a bassinet seat on the plane. Do it now. Total life-saver for us, especially on the way back. Popped baby into the sky cot once we hit altitude, he fell right off to sleep, and didn't hear from him again until landing. We changed him into his pjs and brought a blanket for him, and he was fine. I think the white noise of the plane actually helped him! Along this line, I was advised to get some baby ear defenders (the type you can get for concerts etc) to help. We didn't end up needing them but a lot of people find them useful.

- In terms of formula, I had a combo fed baby who was on his way to being weaned. I didn't want to change the brand of milk he was on so packed a tub in each of our suitcases along with some ready-made bottles- the splitting between cases was both for weight and because I worried about losing a case. I also ordered some ready-made bottles and fruit pouches for collection airside at the airport (we flew from Manchester, so Boots) so that we didn't have to think about it on the plane. Always take more than you need on the flight in case of delays etc. The ready-made bottles were great for the parks too.

- A Snooze Shade was great for us. Fits right over the buggy, is UV protected and keeps little one cool.

- Take it easy. Our little ones a super flexible baby but he still got a bit cranky with the time and climate difference. Don't plan too much and go with the flow. It's a lovely age. They just love the sights and sounds.

Feel free to PM with any other questions and happy travelling :)

Granted, it’s only November, but (American here), we’re having quite a supply chain issue with baby formula right now. My niece had to pay triple and order off Amazon because she couldn’t find her brand anywhere in her town (scalpers are evil). Make sure you keep an eye on that issue in the week or two before you arrive to decide if you bring your own or purchase here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter