Disney Wonder -- NEVER AGAIN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey toadman

I certainly took no offense and was truely thankful for the heads up. From one Board Newbie to another, I simply wanted you to consider who may be on board. When I began my initial reply, there was only one other. By the time I had posted, I couldn't believe the number of respondents with similar experiences. I really think that these behaviors occur more often than we are comfortable with, and we seem pretty lucky that, for the most part, our kids all seem to fare pretty well.
Please let me also clarify that I, in no way, mean to suggest that you or anyone else simply dumps their kids off. (I think you are taking quite a thrashing over all this.) I am very thankful for DCL for giving me and DH a few precious moments to ourselves, while the kids feel a bit of independence. However, shorter leashes will be in order for the 13 and up group, especially after reading this. I hope DCL modifies their Teen Club. 13-15 and maybe Young Adult 16-18. (some kind of positive spin)
My DH and I have been reading this thread with great interest and are greatful for the discussion it has inspired. Kids really are a hot topic. OOOOOH my! What a discussion the ride home with DD must have been!

Smiles to all
tlgoblue

:Pinkbounc :) :Pinkbounc :) :Pinkbounc :) :Pinkbounc :) :Pinkbounc :) :Pinkbounc

I agree that there can be a wide gap in the maturity levels of 13-17 year olds. It <I>would</I> be better to have some separation there . . . although I have also seen older <I>immature</I> teens and younger <I>more mature</I> ones. It's a very individual thing.

When I first read the remarks the CM allegedly made regarding smoking and an adult entering the room, I thought the CM probably said it <I>jokingly</I>, as that sounds like some of the "humor" I've heard on the Wonder. IF those comments were made <I>seriously</I>, that CM should not be working for DCL.

I know that teens often embellish or even totally make up stories just to see the reaction. I am NOT saying that was the case this time, but it IS a possibility. I find it <I>very</I> hard to believe <I>all</I> of that happened on a Disney cruise. I feel confident that DCL would NOT condone such activities. I also feel that if toadman is the <I>only</I> person (with the kids) who personally experienced this, then he/they should be the one to report this to DCL. I do not believe we should complain to DCL about something WE did not experience, based on heresay.

toadman - please DO report this in complete detail to DCL and let them track down the source of the problem and deal with it appropriately. I am very sorry that this happened.

What an interesting thread! Needless to say, the game show and the CMs involved should be reported to Disney. Like Melissa, my husband and I were going to cruise for our 20th anniversary. Unfortunately, we don't have accomodations for our 2 children for a week. We also decided on cruising Disney so we could make it a family affair. Our DD6 will enjoy the club because she is a social butterfly and has already hooked up by email with a child so she will have an instant friend upon arrival. Our DD14, soon to be 15, is alot more shy. She, too, has hooked up by email with a boy her age. She is a huge tomboy and 80% of her friends are boys. (similar to her mom). I have raised both of my kids to say no to drugs, cigarettes, alcohol and sex (ok, the 6 year old hasn't heard the sex talk yet). My point is, we are very involved with our children and have learned to trust them (with our involvement). I have discussed the whole drug/alcohol/sex issue with my teen just the other day (in regards to the cruise). I also discussed Ecstacy in particular. We have set a curfew of midnight for the cruise, but most importantly, we have set up a code. She will have a walkie talkie and, if found in an uncomfortable situation, she can press the button that sounds like a "page." It will signal us to call her on the walkie talkie to join us at our location. That way, it appears that we are calling her to join us. It gives her an "out" if needed. We will also have check in times so we are aware of where she is and what she is doing. This doesn't change from any other time....we sail on December 14th. I will write upon our return and let you know what our experiences were.....happy crusing!:D

Originally posted by taswira

When I first read the remarks the CM allegedly made regarding smoking and an adult entering the room, I thought the CM probably said it <I>jokingly</I>, as that sounds like some of the "humor" I've heard on the Wonder. IF those comments were made <I>seriously</I>, that CM should not be working for DCL.

I would have thought that possible too had I not had a discussion with her this morning on the way to the orthodontist in which she said the very same things happened during our last cruise.

I know that teens often embellish or even totally make up stories just to see the reaction. I am NOT saying that was the case this time, but it IS a possibility. I find it <I>very</I> hard to believe <I>all</I> of that happened on a Disney cruise.

Again, also a posibility except that it was verified by two different kids who saw virtually nothing wrong with any of it. In fact, my own DD was very disppointed that I planned to report the incidents because the cruise wouldn't be as much "fun" in the future if they changed the rules.

Secondly, the other girl who was with us is one I trust implicitly to neither lie nor embelish. Furthermore, I also believe every word of it because the backseat conversation wasn't intended for my ears but as a rehash of all of the fun of the trip. Just the two of them talking and excited, they had no idea how shocked I was as I sat and listened.

Originally posted by Target
We have set a curfew of midnight for the cruise, but most importantly, we have set up a code. She will have a walkie talkie and, if found in an uncomfortable situation, she can press the button that sounds like a "page." It will signal us to call her on the walkie talkie to join us at our location. That way, it appears that we are calling her to join us. It gives her an "out" if needed. We will also have check in times so we are aware of where she is and what she is doing. This doesn't change from any other time....we sail on December 14th. I will write upon our return and let you know what our experiences were.....happy crusing!:D

Have a great time--just keep in mind that previous cruisers have had varying degrees of success using the walkie talkies on board, and there have been times that there has not been a signal. That is a good idea though--it allows her to save face with her new friends.

Anne

toadman - Have you considered the <I>possibility</I> that they did not want you to report it because MAYBE it was not true? I am not saying it isn't, just looking at the POSSIBILITY. Even kids who "never lie" are capable of an occasional mistake in judgement.

In any case, again I am SO SORRY for what happened, but I still believe that only you and the kids who experienced this should confront DCL with it. It will not help for those on this board who did not experience this to e-mail or write DCL based on this thread. That would only bog down the process of getting to the root of the problem. I am sure that DCL will take YOUR comments seriously and will work to eliminate any future problems with the program.

Hello tlgoblue "who is with GOBLue Guy"!

Toadman - thank you for posting this thread. Since adults are rarely in the common grounds and rarely privy to minute by minute activites, it is good that you would share with all of us your family's experience.

If this is typical of what goes on in Common Grounds, I'll be canceling my vacation for next year since my son will have turned 13 at that point. NO WAY will he set foot in there if this is what Common Grounds calls supervised activities.

My3kids, I would definitely not cancel my vacation on the basis of one post. We have NEVER had anyone report similar circumstances in the teen programming on any other cruise, just keep that in mind. :)

This seems to be turning into more of a debate than a discussion I am going to close it.

Toadman, if you have updates you'd like to post after contacting DCL please feel free to do so in a separate post. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter