• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland and Universal Hollywood combined trip

DadRox415

Earning My Ears
For my daughter's upcoming Sweet 16 (and my impending 50th) she wants to go to California and visit Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood and 'touristy things in the LA/Hollywood area'. We own DVC and I was able to book the Grand Californian for 7 nights this upcoming July. Since we have only exclusively visited Disney World, California is all new to us. From your experience, is it doable to stay at Grand Californian and drive to/from Universal Hollywood for a day trip? We were planning 3-4 days in Disneyland and 2 days in Universal Hollywood. I'm hearing horror stories of LA traffic, (upwards of 2 hours one way from Disney to Universal) but since we are a family of 5 and have the points, using our DVC makes the most financial sense. TIA!

It's easy and doable. Although you may not need 2 days at Universal Hollywood. It's so small that you can easily do it all in one day.

I would try and plan that day on a weekend, if possible. Traffic will be much less of a hassle.

It shouldn't take you 2 hours each way. More like one.

Also, don't get your hopes up for Hollywood. It's a dump.

Yes, it's doable to stay at Grand Californian and drive to/from Universal Hollywood for a day trip. And it's true, L.A. traffic can be horrific. A two hour trip to or from can happen.

It's easy and doable. Although you may not need 2 days at Universal Hollywood. It's so small that you can easily do it all in one day.

I would try and plan that day on a weekend, if possible. Traffic will be much less of a hassle.

Thank you! I'm expecting to be underwhelmed by Hollywood (LOL). Being from NY, we have only ever visited the Florida parks. I know that the California parks are smaller and you do not need as much time to see them. Haven't purchased tickets for either yet, but will keep your advice in mind. We are going Tuesday - Tuesday, so was definitely thinking a weekend would be a better time to do Universal, especially since we will be staying within walking distance to the Disney parks. Thank you for your advice!

Are you planning on renting a car or using car service to go back and forth? With the prices of rental cars being as sky high as they are right now, car service might be your best option.
You do not need a car in Anaheim; everything is within fairly easy walking distance, especially since you're staying at the Grand Californian.
I would do a weekday at Universal if you can (Thursday, maybe?). That said, traffic back and forth will be lighter on Saturday or Sunday.

Are you planning on renting a car or using car service to go back and forth? With the prices of rental cars being as sky high as they are right now, car service might be your best option.
You do not need a car in Anaheim; everything is within fairly easy walking distance, especially since you're staying at the Grand Californian.
I would do a weekday at Universal if you can (Thursday, maybe?). That said, traffic back and forth will be lighter on Saturday or Sunday.

Ride shares are exorbitant these days also. You do NOT want to rely on that to get to LA from OC. Rental cars aren't that expensive anymore here.

We will definitely be renting a car.

Ride shares are exorbitant these days also. You do NOT want to rely on that to get to LA from OC. Rental cars aren't that expensive anymore here.
I meant professionally chauffeured car service, not rideshare. Anyhow, looks like OP is planning on renting a car, anyway.

I second @DLgal: you probably only need one day at Universal. Especially if you knock a few big things off early in the day with low waits.

I don’t think it is unrealistic to expect the drive to/from the Grand to take 60-90 minutes, depending on time of day. Maybe we all just forgot how bad it was, but it’s a common opinion in my circle that traffic is worse now than it was pre-pandemic.

The touristy stuff in Hollywood (Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater) can be accomplished relatively quickly in my experience. You can park in the lot at Hollywood & Highland and get your parking validated with a small purchase…should be plenty of time to see what there is to see. Budget plenty of time to drive around town if you will be visiting multiple neighborhoods!

^ THIS

Also, if you decide to head to a beach, I'd stick to Orange County or the South Bay (Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan). DO NOT go to Venice or the Santa Monica Pier!

^ THIS

Also, if you decide to head to a beach, I'd stick to Orange County or the South Bay (Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan). DO NOT go to Venice or the Santa Monica Pier!

Don't go to Huntington Beach either, IMO.

You can easily driver over to Universal for one or two days. 7 nights is a lot of time to explore the LA area.

If you or your daughter like thrill rides, Six Flags Magic Mountain and Knotts Berry Farm are both great. Even if you don't, Knotts has a good restaurant and some shopping outside the park gates you can visit without a ticket. One day at each is more than enough.

Universal is close to Griffith Park, home to the famous observatory with views of the city and the carousel which inspired Disneyland.

Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo beaches are the nicest and have lots of restaurants around.

Don't go to Huntington Beach either, IMO.

I'm also planning a trip to Disneyland with my family and planning a few days around LA/Santa Monica. What's the reason for no Huntington Beach, Santa Monica Pier or Venice? I've been to all recentlyish (2018 +2019) but would love to better understand why.

I'm also planning a trip to Disneyland with my family and planning a few days around LA/Santa Monica. What's the reason for no Huntington Beach, Santa Monica Pier or Venice? I've been to all recentlyish (2018 +2019) but would love to better understand why.

Venice and Santa Monica is because of the rampant homeless problem that has exploded since the pandemic. HB is just personal preference really. It's not a very nice beach anymore. Lots of closures due to sewage spills (happening again currently, it's an issue that keeps happening) and overall just don't love the social reputation of the city in general. There are many much nicer beaches in OC.

Venice and Santa Monica have been pretty quiet since covid, not as much fun and more homeless people around.

I haven't been to Huntington recently, so no comment.

We did this trip in 2019 for my daughter's 16th! We loved it! The weather was amazing. Even though it's not humid, Disneyland doesn't have as many indoor queues and coverings so you are in the sun a lot. We actually moved hotels because the second half of our trip we were doing a lot in LA area so it made sense. The traffic is pretty bad but we are from NJ/NY area so we were used to traffic. They are pretty chill though didn't see any road rage or anything, I guess they are used to it or patient! I took a picture of Waze, it was going to take 45 minutes to go 7 miles! We only needed one day in Universal. It's not as big as the Florida one. Some things we did in case you need ideas, Hollywood Walk of Fame, tour of Dolby theatre, Madam Tussands, Duff's Cake Mix, Rodeo Drive, Warner Bros tour, Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach (did not like as others mentioned), Manhattan Beach, In and Out Burger several times, The Grove.

Look into doing the non-private VIP tour at Universal Hollywood. There are different times for the starts and it includes a lot of things (valet parking, small breakfast, lunch). You get exclusive access to the backlot with a semi-private backlot tour and get to see a soundstage as well. On top of that you get walked to front of the line access for the rides and shows. It is really a good value and you can make the most out of Universal that way. Especially since what differentiates Universal Hollywood is the backlot tour. I believe it is $359/pp which is really not bad for all that you get. Have a great time!

We did this trip in 2019 for my daughter's 16th! We loved it! The weather was amazing. Even though it's not humid, Disneyland doesn't have as many indoor queues and coverings so you are in the sun a lot. We actually moved hotels because the second half of our trip we were doing a lot in LA area so it made sense. The traffic is pretty bad but we are from NJ/NY area so we were used to traffic. They are pretty chill though didn't see any road rage or anything, I guess they are used to it or patient! I took a picture of Waze, it was going to take 45 minutes to go 7 miles! We only needed one day in Universal. It's not as big as the Florida one. Some things we did in case you need ideas, Hollywood Walk of Fame, tour of Dolby theatre, Madam Tussands, Duff's Cake Mix, Rodeo Drive, Warner Bros tour, Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach (did not like as others mentioned), Manhattan Beach, In and Out Burger several times, The Grove.
This is all great and helpful info, thank you! We live on Long Island and my daughter goes to college in Philadelphia so I guess we’re somewhat used to traffic. Someone suggested we buy the Go City pass to do some of the touristy stuff. we also decided to splurge for the 1 day Universal Express Pass.

This is all great and helpful info, thank you! We live on Long Island and my daughter goes to college in Philadelphia so I guess we’re somewhat used to traffic. Someone suggested we buy the Go City pass to do some of the touristy stuff. we also decided to splurge for the 1 day Universal Express Pass.
Fellow native Long Islander here, now living in Orlando. New York and Philadelphia traffic have NOTHING on LA. Highways with 7 lanes in each direction can come to complete standstills. It can take 2 hours to go 12 miles.

I would consider booking a hotel in the Universal area for a couple of nights. It took us 2 1/2 hours to drive back from the Universal area to the DLR area and that was not during rush hour. Universal is very close to the Hollywood stuff. We spent a couple of nights in that area and spent one day at Universal and another day doing the Warner Brothers tour, Hollywood area, Griffith Observatory etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter