Disneyland Castle, Another pink nightmare?

Epcot83

Mouseketeer
Okay. For those of you who went to WDW during the 25th aniversary, you had to go through the pain of seeing Cinderella's caslte look like a giant cake. Although it did look good to eat, it was just dumb looking. Now, with the 50th Celebration I think they did a good job on Cinderella's castle this time, the mirror on the front, Peter and Wendy flying around the top spire, very nice. But over in California, in my opinion it don't look too good.

When they started out decorating Sleeping Beauty's Castle, painting gold trim on it, it looked very nice. Just add a little bit of gold garlend, a cool thing in the fornt and maybe some gold charecters like Cindy's it would have been fine. But then when they added the huge crowns, and over sized decorations for the castle, it just went down hill form there. Let's start with the crowns.

The crowns are too over powering, the castle is too small for them, and in generel, I just don't think they look good. It's a good idea having five crowns for the first five decades, but they need some work.

Then the huge Mickey head on the front. Why couldn't they have done something cool like the mirror on Cindy's castle? It's just a gold Mickey. Nothing special.

The huge flags hanging in front and on the walls of the castle. They are also too big, and a little garish. They look like the size for Cindy's castle, even there they might have looked wrong. Again, they are just too over powering.

So, all in all. I think ti jsut looks way too tacky. The castle is ver small and quaint, and the decorations are way too big, and they jsut don't look good. I don't know maybe I'm worng, but I know a person that works for the Disney Archives who thiks the caslte doesn't look good either.

Here are some pictures to help you understand.

Birthday Cake castle (Disney World) - http://www.noprivilege.com/albums/vacation1997/pink_castle.jpg

Cinderella's Caslte decorated (Disney World) - http://www.wdwinfo.com/photos/50th-celebration/

Sleeping Beauty's Caslte with the little bit of gold trim - http://photos1.blogger.com/img/255/3174/1024/Sleeping Beauty Castle.jpg

Sleeping Beauty's Caste now - http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/photos/50th-Anniversary/pages/Sleeping Beauty Castle-8.htm

So, to sum it up. I just thik they over did it. Like if you put to many decorations on your Christmas tree it looks dumb. Any one agree with me on this?

The two bottom links didn't work, but I already know what the castle looks like. I dunno, I feel Disney has forever been the type of company to be the life of the party. Whenever they celebrate for something big, they really go all out to make sure everyone has a good time. They try to cover all milestones, birthdays, and holidays and with doing so, they won't put any stops on the decorations they have in mind to display. For the park's 50th year in operation, they're totally ecstatic and perhaps went a little overboard with wanting to make it the most memorable celebration ever. Yeah, I'll admit some of it is a bit much, but it's a beautiful bit much, and that's the way Disney does things! :earsgirl:

I liked the WDW pink castle, and after seeing the DL castle I think it looks beautiful. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

I like the decorations for the castle at DL -- It's supposed to be a fairytale, and I like how the crowns celebrate the 50 years that the park has been in existence.

I actually have heard alot of people dislike and complain about the big mirror or whatever it is called on Cinderella's castle in WDW....many people have said that it looks tacky.
Me, I like all the decorations! But I do like what they have done on the DL castle...but I have always loved the look of crowns and tiaras anyways. :teeth:

Personally I think WDWs is ugly and I HATE the mirror and I HATED the pink castle

I love DLs and think its a great salute to the park. Not gaudy but pretigeous

-em

I've only seen photos of DL castle, but I think it looks lovely. I also liked WDW's birthday cake castle - I wouldn't want to see it there all the time, but it was fine for such an occasion as a 25th anniversary! :goodvibes

Oh, I forgot to mention the birthday cake castle reminded me of something right out of Candyland or the witch's house in the Hansel and Gretel fairy tale. Looked good enough to eat! :earboy2:

Just wanted to say that I agree with most of the previous posts here.... from what I have seen of the newly decorated DL castle, I think it looks great.

Perhaps for those that have grown used to the "old" castle, it may be a bit much to take in... however, I can't help but admire the work and love that's got into it.

I think it makes the 50th year a whole lot more special and is a lovely centrepiece for the park's celebrations.

WE enjoyed seeing the DL decorated for the 50th. I had seen it before and after and thought they did a beautiful job on the decorating.

I love the crowns, especially what they represent: one decade each of Disneyland's existence and a highlight of an attraction from that decade, such as the snakes from Indy.
I'm also one of the few, I guess, who didn't mind the Castle Cake at WDW.

We recently made our first trip to DL. I liked the castle, though I had never before seen it in person I was certainly familiar with it's apperance in pictures and on TV. Didn't bother me a bit.

As for the pink castle at WDW, I had mixed feelings about that. I actually thought it was okay but I get to go to WDW regularly so I knew it was only temporary. But I felt bad for folks making that once in a lifetime trip who only got to see it that way.

I haven't seen the current decorations in WDW - I'll be there in 9 weeks - so can't comment yet on those.

I think it looks great..... I even liked the 25th birthday cake castle....it's nice to see something different every once in a while...it's not like it stays that way either. :)

The 25th Birthday Cake of WDW was my DW's first trip to WDW ever. We both loved it. We use that as a focal point of remembrance for when we talk about her first trip. Not many people can say that during their first trip, the Castle was a cake.

Now, this is going to be my first trip to DL and I can say that I am very excited. Again, I am going to have a focal point as a remembrance of my trip. I know for a fact I will be taking lots of pictures to commemorate the event. Man, I can't wait.

On my way to Disneyland!! :cheer2: :cloud9:

I think Sleeping Beauty's Castle is stunning, and my daughter just loved it too. I also thought Cinderella's Castle looked beautiful with all the Disney characters throughout the spires...I think overall Disney did a fantastic job decorating for the celebration and I am thrilled I was able to enjoy two parks this year!

:3dglasses

I love the castle, too. But I think when the 50th celebration is over, they should tone down the pink. I guess we all like something different :wizard:

I think that the castle is beautiful. Before it was a faded pink and looked like it needed a new paint job. Now it is vibrant and gorgeous. IMHO

:wizard: I think it's a Magical Fairytale Place! BEAUTIFUL!!! princess:

Disney did a fantastic job with both castles this year. The decoration of each really suits its scope and scale. With a lot of room to work with, Cinderella Castle is filled with great details that you notice more and more as you approach it. Sleeping Beauty Castle's decoration is more understated, and perfectly in keeping with the castle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter