• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Halloween Plans- Mickey's Party or not??

jesses_disney_girl

Earning My Ears
Hi guys,

We will be first time Disneyland visitors during Halloween of this year. I'm torn about whether or not we should plan to attend the Halloween party. We will only be in the LA area for two days after our wedding. I want to do a day at each park. Should we get tickets to the Halloween party on 10/17 and therefore have access to the park at either 3 or 4, or should we go to DCA that day and go to DL on 10/16 to get a full day’s worth at each park? I want to be able to fit as much in as possible. When we go to WDW, we typically only do one day in each park and we’re able to get everything done, however we are at the park before rope drop each day and don’t leave until they throw us out :P We’re open to any suggestions and any help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

If it is at all possible to buy park hoppers, I strongly suggest that. The reason is that the parks are right across from each other. Should you want to get a fast pass for rides on both parks, you can easily do that. I just spent a full day in DCA and there were a few times when I wanted to go to DL, but didn't because my companion didn't have a park hopper. Whenever I only go to DL for the day, I regret not being able to run away from all the crowds to DCA for a while. The food lines are not long at DCA, they are usually long at DL.

I think the Halloween party is a waste of money for adults unless you love Halloween and don't care about the other stuff. I also think it's a waste of money for kids, but people with kids seem to enjoy it. Not all the rides are open and the ones that are have really long lines. It isn't unusual to wait over 30 minutes in line for food and then not have anywhere to sit. If you had the park hoppers, you could stay in DL til the kick people out for the party and then go to DCA. You could already have a fast pass for a ride in DCA if you decided to go pick one up early in the day (you want to do that for radiator springs).

DCA is heavier with longer lines on MHP days and DL is packed on non-MHP days. But this is relative to that weekly crowds. Not sure what crowds will be like that week (the week before will be super busy).

We like the MHP. A lot of stuff out that is unique to the party and they do a great job setting the atmosphere (fog, characters, costumes, etc.). Attendance isn't light though, but we do find the crowds seems to move in a herd. You can walk up to an attraction, restaurant, treat trial and it will be super packed...and then return an hour later and walk right on. Plus, hours are usually later than non-MHP weekdays (when DL often closes at 8).

Last edited:
Not all the rides are open and the ones that are have really long lines. It isn't unusual to wait over 30 minutes in line for food and then not have anywhere to sit.
I'm not sure if you should do the Halloween party or not. You would have more time if you did a regular park day, but if you enjoy Halloween it might be more fun. That said, I just wanted to point out that experiences vary with regard to the above quote. I think it's true that not all rides are open, but when I went certainly most were (I think maybe Toon Town was closed), and you can ride the rides that will close during the 3-hours before the party starts. I also didn't experience long lines for food or rides. My group walked on to Indiana Jones and rode twice in a row because there was no one waiting to ride, and other rides had fairly short lines. Pizza Port was completely empty and I think that might be because people didn't realize it was open (we might have been lucky, because I have heard complaints about food lines before). But it certainly felt crowded out in the walkways because there was space taken up by trick-or-treat trails and character meets.

That said, I just wanted to point out that experiences vary with regard to the above quote. I think it's true that not all rides are open, but when I went certainly most were (I think maybe Toon Town was closed).

That's been my experience. All rides open except Towntoon.

Toontown often keeps shorter hours then the rest of the park, opening one hour after RD and closing one hour before fireworks (be aware that most of Fantasyland closes temporarily for the fireworks). Toontown is also used for the pre-party M&G if held.

For the OP, its a tough choice....but I don't think there is a wrong decision.

With the night time entertainment being canceled for fall I wou choose MHP if you wanted fireworks or a parade. Although you should get the fireworks on the 7/16.

October is Santa Ana Wind season in Southern California, so if fireworks are the deal maker/breaker for the party, there is no guarantee that they will happen. They are a nice perk for the party, but they shouldn't be the main reason to attend.

. Not all the rides are open and the ones that are have really long lines. It isn't unusual to wait over 30 minutes in line for food and then not have anywhere to sit.

I have had the exact opposite experience. Nearly everything was open and the lines were SSSSSOOOOOO much shorter than they were during the day. A lot of people at the party seemed to be there more for characters meets and treat trails and the ride were nearly walk on.

One thing to keep in mind with the halloween party is that it is the only way to see a fireworks show that lasts more than 5 minutes and hars projections on the castle (with the change in FW shows after the 60th) and its the only way watch a night time parade since PTN will be ending and it's not being replaced with a different night time parade.

But if those arent big things for you guys and your not into halloween, or rare character meets then I would skip it. it's a lot of money for sure and it would be cheaper to do 2 day hoppers than 1 day and a party I think.

We planned our trip before the party dates were released and then found out there is going to be one on a night we will be there. It's a new experience for us so we're going. I guess we'll see if it's worth it or not...

I agree with OP that you should spring for hoppers especially if you aren't going to the party though. We did one trip without and totally regretted it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter