Disneyland hotel vs Grand Californian

janischa

Mouseketeer
Hiya, my family will be going to Disneyland this Summer. We've always done Orlando in the past (home resort BWV) so this is all new. We've got a preferred studio booked at VDH (villas disneyland hotel) but wondering if we should waitlist for Grand Cali. I've already understood that people prefer Cali because of no nightly tax and closer to the park. But also that there's little chance of a waitlist coming through. I was hoping that I could hear a few more opinions on the difference between Cali and DLH. The pools are very important for my kids, so is there a big difference there? And are there community centres? And what in terms of dining? Also new for us is staying in a studio (we usually always book 1bdr or 2bdr) will there be laundry machines? And how well equipped are the kitchens? Thank you all!

There is no ToT at VGC and there are some nights where the point charts are less. VDH rooms are much newer and in my opinion had a more fun pool. VGC is closer to the main entrance of Disneyland and has a direct entrance into DCA. VDH isn't that far of a walk tho and is very close to the monorail which drops you off in tomorrowland in Disneyland

If your kids like splash pad areas at pools, the Grand Californian doesn't have any of those. They have 2 pools and just 1 slide. I haven't stayed at the Disneyland Hotel but I do think they have more exciting pools/splash areas for kids. I would definitely look for some videos or something of the pool areas to get a better idea of which one your kids would like.

From my understanding, the Disneyland hotel, in general, seems more like a fun/lively vibe whereas the theming and atmosphere at The Grand Californian is more laid back. Of course, it's all a matter of opinion. But again, I'd definitely go on youtube to help you get a feel for each resort. Though, in my opinion, you can't really go wrong with either!

Thank you :-) What is ToT?
TOT = Transient Occupation Tax collected by the City of Anaheim on all hotel and timeshare stays, which you’ll pay at the end of your VDH stay. It’s $2.xx per point per night. The VGC doesn’t have that tax - the owners pay it as part of their dues (at a lower rate negotiated many years ago).

VGC - Peak Disney bubble. Greater than even any place at WDW. Best location for fall and winter. Pool vibe is great for chilling and relaxing but not as good as VDH/DH IMO. Rooms are in dire need of a remodel.

VDH - A little less of a bubble but still awesome. More of a relaxed island/tropical vibe. I actually really like the theme of the tower. Prior to palm breeze opening I would have said GC had better poolside food but not now. Walking over to great maple is going to be high on the priority this next trip. Peak Disney nostalgia. Pool vibe for fun/kids is better at DH.

Both have great kitchens in the 1BR or larger units.

Based on your desire for pool fun VDH will suit you well :)

Recently stayed at both, and fully expected to like VGC more, so I was surprised by how much I adored VDH, and would be eager to stay there in the future.

I can't comment on the dining and pools, as we didn't use either, but I just wanted to say that vibes-wise, I actually preferred the design, color scheme and historical "feel" of the Disneyland Hotel more than VGC, though it was also lovely.

Hope your trip is wonderful!

The pool at VDH/DLH is way more kid-friendly that VGC/GCH. There's a splash pad at VDH and the monorail slides are right outside the tower.

As for dining, VGC/GCH has much better options than VDH/DLH.

Thanks! We're in the same boat. Have 2 nights in a VDH Standard View Studio after returning from Aulani. We had a VGC waitlist but cancelled it after reading your comments. Gonna stick with VDH Thanks again!

Thanks! We're in the same boat. Have 2 nights in a VDH Standard View Studio after returning from Aulani. We had a VGC waitlist but cancelled it after reading your comments. Gonna stick with VDH Thanks again!
Just make sure you get a high level floor. The engineering stuff in that corner of the property is a bit noisy. A higher floor helps for those standard view rooms.

We left VGC tuesday morning after a four night stay. VGC was our first DVC purchase and we love it. That being said, we ventured over to VDH the first night and were impressed. Definitely like the feel of the pool but the waterslides were closed for refurbishment. I really like the VGC pools but DLH defintely has an edge. I will also say that the poke bowl I got at Tangaroa was excellent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter