Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

The possibility of DL Annual Passholder blockouts are discussed in the OC Register:

Will Disneyland block out annual passholders for weeks at a time?
https://flip.it/A1BB0H

It’ll be interesting to see if they are overestimating how many people will come and stay for a week over the next few months given how limited everything will be. I definitely think you’ll get guests staying overnight from California, Arizona etc. but a week? With masks, social distancing, no fireworks, no parades, no character meet and greets, no character dining, etc. etc. etc. Please. 2-3 days max will be plenty for most people.

I also don’t understand how they’re going to accurately implement the days we’ve missed due to the closure.... we have a flex pass and every single day between March 14 and June 27 when our passes expired were either green or reservation. Our black out dates only cover the three week holiday period in December and early January. So how do they give us the time left on our passes with a reservation system? Do we get the 3.5 months straight away, and too bad so sad for the days you’re blocked out under the new system? The worst is the people with the signature plus passes that don’t have black out dates.... they’ve paid all of this money for what’s now essentially a flex pass.

Chapek comes off like a jerk in that call.... Disneyland AP holders spend a TON of money at Disneyland. We went at minimum one weekend a month and ate on property and don’t even get me started on the amount of merchandise we’ve purchased. Way more than what we used to spend maybe once a year at WDW.

I don’t mean to sound negative, because I really dislike that tone on these boards, but I have a feeling AP holders are going to get screwed.

and too bad so sad for the days you’re blocked out under the new system?
Yes; that’s why WDW was allowing AP cancellations without question through yesterday.

There is a work-around for WDW APs when AP reservations are full...regular tickets linked to MDX/MDE accounts allow park reservations. With MDX, it’s easy to then reassign the regular tickets and save them for future upgrades or AP renewals.

When DLR implements their park reservation system, there should be enough time for APs to determine if they should just cancel their APs.

If DLR moves towards using an MDX-type of program for park reservations, then the regular ticket work around/loophole should work unless IT ties a park reservation directly to a ticket/AP. At WDW, the reservation is linked to the MDX account Profiles.

I also don’t understand how they’re going to accurately implement the days we’ve missed due to the closure.... we have a flex pass and every single day between March 14 and June 27 when our passes expired were either green or reservation. Our black out dates only cover the three week holiday period in December and early January. So how do they give us the time left on our passes with a reservation system? Do we get the 3.5 months straight away, and too bad so sad for the days you’re blocked out under the new system? The worst is the people with the signature plus passes that don’t have black out dates.... they’ve paid all of this money for what’s now essentially a flex pass.

I don’t mean to sound negative, because I really dislike that tone on these boards, but I have a feeling AP holders are going to get screwed.
Assuming they do it the same way as WDW APs will definitely get the short end of the stick. The extension is added on immediately(plus 1 "free" month due to reservation period) and all levels of APs pull from the same "bucket" of reservations. The only other option is to cancel the remainder of you pass in full and get an amount equal to the value per day you could've used the remainder of your pass (example your pass was good 200 days and you could've gone for 100 of those days you'll get 50% of your money back). It will be interesting to see how they will treat reservation only days for flex passes as usable days

Assuming they do it the same way as WDW APs will definitely get the short end of the stick. The extension is added on immediately(plus 1 "free" month due to reservation period) and all levels of APs pull from the same "bucket" of reservations. The only other option is to cancel the remainder of you pass in full and get an amount equal to the value per day you could've used the remainder of your pass (example your pass was good 200 days and you could've gone for 100 of those days you'll get 50% of your money back). It will be interesting to see how they will treat reservation only days for flex passes as usable days

Thank you..... I have stayed away from the WDW boards and the AP discussions. But now it seems like it may be relevant pretty soon for Disneyland APs. Thanks for this information.

So we have a vacation planned in late November for our sons birthday. We went a year ago for halloween and got to do fireworks, shows and such. But lines were crazy. The only reason we were going this time is for the shorter, less crowded experience.

The possibility of DL Annual Passholder blockouts are discussed in the OC Register:

Will Disneyland block out annual passholders for weeks at a time?
https://flip.it/A1BB0H
Yep. Everyone with a DLR AP should be ready to be treated like WDW AP holders are. I hope you all aren’t, I think WDW screwed up on many levels but be mentally ready to request that refund 😔

I hope DLR gets more flexibility by allowing park hopping so people can hop to one park when the other is crowded. Epcot is having a serious ghost town problem right now, I can see DCA ending up like that if Disney isn’t careful.

The hours will also be interesting. Longer hours cost more but would allow more ebb and flow of people through the day. The short hours are cheaper but lead to everyone doing everything at once. And no dinner business. (imagine the dining revenue at DCA with no dinner business 😬)

Yep. Everyone with a DLR AP should be ready to be treated like WDW AP holders are. I hope you all aren’t, I think WDW screwed up on many levels but be mentally ready to request that refund 😔

I hope DLR gets more flexibility by allowing park hopping so people can hop to one park when the other is crowded. Epcot is having a serious ghost town problem right now, I can see DCA ending up like that if Disney isn’t careful.

The hours will also be interesting. Longer hours cost more but would allow more ebb and flow of people through the day. The short hours are cheaper but lead to everyone doing everything at once. And no dinner business. (imagine the dining revenue at DCA with no dinner business 😬)
Quick question. I know WDW passholders have to reserve each day, and can only get 3 days at a time. And there is no parkhopping. Have any passholders been able to score last minute reservations? Kind of like with the flex pass? I've watched a vlogger who has gone quite a few times and she is able to pick up last minute reservations, but I wasn't sure if this was common or she is lucky lol.

I've watched a vlogger who has gone quite a few times and she is able to pick up last minute reservations, but I wasn't sure if this was common or she is lucky lol.
She more than likely has at least one regular ticket linked to her in her MDX/MDE account.

I have regular comp tickets in my MDE account and I can book to enter 3 of the 4 parks to enter now - 5p ET today. Only DHS has been booked up for regular ticket holders.

The vlogger probably makes her park reservation then moves/reassigns that regular ticket.

Last edited:
I’m really interested to see how they handle APs. We are flex pass holders anyways so the daily limitation doesn’t change anything for us. But if they start adding blackout dates I did not agree to, or if they severely limit the pass to where it is essentially useless there is going to be some issues.

Also those numbers are SO CLOSE.

Quick question. I know WDW passholders have to reserve each day, and can only get 3 days at a time. And there is no parkhopping. Have any passholders been able to score last minute reservations? Kind of like with the flex pass? I've watched a vlogger who has gone quite a few times and she is able to pick up last minute reservations, but I wasn't sure if this was common or she is lucky lol.
Not sure

Yes; that’s why WDW was allowing AP cancellations without question through yesterday.

There is a work-around for WDW APs when AP reservations are full...regular tickets linked to MDX/MDE accounts allow park reservations. With MDX, it’s easy to then reassign the regular tickets and save them for future upgrades or AP renewals.

When DLR implements their park reservation system, there should be enough time for APs to determine if they should just cancel their APs.

If DLR moves towards using an MDX-type of program for park reservations, then the regular ticket work around/loophole should work unless IT ties a park reservation directly to a ticket/AP. At WDW, the reservation is linked to the MDX account Profiles.

So what you are saying is buy tickets, make a reservation, then reassign their tickets to a different date and use your AP to enter the park?

So what you are saying is buy tickets, make a reservation, then reassign their tickets to a different date and use your AP to enter the park?
Yes, basically ~ that was in effect last month. WDW tickets don’t have to be dated; there’s a Flexible add-on that keeps them valid for any date until they finally expire like all regular tickets.

Reassigning usually refers to moving to another Profile, fake or real.

Please, APs don't take this the wrong way, but the reason the crowds are so bad at DL is there are too many APs. We had them for a couple of years but it got to be a forced march to get to the parks enough to get real value out of it, and Disney kept raising AP prices to try and limit the sheer # of APs so they could provide a reasonable experience for week-long visitors. That backfired though because AP holders just kept buying them, seemingly regardless of the price. We gave up - we go maybe 1-2 days a year and actually spend more time in WDW, even though we live 20 minutes from DL. LSS - hate to say it, but if this all results in a lot fewer APs that would be a good thing.

Please, APs don't take this the wrong way, but the reason the crowds are so bad at DL is there are too many APs. We had them for a couple of years but it got to be a forced march to get to the parks enough to get real value out of it, and Disney kept raising AP prices to try and limit the sheer # of APs so they could provide a reasonable experience for week-long visitors. That backfired though because AP holders just kept buying them, seemingly regardless of the price. We gave up - we go maybe 1-2 days a year and actually spend more time in WDW, even though we live 20 minutes from DL. LSS - hate to say it, but if this all results in a lot fewer APs that would be a good thing.
Not taking this the wrong way, but how do you explain the Christmas Week crowds when only the top two passes are allowed in (Sig + and Premier -- which hardly comprise the majority of passholders), and the parks hit capacity closures at least twice every year? TDA estimates 80% of those crowds are day ticket holders, not APs, every year. DLR has no problem drawing in crowds of all kinds, on all forms of entry media. This is an old argument/horse that has been beaten to glue in many threads. It's easy to blame one group or another.

Not taking this the wrong way, but how does you explain the Christmas Week crowds when only the top two passes are allowed in (Sig + and Premier -- which hardly comprise the majority of passholders), and the parks hit capacity closures at least twice every year? TDA estimates 80% of those crowds are day ticket holders, not APs, every year. DLR has no problem drawing in crowds of all kinds, on all forms of entry media. The is an old arguement/horse that has been beaten to glue in many threads. It's easy to blame one group or another.
"Christmas" is how I would explain it. We purposely go on the days the ticket prices are highest because we know AP's will be all but blocked out and crowds will be manageable. I will say you are right, APs aren't solely to blame. You really have to watch the end date on the 2-fer deal in particular. Everyone goes the last weekend because they forget they had another day coming. We made the mistake of trying to go that weekend one time and couldn't get into the parking lot. I felt so bad for the people who had traveled there and had no idea, and no choice on when they could go. We turned around and went to the beach instead and came back the next weekend - more expensive, but MUCH better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter