Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Ghaly noted that initially, Disneyland and other parks were not expected to open until the final stage of the pandemic recovery, when herd immunity was established.

Back in June when there was talk about opening theme parks that was what I thought. So I’m not completely crazy, that’s good to know. I think the more that is known with this Virus the more things change. I’m still not convinced that going to a theme park during a pandemic is the best idea but so far (as far as we know) it has been done relatively safely in Florida.

So with that Yellow make sense because they were planning on opening in stage 3 before Both Yellow and Stage 3 are the final stage before “normal.”

Just a guess but I'm thinking the noon statement is just lost in translation, or assumed. Since the state said "this week" and the pressers have been at noon. I can't find that in the OC Register article or Twitter.

It would surprise me, if true, that DLR would open with that distance requirement. I get that a significant portion of visitors are local...but does AP revenue even compare to people buying 3-4-5-day hoppers? esp the cheaper passes. Like, how skimpy are the offerings going to be to be able to turn a profit?

Back in June when there was talk about opening theme parks that was what I thought. So I’m not completely crazy, that’s good to know. I think the more that is known with this Virus the more things change. I’m still not convinced that going to a theme park during a pandemic is the best idea but so far (as far as we know) it has been done relatively safely in Florida.

So with that Yellow make sense because they were planning on opening in stage 3 before Both Yellow and Stage 3 are the final stage before “normal.”

It cannot be that they have to wait for yellow. There is just no way. Yellow means no more than 30 cases per day in OC. We have 5 times that number, on average.

The statement from the governor's office says that guidelines will be released "that will allow theme parks to reopen."

My guess is that they will be allowed to reopen now, with HEAVY restrictions in place UNTIL we reach yellow.

It would surprise me, if true, that DLR would open with that distance requirement. I get that a significant portion of visitors are local...but does AP revenue even compare to people buying 3-4-5-day hoppers? esp the cheaper passes. Like, how skimpy are the offerings going to be to be able to turn a profit?
I think they will still open but also fight it or dispute it while being open. If implemented this brings up so many logistical issues for current ticket holders a d AP holders who are not in range that I'm sure they don't want to deal with lol

If the distance requirement does go through, it can be enforced. Not easily, but it can be done (requiring ID or proof of address; perhaps coming up with specific zip codes which are within the 120 miles allowed, etc). But there also will be plenty of people who break the rules just to visit even though they live further away. People will be monitoring that - if suddenly someone from Texas is posting instagram photos in DLR, it will be pretty obvious - and it worries me that it would lead to being even stricter. The onus will be on the theme parks themselves, so assume they could end up getting fined if they don't enforce well enough.

If the distance requirement does go through, it can be enforced. Not easily, but it can be done (requiring ID or proof of address; perhaps coming up with specific zip codes which are within the 120 miles allowed, etc). But there also will be plenty of people who break the rules just to visit even though they live further away. People will be monitoring that - if suddenly someone from Texas is posting instagram photos in DLR, it will be pretty obvious - and it worries me that it would lead to being even stricter. The onus will be on the theme parks themselves, so assume they could end up getting fined if they don't enforce well enough.
I agree, but I think it would be hard to accuse someone of having broken any rules. Some people have IDs with old/current addresses or they have utility bills with old/current addresses but may reside somewhere else. Like someone may be in the Bay Area right now for school but they address on their id is their home in Anaheim. The same could be said of someone in Texas. However, I still think DLR will handle this and be fine.

This is one thing I keep thinking about. And one of the many reasons I think Disneyland (and any other park) would fight against the distancing rule if it were to happen. We all know how big the AP market is for Disneyland, but Disney does still make LOTS of their money from the tourists who buy tickets for several days and are in the parks for those 3-5 days buying multiple meals, treats, and merch as a once a year or once every few years event. If you cut out those "tourists", after already cutting your capacity by 75% your might be left with a park that has a lot of AP's that typically can come more on weekends and evenings. (I know some AP's would make trips and staycations of it, but already the pandemic will have some guests not running back, and getting park reservations will likely be challenging at first.) Doing business at 25% of capacity is already very difficult... this would make it even less financially viable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter