Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

I don't live in California but I really feel Disney and the Governor do not like each other.
Maybe so, but that isn't how an elected official should govern. They answer to us, not the other way around.
Actually, the two have had a very good relationship in the past (especially thanks to Mr. Iger:rolleyes:). Now, does this change that going forward? Who knows. But as the saying goes, "It's politics." That's really all this is.

I'm standing here with a pitchfork, yet not sure where to go lol

I'm going to wait until Newsom announces before jumping to further conclusions right now. There is just so much interpretation and speculation going on it's hard to keep up. I'm not sure if anyone has the correct answer at this point.

It cannot be that they have to wait for yellow. There is just no way. Yellow means no more than 30 cases per day in OC. We have 5 times that number, on average.

The statement from the governor's office says that guidelines will be released "that will allow theme parks to reopen."

My guess is that they will be allowed to reopen now, with HEAVY restrictions in place UNTIL we reach yellow.

I don't necessarily agree with holding off until yellow. I think Orange is the right place to open with 25% capacity. I was just pointing out the rumor of yellow makes sense based on when they were going to reopen back in June. I could also see them making the entire "region" to be that color before they are allowed to open with the travel restrictions. Meaning Orange, LA, and SD all have to be Orange before any of them can open Theme Parks in that those counties. The same for the SF Bay Area for those Theme Parks.

It would surprise me, if true, that DLR would open with that distance requirement. I get that a significant portion of visitors are local...but does AP revenue even compare to people buying 3-4-5-day hoppers? esp the cheaper passes. Like, how skimpy are the offerings going to be to be able to turn a profit?
AP"s and current multi-day passes might not even be valid during this period of time. They could do it like one of the foriegn parks did and everyone must be special date specific passes.

This is a hot mess!
If you remember what Josh D'Amaro said the other week in his message to state leaders: "...I encourage you to treat the theme parks like you would other sectors and help us reopen. We need guidelines that are fair and equitable..."

The rumors of waiting until Yellow and limiting customers based on where they live are not how any other sector are being treated. That can't be viewed as fair or equitable. So maybe he knew they were leaning this way or worried they would lean this way.

If the announcement from the State was "No amusement parks until there is a vaccine" I would hate that, but I would feel like they said where they stood. If they announce "No amusement parks until the county reaches the yellow tier" I feel like they are basically saying the same thing but making it seem like that is attainable... And I really don't think it will be attainable for large population centers until there is a vaccine.

This is a hot mess!
If you remember what Josh D'Amaro said the other week in his message to state leaders: "...I encourage you to treat the theme parks like you would other sectors and help us reopen. We need guidelines that are fair and equitable..."

The rumors of waiting until Yellow and limiting customers based on where they live are not how any other sector are being treated. That can't be viewed as fair or equitable. So maybe he knew they were leaning this way or worried they would lean this way.

If the announcement from the State was "No amusement parks until there is a vaccine" I would hate that, but I would feel like they said where they stood. If they announce "No amusement parks until the county reaches the yellow tier" I feel like they are basically saying the same thing but making it seem like that is attainable... And I really don't think it will be attainable for large population centers until there is a vaccine.
Waiting until a vaccine is so confusing to me. I know so many people will NOT get one, for any , many reasons that they feel is best for them.
So if we have a vaccine, and many people opt out of that resource, will enough people get it for it to make the difference they are hoping for communities to reach yellow or green? Still so much unknown.

Ok. So maybe the picture is clearer now?

Parks and government were talking. At some point they reached a stalemate and quit talking. Parks, especially Disney, use press to put pressure on government to release guidelines. Government responds with plan to release guidelines that parks do not like. Iger quits task force since it’ll look bad if he’s involved. Parks ask government to hold off on releasing guidelines. And here we are.

Hey, I have an idea: How about the government keeps parks closed BUT establishes a fund or other system so that affected workers can keep their jobs. Of course, that would cost money that the parks (business) and government (citizens) would not be willing to spend.

Very interested in what happens tomorrow.

It's never been just Disney, though. Legoland was actually the first to hold a press conference begging to get guidelines. We know Knotts has been equally vocal. It's ALL theme parks in CA.

This is not some Disney vs. The Governor showdown.

Agree.
However, playing devil's advocate, Disney has been very aggressive in painting that picture. Disney prides itself on storytelling and the narrative of "poor us against the mean Governor" is very easy to buy into.

Also, OC Register has been pushing hard on that same narrative. The article I found had most of their quotes from City officials not park spokespeople. The park people seem to all just say that they are ready to open. I could be wrong (probably most likely) but this has been brewing in my mind for a while.

It's never been just Disney, though. Legoland was actually the first to hold a press conference begging to get guidelines. We know Knotts has been equally vocal. It's ALL theme parks in CA.

This is not some Disney vs. The Governor showdown.
I think this being a Disney board people forget this.

Sure be interesting to see what happens tomorrow... I’m not holding my breath.

Off to circle back to researching WDW again.. 😅
I'm not holding my breath either. This is unbelievable. Every theme park that I am familiar with around the world is open. Why is California so special? But I'm definitely not going to WDW. The lines are so long now, and with no fastpass, it's not for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter