Disneyland Secrets

Epcot83

Mouseketeer
Okay. I have not yet seen this as a thread. If any one has started one already I'm sorry, but I an starting this because of The WDW Theme Park Secret Thread. There's alot of interesting facts about WDW, and there are also alot of interesting facts about Dinseyland too. So here it is.

There are many rumors about Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland. That the top of it was put on backwards, some say it was the builders were messing around with the top of the castle and heard that Walt was coming so put it on in a hurry, but put it on bacwards, etc. But to set the record straight here's the realt story. I know this is true because I know a person that works for the Disney archives who comfirmed this, any ways...

The man who helped Walt with Sleeping Beauty's castle was Herbert Ryman. He and Walt flew to Germany to see the inspirational castle for Disneyland's castle. Neuschwanstein newie-shwan-stine. They originaly had Sleeping Beauty's castle looking almost exactly like Neuschwanstein itself. But Herman didn't like that too much. So why he was looking at the MODEL of Sleeping Beauty's castle he flipped the top half of it around, hard to explain but you might be able to see in the pictures. When Walt walked in and saw the new castle look he liked it.

Here are some pictures to help you understand better.

Walt's original castle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Disneyland_Concepts.jpg

Neuschwanstein - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein

Sleeping Beauty's Castle today - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Beauty_Castle

Walt orignialy was going to have the Castle as Snow Whites, but changed it to Sleeping Beauty's to promote his newest project, Sleeping Beauty, the movie.

Excellent topic! I would be very interested to hear lots of Disneyland secrets, and I am sure others will be too! I have to bump this over to the Disneyland board though, to keep 'on topic'.

Hopefully this thread will be as long as the WDW Secrets thread! :)

Great topic! I have not been to Disneyland in over 30 years -- always do WDW. But I would love to have more Disneyland trivia so when I actually do go back to see it, I will be even more enlightened! :flower:

Mary Jo said:
Sleeping Beauty's Castle always reminded me more of the pAlcazar in Spain than Neuschwanstein (Noi schvahn stine), but I think I heard, too, that it was inspired by Newschwanstein.

Here are a couple of other threads with Disneyland Secrets:

Hidden DL Facts and Secrets

Disneyland Tips

More Disneyland Faqs & Other Info

Is that how Neuschwanstein is pronounced?? I'm pretty sure it is pronounced the other way, because I have a teacher that lived in Germany for five years and can speak German very fluently. Maybe she's wrong. Where did you hear it was pronounced like that?

I was in Germany with a German family & that is how they pronounced it. We didn't go there, but we did go to Linderhof & Herrenchiemsee -- and they were very cool to see.

But, my friends are from the north, and maybe your teacher was in a different part of the country -- they do pronounce words different - like Ich and Isch (depending whether you're from the north or south, etc)

My friends (the younger ones) used to like to make me pronounce the words until I got them right, or at least til I got them the way they pronounce them. They used to love to make me say Lübeck (Luebeck) since we don't have that ue sound in English ... oh well, good times. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter