Disneyland Solo Trip Recommendations!

AlyPaly97

Earning My Ears
I recently had a fairly horrible breakup which resulted in a cancelled WDW trip, but I'm now planning my first solo Disneyland trip instead!!

So far I've just booked flights (arriving 11/07 in the evening and leaving 16/07 in the evening), so affordable hotel recommendations would be appreciated, as would any tips for things I can do to make this trip extra special for myself!

Here you go!
Since you are a WDW vet, these threads will have very helpful information for you:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic and a must read for you!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- so many helpful threads found here!
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- at DLR, it isn't about on site or off site (both have pros and cons) -- it's all about location and being close walking distance to the gates -- and both on and off site can accomplish this! There are many good, less expensive places to stay on Harbor that are right across from the park entrance and just minutes from the park gates! And totally safe for a solo traveler! Ask any hotel questions in that thread!
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- DLR has MP (which WDW vets love!) and free legacy FP -- ask any MP/FP questions here!
"Comparing DLR's MaxPass to WDW's FastPass+" - https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/
"World of Color Superthread" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=37986447 -- a wonderful show and totally unique to DCA -- study the first post and ask all questions in that thread! Treat yourself to the WOC Dessert Party! Dining reservations open 60 days out at DLR.
Fantasmic Dining Reserved Seating Question -- F! originated at DL and most WDW vets agree that DL has the better show (while WDW has the better seating!) -- BB's dining package comes with a souvenir seat cushion and lets you eat inside the POTC bayou (fun!) -- HB's package is the most economical -- all regular dining packages (HB, BB, RBT) have ground seating right up by the water with the best views. There is a RBT Premium Package that has chairs, but the view is not so great. If you can sit on the ground, the other packages are worth it! Try the BB package -- we love that one!
"Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by @3TinksAndAnEeyorewww.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297 -- any questions on how to get to DLR from the airport? Ask here!
New SWGE Superthread! Now Open to All! (6/24/2019) -- ask all SWGE questions here!
Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-3* -- if you'll be wanting to ride ROTR, keep up with this thread! Ask all questions here!
Do you like fine dining? Napa Rose has dinner at the Chef's Counter -- that might be fun for you! Call the restaurant directly to reserve this. NR also has a very fancy Princess Breakfast -- you might like that!
Steakhouse 55 has Afternoon Tea -- this is a hard reservation to get, so book at 60 days if you want it! Breakfast and dinner at S55 are fun, too!
Any other questions? Feel free to ask!

I do solo trips fairly often (1-3 times a year for the last 8 years)...

I generally stay at Desert Inn and Suites. Cheap ($150ish), close (2nd hotel from the crosswalk at the pedestrian entrance), and clean. I've stayed further away, but I appreciate the short walk at the end of the day.

Solo trips give you the maximum in flexibility. You set the plan and the pace, and you can switch it up based on your mood and the circumstances. Beyond that, the biggest difference in going solo is the option of using Single Rider lines for some of the attractions.

I didn’t go solo, but when I went in 2018 with 1 other person we stayed at Camelot Inn and Suites. Really close, front desk staff was wonderful, pool had a really nice view of the fireworks. I don’t remember the price range tho so it might not be feasible for a solo trip.

Take advantage of max pass (DEF worth the extra $10/day) and single rider lines to minimize wait times. Solo trips are great—I’ve done it in WDW and had an amazing time! Let yourself take a moment and just soak it all up. Nobody’s there to rush you! :)

... Take advantage of max pass (DEF worth the extra $10/day) and single rider lines to minimize wait times...
MP is now $20/day per person -- Price increase -- It's Here! (2/11/20) -- and still worth it to most people! And SR lines can really help, too (Best Single Riders Lines).

OP: for discount tickets with and without MP, see LMTC Disneyland tickets no longer available?/UPDATE: Now Available by Phone!, and other vendors mentioned in that thread, e.g. UT, GAT, aRes, etc. If the vendors are recommended on this board, they are legit.

Do you like "Frozen"? There is a very good Frozen show at the Hyperion Theater in DCA and a special meal that goes with it (priority seating) at CCR. You might enjoy that!

Last edited:

For solo, I'd stay as close as possible. There won't be anything too inexpensive, though. If you don't mind walking a mile or taking a shuttle, most of the Hilton brands in Garden Grove have breakfast included.

Next month, I will be staying in a new place, Cambria Inn and Suites. It has really good reviews and the rates are really low for a suite and has a large included breakfast (even with Mickey waffles). I actually wouldn't be comfortable walking that way solo late at night. At least I think I wouldn't, but an Uber/Lyft ride will only be $5.

I'm thinking of staying at the Fairfield Inn - it's close enough that I think I'd be comfortable walking back alone at night, and it was one of the cheaper ones I could find that close (£850 for 5 nights)
For solo, I'd stay as close as possible. There won't be anything too inexpensive, though. If you don't mind walking a mile or taking a shuttle, most of the Hilton brands in Garden Grove have breakfast included.

Next month, I will be staying in a new place, Cambria Inn and Suites. It has really good reviews and the rates are really low for a suite and has a large included breakfast (even with Mickey waffles). I actually wouldn't be comfortable walking that way solo late at night. At least I think I wouldn't, but an Uber/Lyft ride will only be $5.

I'm thinking of staying at the Fairfield Inn - it's close enough that I think I'd be comfortable walking back alone at night, and it was one of the cheaper ones I could find that close (£850 for 5 nights)
The FFI is a popular choice on this board and gets good reviews. Are you a Marriott Bonvoy member? If not, sign up so that you'll get points for your stay. Reward points come in very handy as they add up, e.g. upgrades, free nights.

The FFI is a popular choice on this board and gets good reviews. Are you a Marriott Bonvoy member? If not, sign up so that you'll get points for your stay. Reward points come in very handy as they add up, e.g. upgrades, free nights.
I am! And I managed to get the room even cheaper than I was expecting with their best rate guarantee!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter