Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Soooo, the first time I come and browse this thread for info on my POR stay and there's chat about bed bugs o_O

I know it's a possibility wherever you stay :)

Anyway, the resort looks beautiful and cannot wait to stay :goodvibes Just slightly concerned about the bus situ, we will have a car but plan on using the buses. Any advice on when we may be better off using the car?

Soooo, the first time I come and browse this thread for info on my POR stay and there's chat about bed bugs o_O

Anyway, the resort looks beautiful and cannot wait to stay :goodvibes Just slightly concerned about the bus situ, we will have a car but plan on using the buses. Any advice on when we may be better off using the car?

We only use a car, our own or Uber/taxi, when going from resort to resort for ADRs. Everything else, we prefer the buses.

To be fair, I'm the one who brought up bed bugs, and it was actually in a good way for the resort since they switched to all white bedding, which offers better protection against bed bugs! lol

If one of the children is under 3 years old then yes you can do it. But otherwise the maximum occupancy level for non-infants (i.e. persons aged 3+) in a King Bed room at POR is three people.

Andre

Thanks! That's what I thought, so I was confused about why the WDW site was offering me a King Bed room for a party of 4 with no kids under 3....guess it's the booking system woes acting up. Many thanks!

I think the only time you would need a car to the parks is if you were running late. We took an uber one day when we only had 30 mins to get to a FP and ADR at AK and it worked great.

Like others mentioned going to other resorts would be tricky by bus so a car would be good then too.

We just got back from our 1st stay at POR Riverside, and I truly loved every minute spent at the resort! Seriously :cloud9: (Sorry in advance for such a long review. So many good things to say!)

I was a skeptic when we switched our stay from CBR due to the construction project, but it was a Disney blessing in disguise :littleangel: As soon as we arrived (in the pouring rain), I knew I was in love. I was a fan before falling asleep our 1st night.

We were in the Preferred section, building 27 room 2740. I loved the location and will request that exact room next year. It was second story and just around (literally lol) the corner from a very short breeze way to the stairs leading down to the river path :love: While further from the main area and South Depot than the other Preferred buildings (I think?), it was simply perfect! The walk was still super short (to us) while keeping us further away from the noise and traffic of the food court.

I spent hours in the mornings and late night wandering the lake path, sitting on benches/ledges/rocking chairs staring at the river and beautiful scenery. I just adore the main area late at night when it's all lit up. It takes my imagination to a tiny Louisiana river town from the 1800's :goodvibes Disney is so on point with its theming.

I loved the rustic room decor. We live in TN close to the mountains. From pictures, I was afraid the rustic theming would remind me too much of Gatlinburg. But again, Disney is so on point in distinguishing the rustic details.

While it was booked to capacity, it never felt crowded (except the food court when it rained). Due to the size, we'll always book Preferred. At other resorts (even the sprawling CBR), we've never felt that was necessary.

We loved River Roost and Yeehaw Bob. We loved the boats to Disney Springs and back. And of course I adored the scenery and atmosphere. It truly feels like a destination resort, with the parks as a bonus. Next year, I'm cutting our park time down considerably to enjoy the resort more. We didn't try the TS, but we will next time. Heck, I even now want to try the fishing hole (I'm 39 and never fished in my life :laughing:)

The only negative we found was the buses leaving the parks (going to them they were great). Our running joke was we didn't need to know the depot number. All we had to do was spot the longest line of people waiting :rotfl: The buses were few and far between. Confused on that, bc we only had to stop at the FQ side two nights :confused3 (And one of them, nobody even got off at FQ o_O). We spent more time waiting on buses and having to stand than any other trip (Again, only leaving the parks. Going was always perfect.)

I'm already looking forward to next year! :hyper:

I'm sorry to add the thought because no one likes to think it, but; bed bugs don't like white bedding, and it's easier to spot them and their traces if your bedding is all white... just think that may be one big reason, and Disney isn't likely to advertise it...
Yes, I was thinking this same thought. Also bed bugs could be on the runner and pillow that does not get washed whith each room change.

The only negative we found was the buses leaving the parks (going to them they were great). Our running joke was we didn't need to know the depot number. All we had to do was spot the longest line of people waiting :rotfl: The buses were few and far between. Confused on that, bc we only had to stop at the FQ side two nights :confused3 (And one of them, nobody even got off at FQ o_O). We spent more time waiting on buses and having to stand than any other trip (Again, only leaving the parks. Going was always perfect.)
Thanks for posting your review. We also love many things about this resort. I don't think we would go to any other moderate. But we also experienced the same problem with the buses leaving the parks at night. It was as if the entire resort decided to go to the same park we did and leave at the same time as we did.

As soon as anyone has a one-off bad experience it's easy to get worried, and the internet tends to melt down and decide the sky is falling. :) Seriously, don't let it worry you too much when one person has a problem - but it does remind us that in a resort the size of Port Orleans, sometimes things can slip through the cracks. Personally if so much was obviously wrong from the outset I think I would have asked to be moved to a different room, but the OP was short on time so decided it was acceptable for a few days. I'm glad they are reporting it though, as otherwise any problems won't get fixed. It's far better to report issues while you are there though, but I do understand that they didn't want to waste any of their Disney time on the matter. Suffice to say that their experience is not the norm.
Just wanted to report back and say we are here now and the resort is amazing! Gorgeous landscaping. No issues with buses but we have driven a couple of days. We have overheard others complaining on the buses about bus experiences. We are in Alligator Bayou and there is almost no space for us to unpack. The mill wheel appears to be broken! Our room is very clean and housekeeping is excellent. Love the bed frames. We are in building 17 and are very happy with the location. The boat to DS is always prompt and we have not waited more than 5 minutes for one. Any questions since I am here?

Thanks everyone for the advice.

To be honest I think we will use the car if we intend on coming 'home' late. Last trip we stayed at GF and that bus was busy when leaving parks later in the evening and the little ones got soooo tired and impatient.
Oh and maybe AK.
@Tia1977 great review this makes me even more excited to stay here :)

If the line at the depot for Riverside is long, and there's no one at the FQ depot, and you are staying on the south side of Riverside, so switch depots :D The walk from the FQ stop to Riverside is quiet, it's gorgeous, and you'll get back to your room quicker than waiting for the bus heading directly to Riverside!

Just wanted to report back and say we are here now and the resort is amazing! Gorgeous landscaping. No issues with buses but we have driven a couple of days. We have overheard others complaining on the buses about bus experiences. We are in Alligator Bayou and there is almost no space for us to unpack. The mill wheel appears to be broken! Our room is very clean and housekeeping is excellent. Love the bed frames. We are in building 17 and are very happy with the location. The boat to DS is always prompt and we have not waited more than 5 minutes for one. Any questions since I am here?
So glad you posted this! We booked an absolutely last minute trip for Friday to Monday at POR. We always stay deluxe, and I've been questioning our decision! I'm paranoid about the the cleanliness of the room and bed bugs. (I know, I sound neurotic.) Your live review just helped me relax!

We've stayed at POR several times. Sometimes I will drop in here just to see what people are talking about. It helps me feel "at home" and gets me excited for our next visit. Our first stay was for our honeymoon in 1992 when (then) Dixie Landings first opened, and this year we're heading back to celebrate our 25th anniversary! We had the opportunity to stay deluxe this time, but the family insisted on POR - it's our favorite!
@andrewilley , I wanted to say thank you for all the wonderful information you provide, both here and on your great website. Your time, energy and enthusiasm are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
So glad you posted this! We booked an absolutely last minute trip for Friday to Monday at POR. We always stay deluxe, and I've been questioning our decision! I'm paranoid about the the cleanliness of the room and bed bugs. (I know, I sound neurotic.) Your live review just helped me relax!
We stayed at Beach Club last year and honestly POR is just as great. In some ways it is better. You will have a great time.

We stayed at Beach Club last year and honestly POR is just as great. In some ways it is better. You will have a great time.
So relieved, thanks! Our last stay was Beach Club/AKL Kidani split. Glad you really like POR after staying at BC last visit. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter