Disney's YACHT & BEACH CLUB RESORTS Information & Questions

I have some very, very sad news to share.

Last week, my dear friend Rebecca (HockeymomR), passed away. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor shortly after returning from a family trip to the Beach Club in August 2016. Throughout all of her treatments, she was brave and strong and had a positive spirit. Her mantra was "Just Keep Swimming", and she always had a smile on her face, no matter what struggles she faced.

She was a frequent poster here on the Beach Club FAQ forum for more than a decade, always willing to provide helpful info, a picture and friendship to others.

She had many "Disney friends" who were an important part of her life and who will miss her immensely.

I was fortunate to share two trips to the Beach Club with her as one of her roommates. Our friendship extended beyond our mutual interest in Disney. We spent the past few months frequently talking about our day, sharing pictures, exchanging encouragement and love.

The world has lost a very kind soul.

While she was in hospice for her final days, I wrote a letter about our friendship and emailed it to Rebecca and her husband. I wanted to explain how much Rebecca means to me and why. It was healing for me to write about how our deep bond developed throughout the years.

I have added the tribute to Rebecca in the Orange Banded Monkey trip report. That is probably the best place for any remembrances or condolences you want to share.

:grouphug:

So sorry to hear this :sad1:

Last week, my dear friend Rebecca (HockeymomR), passed away. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor shortly after returning from a family trip to the Beach Club in August 2016. Throughout all of her treatments, she was brave and strong and had a positive spirit. Her mantra was "Just Keep Swimming", and she always had a smile on her face, no matter what struggles she faced.

She was a frequent poster here on the Beach Club FAQ forum for more than a decade, always willing to provide helpful info, a picture and friendship to others.

She had many "Disney friends" who were an important part of her life and who will miss her immensely.

I was fortunate to share two trips to the Beach Club with her as one of her roommates. Our friendship extended beyond our mutual interest in Disney. We spent the past few months frequently talking about our day, sharing pictures, exchanging encouragement and love.

While she was in hospice for her final days, I wrote a letter about our friendship and emailed it to Rebecca and her husband. I wanted to explain how much Rebecca means to me and why. It was healing for me to write about how our deep bond developed throughout the years.

I have added the tribute to Rebecca in the Orange Banded Monkey trip report. That is probably the best place for any remembrances or condolences you want to share.

I am so sorry for your loss. Rebecca will surely be missed! My prayers to all her friends and family

Hi Dee,

I'm so sorry for your loss ..I know we've all enjoyed her posts and friendship. My deepest sympathy to you and her family.
Also, I wanted to share an email I just received from the Yacht Club -have been meaning to send you an update for the Be our Guest list-we switched over to the Yacht Club :)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 65
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 56
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 56
I'm sad to see that the breakfast buffet will not be served in the temporary Captain's Grille. I hope it is completed with the buffet back in place by November/December when we are there.

I'm sad to see that the breakfast buffet will not be served in the temporary Captain's Grille. I hope it is completed with the buffet back in place by November/December when we are there.
With so many changes in the works, don't be surprised if the buffet is permanently dropped from the Captain's Grille.

Good morning, all. First and most importantly, my sincerest condolences to Rebecca's family and friends. No loss is easy, but the untimely ones particularly hurt. Sending some prayers and good wishes your way, Dee.

In other news, it occurred to me yesterday that since our next two trips are only 11 months apart, it may be less expensive to buy AP's rather than park passes for each trip. A quick call confirmed that fact, so now I have the most delightful dilemma!

Since we'll have AP's starting in December, that may be the perfect excuse to plan a little visit for the spring, in between our two longer trips. :cheer2:

Based on school and work schedules, I'm looking at either March 9-13 or May 4-8. Does anyone have experience with those dates? Crowds, weather, etc.

Since we'll have AP's starting in December, that may be the perfect excuse to plan a little visit for the spring, in between our two longer trips. :cheer2:

Based on school and work schedules, I'm looking at either March 9-13 or May 4-8. Does anyone have experience with those dates? Crowds, weather, etc.

It is very easy to plan extra trips with an annual pass. And Disney makes it easier by offering discounts. ;)

I know that May will be hotter than March. You would hit some spring break crowds in March but the bulk of the spring break season will be a little later. We've had some beautiful weather in March. :)

In March, Spring Training Baseball games are going on too! We always go the time frame you're looking at in March and enjoy it. The weather is iffy, sometimes cold sometimes hot; but I love that time of year! We are planning on going again next year during that time and taking in a few Braves games since it's supposed to be their last year spring training at Disney.

So, the week that was. I didn't get the pictures I'd planned because, frankly, it was just a really weird time between coordinating around Pandora and all. the. rain. I did, however, get pictures of the view from 5170, which is next door to the lounge and, funnily enough, the same room we had two years ago.

The good: We weren't greeted curbside, but the "captain" in the lobby whisked us right upstairs when I told him we were CL. DS was rather dazzled by that. The room itself was gorgeous. We had two queens, the day bed / couch, and a shower. I've got lower back arthritis, and I wound up asking the CMs at the desk about the mattress brand because, for me, it was THAT comfortable. There were several CMs who were there two years ago as well, and they actually remembered us! They were very attentive, extremely helpful. The lounge is definitely more spacious and comfortable than it was on our last trip. The view for a Standard View is my favorite, and on the second to last night I discovered I had a surprisingly good view of HEA.

The not-so-good: the reason I found out about HEA was the fact that the lounge balcony is next to 5170's and there was a large family on it discussing said fireworks loudly and at length. Bottom line, the room was far FAR noisier than I remembered. Between the service area across the hall, the lounge itself next door, and the thin adjoining room door, it was not good. Fortunately, alex9179 and her family were also there, and they had spare ear plugs (I thought I'd brought some but was wrong). With those, I was fine, but for light sleepers or anyone who can't tolerate ear plugs, this is NOT the room for you.

The lounge food was solid, quite good, but frankly, repetitive. Several of the 5:00pm - 7:00pm hot dishes put in multiple appearances during our 7 night stay, and the late morning / afternoon offerings were exactly the same each day. It was always tasty, and the attendants kept the food fresh, tables clean, but more variety would have been nice. Something else that puzzled me was the fact that they had a moscato, a Riesling, and a Sauvignon Blanc but no chardonnay. The SB was fine, but not my wine of choice. That's a personal quibble, YMMV. The CMs were, it must be said, VERY quick to provide a drink at any time of day, and during the 8:00pm - 10:00pm dessert service, you could pour your own liqueurs.

The awesome: meeting alex9179 and her family. The kids got an afternoon at SAB while the grownups got to drink grownup drinks and have grownup conversation, not something that always happens at Disney. :D This actually repeated itself in the lounge a couple of times in the afternoons because RAIN. But it was an absolute delight hanging out with them and seeing DS make some terrific new friends.

Finally, the AC situation. For us, it just wasn't a problem. We left the thermostat on 68, the temperate was consistently comfortable, and the sensor was sensitive enough that if I rolled over during the night the air would kick right on. The kiddo actually wound up using the spare blanket on his bed. Again, YMMV, but I was pleased with the results.

I have no idea to what extent the lobby will be altered, but my personal feeling is that if they spent the money to refurb the globe, then decided its color scheme didn't fit what was planned, they've got something fairly major planned. I could be absolutely wrong, and I hope I am because I do love that lobby.

And that's it! Happy to answer any questions. :sail:

Right.jpg Left.jpg Forward.jpg

A quick thank you to everyone for your compassion and offers of sympathy. Rebecca's loss for me and also others involved in this thread is great. I appreciate everyone's kindness to her family, to me and to everyone else who has had the pleasure of knowing Rebecca through her helpful posts or from meetings during a trip.

I am very behind here on replying to posts here. Lots of reasons for that. I hope to start catching up in the next few days to make sure everyone is properly welcomed and that anyone with questions gets replies to the best of our ability here!

::yes::

I am Hopeing for it to be finished by my mid-Nov trip too

I received this same notice yesterday for our stay in September (20-28). With the rooms hopefully finished by this time whatever is happening in the other locations should have minimal impact - or at least I am hoping!

We are staying the 16th-22nd and haven't gotten anything yet...

So, the week that was. I didn't get the pictures I'd planned because, frankly, it was just a really weird time between coordinating around Pandora and all. the. rain. I did, however, get pictures of the view from 5170, which is next door to the lounge and, funnily enough, the same room we had two years ago.

The good: We weren't greeted curbside, but the "captain" in the lobby whisked us right upstairs when I told him we were CL. DS was rather dazzled by that. The room itself was gorgeous. We had two queens, the day bed / couch, and a shower. I've got lower back arthritis, and I wound up asking the CMs at the desk about the mattress brand because, for me, it was THAT comfortable. There were several CMs who were there two years ago as well, and they actually remembered us! They were very attentive, extremely helpful. The lounge is definitely more spacious and comfortable than it was on our last trip. The view for a Standard View is my favorite, and on the second to last night I discovered I had a surprisingly good view of HEA.

The not-so-good: the reason I found out about HEA was the fact that the lounge balcony is next to 5170's and there was a large family on it discussing said fireworks loudly and at length. Bottom line, the room was far FAR noisier than I remembered. Between the service area across the hall, the lounge itself next door, and the thin adjoining room door, it was not good. Fortunately, alex9179 and her family were also there, and they had spare ear plugs (I thought I'd brought some but was wrong). With those, I was fine, but for light sleepers or anyone who can't tolerate ear plugs, this is NOT the room for you.

The lounge food was solid, quite good, but frankly, repetitive. Several of the 5:00pm - 7:00pm hot dishes put in multiple appearances during our 7 night stay, and the late morning / afternoon offerings were exactly the same each day. It was always tasty, and the attendants kept the food fresh, tables clean, but more variety would have been nice. Something else that puzzled me was the fact that they had a moscato, a Riesling, and a Sauvignon Blanc but no chardonnay. The SB was fine, but not my wine of choice. That's a personal quibble, YMMV. The CMs were, it must be said, VERY quick to provide a drink at any time of day, and during the 8:00pm - 10:00pm dessert service, you could pour your own liqueurs.

The awesome: meeting alex9179 and her family. The kids got an afternoon at SAB while the grownups got to drink grownup drinks and have grownup conversation, not something that always happens at Disney. :D This actually repeated itself in the lounge a couple of times in the afternoons because RAIN. But it was an absolute delight hanging out with them and seeing DS make some terrific new friends.

Finally, the AC situation. For us, it just wasn't a problem. We left the thermostat on 68, the temperate was consistently comfortable, and the sensor was sensitive enough that if I rolled over during the night the air would kick right on. The kiddo actually wound up using the spare blanket on his bed. Again, YMMV, but I was pleased with the results.

I have no idea to what extent the lobby will be altered, but my personal feeling is that if they spent the money to refurb the globe, then decided its color scheme didn't fit what was planned, they've got something fairly major planned. I could be absolutely wrong, and I hope I am because I do love that lobby.

And that's it! Happy to answer any questions. :sail:

View attachment 244221 View attachment 244222 View attachment 244223

Great review! Thanks for sharing! Can you please tell us some of the evening hot apps? Thanks!!!

A quick thank you to everyone for your compassion and offers of sympathy. Rebecca's loss for me and also others involved in this thread is great. I appreciate everyone's kindness to her family, to me and to everyone else who has had the pleasure of knowing Rebecca through her helpful posts or from meetings during a trip.

I am very behind here on replying to posts here. Lots of reasons for that. I hope to start catching up in the next few days to make sure everyone is properly welcomed and that anyone with questions gets replies to the best of our ability here!

::yes::

So sorry about the loss of your friend. My prayers are with you.

I'm so sorry. May God bless your friend's soul.

I'm so sorry to hear about Rebecca, our condolences to you Dee and to all her family and friends. Her sense of humour and love of life will keep inspiring us all here on this forum. She had a way of accepting everyone and offering friendship and advice with a good dose of good fun in the mix too. :grouphug:

Same here! Looks like we're checking in the same day. BC is the second part of our almost-2 week stay (I got 13 nights out of DH but for some reason he just couldn't go a full two weeks :rolleyes: :confused3)

We are arriving super early - our 5:44am flight should have us at BC around 9am for check-in! I know our room will not be ready - we are used to that - our plans are to get a little snack from the Marketplace and then head to MK for a while! :-) DD6 requested our first ride be Peter Pan's Flight - I love that after so many trips she can just tell us what she really wants to do and make our vacation her own! I am surprised to have gotten DH to agree to the 2 full weeks - but I guess I didn't really give him much of a choice either! LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter