DisneyWorld with a Profoundly Developmentally Disabled Adult?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troy,

Your posts and the replies from the great people on these boards has once again brought tears to my eyes.
If you're going to be there the first of THIS December, I hope to run into you and your brother and give you a big hug for this wonderful thing you are doing for Billy. I'll be there Dec. 4-11.

Donna

YES!!! The IV is out today! Billy's appetite is improving (he ate eggs today!) and he is alot more like himself, just a bit more clingy than normal but that is probably the steroids. He will be on steroids in Disney I think. But hey we will deal with that... Just lots of hugs that's all.

I don't understand how I missed it but I never put the dates up on here. We will be in Disney from December 12th to the 17th. I wanted the first week in December but there was no availability. I also wanted to avoid the weekend if possible. We may extend to the 19th if there is availability at that time and Billy is up to it and enjoying himself. After all I am not sure we will be able to go on another trip when this is done so want to make the best of this one.

I really want to thank all of you for your help and support with this!

Thank you so much.

Troy

Troy3357 said:
I don't understand how I missed it but I never put the dates up on here. We will be in Disney from December 12th to the 17th. I wanted the first week in December but there was no availability. I also wanted to avoid the weekend if possible. We may extend to the 19th if there is availability at that time and Billy is up to it and enjoying himself. After all I am not sure we will be able to go on another trip when this is done so want to make the best of this one.

I really want to thank all of you for your help and support with this!

Thank you so much.

Troy
You should miss the crowds, so that should be a good time.

Troy which night are you going to MVMCP? There are several of us going the night of Dec 15.
16th we will probably go to Candlelight Processional but not do the dinner package

Troy,
My mother and I will be there December 7th to December 14th. She will be the tiny silver haired lady in the bright blue wheelchair. :paw: Best of luck for Billy's continued recovery and your trip.

YEAH! So happy to hear the good news about the IV. Sounds like Billy is back on the road to feeling better. I can't remember what Meds David was on on our last trip but make sure you lather on the sunscreen (EVEN IN DEC.) I know some of the meds made him burn really easily! YEAH!

Talking Hands said:
Troy which night are you going to MVMCP? There are several of us going the night of Dec 15.
16th we will probably go to Candlelight Processional but not do the dinner package

Yeah! We'd love you meet you guys! I have a little girl with several disabilities that TalkingHands is "Nana" to!!! My bday is the 14th, so we are celebrating that weekend (15-18) and one of the gals from this board (DCLFun) Kathy is singing in the CP that night (I think) we are going to aim for the 6:45 shoe I think :) I love that you are doing this for Billy, Disney has been pure magic for my little girl and family.

michellex2 said:
Troy,
My mother and I will be there December 7th to December 14th. She will be the tiny silver haired lady in the bright blue wheelchair. :paw: Best of luck for Billy's continued recovery and your trip.

We'll be in the parks the 8th and 9th, if you see us, say hi! We are a family of three, dad is big and has a beard (dark hair) I am in a silver scooter and MJ is ion her hot pink wheelchair!

MommytoMJM said:
Yeah! We'd love you meet you guys! I have a little girl with several disabilities that TalkingHands is "Nana" to!!! My bday is the 14th, so we are celebrating that weekend (15-18) and one of the gals from this board (DCLFun) Kathy is singing in the CP that night (I think) we are going to aim for the 6:45 shoe I think :) I love that you are doing this for Billy, Disney has been pure magic for my little girl and family.

I'm sorry I took so long to respond, I just have been trying to get everything arranged and get as much work out of the way as possible.

I would enjoy meeting some of the folks that have been so helpful! I am a bit reluctant only for the fact that Billy is shy around strangers though. I am not sure how he would do in a group. It's worth a shot though, worst thing that would happen is that we would meet and then split. It would be great to be able to talk with some folks that have children with special needs as you would know what is happening.

One of the biggest barriers to going out is the nasty comments. You have to bear with me as I was around with Billy most of his life, but up until the last 3 years I had not been out with him. My mom took him everywhere he needed to go. I am not ashamed of him, I would just tell folks where to go (and not very nicely)...:mad: but when folks get nasty because they think a 30 something year old has no business with a bottle or pacifier no matter what their disability, it scares him and makes him upset. If I get angry then he gets even more upset.

I thought about putting a surgical mask on him but changed my mind. At first because it would cause him to rebreathe a certain amount of his CO2. This would cause the pressure in his head to go up and that would cause problems with the tumor I think. But the more I thought about it, the more I was concerned about the fact he wouldn't like it and this entire trip is about making him happy. I just wish everyone would understand. I thought about making a bunch of shirts that say "I know I look like an adult but I am really just a toddler inside so please treat me as one".

Anyway, please forgive my rambling. I just get really angry and frustrated at the lack of understanding of some people at times and this became an issue this last weekend when I took him to the park on Saturday. A rather rude woman just went off on me because I allowed Billy to have his pacifier.

We as adults could learn so much from kids. A little girl of 5 or 6 came over on Saturday and asked Billy why he was drinking a bottle. I explained that while his body grew up his insides stayed a baby. She just said "oh" and preceeded to play with him. Her mom was really nice and we sat and chatted while they played.

Well I have ranted long enough.

Troy

That last part was so sweet about the little girl. I love the innocence of little children.

Troy, I just had a friend over who has 4 typical children, MJ was, well, MJ and we had to keep explaining to the kids that even tho she looked big like them on the inside she is still little and doesn't understand.

She (and I) would love to meet you and Billy. She is inherently understnading of other people with diabilities and I have been around disabled people all my life, nothing will shock or horrify us, I promise.

Nana is awesome too, she teaches disabled kids and has been nothing but AMAZING to MJ and I and is now an integral part of our lives.

We have pften set up meets and then had to leave because MJ wasn't coping well, we also have to follow the "MJ touring plan" if we are with people for extended periods of time. I often find myself apologizing for this (a habit Nana is trying to break me of) If you want to give it a try, let us know and we'll figure it out!

HUGS, I know how very hard it can be.

Troy, I have absolutely no problems with Billy using a pacifier or a bottle. He needs it for whatever reason, physical or emotional. It doesn't matter. You'll not be getting nasty comments from or my family. People who make nasty remarks are uninformed and have never had to be around someone with disabilities. Ignore the comments and enjoy your time with your brother. The both of you are welcome to join us anytime.
Hugs to you.

Honestly, if I were touring the part and saw an adult in a w/c with a bottle or pacifer, I would think it was sweet, not disturbing. But maybe that's because like so many on this board I've been around differently abled people most of my life.
I've been lurking on this thread for a bit and am I so glad you are doing this for your brother. I've been to Disney with my uncle who has Down Syndrome and it is like going with a child- you see the World through their eyes and it is never the same again.

Talking Hands said:
Troy, I have absolutely no problems with Billy using a pacifier or a bottle. He needs it for whatever reason, physical or emotional. It doesn't matter. You'll not be getting nasty comments from or my family. People who make nasty remarks are uninformed and have never had to be around someone with disabilities. Ignore the comments and enjoy your time with your brother. The both of you are welcome to join us anytime.
Hugs to you.

Please forgive me if I led you to believe that I was concerned that you or any of the nice folks here would make nasty comments :earseek: . That was not it at all. My concern was that you may hear an ignorant person being just that...ignorant. I would enjoy at least getting together to meet and if Billy is cooperative then spending some time together.

Again, please forgive me if I didn't express myself well enough.

Troy

Troy,
I wish that I was able to read these boards more often. I would have been able to help you with your brother if you would have been going the same days I am going. I own a business where we take special needs adults on trips all over the US and neighboring countries. I happen to be going with a group of 23 to WDW 12/9-12/14 so maybe we will run into each other. We are staying in the handicapped accessible cabins at Fort Wildereness. I will be wearing my Eeyore ears and most of my travelers will be wearing pin trading lanyards.

Don't worry about the rude people. We always have people stare at us...we just stare back!!! The worst problem we have is the rude people who think they can jump over the feet of our travelers in wheelchairs. I can't believe the nerve of some people.

I know you said your brother can only stand for a few seconds so I don't know if he is able to have his diaper changed without lying down...but if he is able to then make sure the aide takes advantage of the companion bathrooms. They are much bigger than a handicapped stall and there is plenty of room to help someone who uses a wheelchair.

If you decide to park hop... most busses are wheelchair accessible. They will load your brother and the rest of your party first. You just have to stand in front of the queue and near where the back of the bus will stop. Most drivers are very helpful...the only thing is you must ride on the lift with him or already be on the bus as the driver will not move him off the lift.

Make sure you let the hotel know that you need a refrigerator for medical purposes and they usually will not charge you for it.

I hope you and your brother have a great time!!!!

Mary

Troy3357 said:
Please forgive me if I led you to believe that I was concerned that you or any of the nice folks here would make nasty comments :earseek: . That was not it at all. My concern was that you may hear an ignorant person being just that...ignorant. I would enjoy at least getting together to meet and if Billy is cooperative then spending some time together.

Again, please forgive me if I didn't express myself well enough.

Troy
Don't worry I don't really hear that well but my husband has heard them and related them to me. We ignore them. Like the bozo who started screaming at me because I would not load the bus in an unsafe manner for my power chair and insisted that a manager be called. I was called all manner of foul names. I now have a letter from Disney stating that the driver is to follow my instructions on loading me. Thought the air would turn blue that day.

My advice is ignore the rude people. If they stare, stare back. If they make a comment about the pacifier or the bottle, look at them and pop one into your own mouth and stare, stare, stare. People stare at DS all the time. My oldest DD says things like " Get a good look, we get to look and see how cute his is all the time". I have told this story here before. Once we were at the dentist for David. David was rokcing and making his "happy sounds" there was a little boy sitting near us and he was looking (little ones look and I smile.....they are just curious) Well, he said something like "What's wrong with him " to his Mom. She "Shushed" him. He kept asking. I finally gave the smile and the David was born with a "boo Boo" in his head " speech. He just looked at me and said "no, not that what's wrong with him, doesnt he know he is at the DENTIST!" He was shocked that anyone would be happy!! :) Sooo cute.

Remember with the bad there is good. There are good people out there. Please don't forget about them. They are there but they are usually the "quiet" people who smile and nod. They are the people who just take a step back as you pass so you can fit more comfortable. They are the people who stop to pick up the "chewie" that DS has dropped. They are the ones who nod and wink as you push the chair through. They tear and smile right along with you as your DS (or brother) smiles at Mickey. They open doors, they step back to make room on the parade route, they talk to DS not about DE.They are there.....they are just quiet. Last year someone bought DS a Mickey balloon because they saw him laughing as they all blew in the breeze (I didnt tell them he has one back at the hotel :) ) I just smiled (and cried ) as they handed it to him and said, "H"ere you go little man...enjoy. They are there. The wonderful , compassionate, caring people. You just have to take a step back and look for them.

Have a great time!!!

Luvmyeor...you sound like a great person. God bless you for taking those wonderful trips!! I wish you were in NY!!!

Troy3357 said:
One of the biggest barriers to going out is the nasty comments. You have to bear with me as I was around with Billy most of his life, but up until the last 3 years I had not been out with him. My mom took him everywhere he needed to go. I am not ashamed of him, I would just tell folks where to go (and not very nicely)...:mad: but when folks get nasty because they think a 30 something year old has no business with a bottle or pacifier no matter what their disability, it scares him and makes him upset. If I get angry then he gets even more upset.

Troy

Hi :wave2:

I found this thread yesterday and was completely touched by everything and everyone on this thread. I have not been able to stop thinking about all that I have read here since yesterday.

Troy--you are an INCREDIBLE brother. You are a true testament and honor to your beloved mother.

I am the half-sister to a mentally challenged adult "boy". While he doesn't have nearly the problems that you and many others here have to experience, he is totally dependant on my parents for his care, and one day that responsibility will pass to me. While I worry about that day, mostly for his sake, it is a responsibility that I have been prepared for since I was a child, and I take it on quite willingly.

I am also a former teacher, special ed aide, and the mother to 2 wonderful homeschooled girls. As a homeschooling parent I am also often on the receiving end of much unsolicited "advice" about how I am chosing to raise my children. I am in NO WAY trying to compare the seriousness of what I experience to what you have to put up with, but I want to share some specific stratagies that I hope can help you.

I spent a lot of my childhood defending my brother to others. I was asked the rude questions, saw the funny looks, and defended him against teasing. I know how frustrating it is and how angry it can make you. BUT, you know that your temperment affects your brother, and he is your number 1 priority. For his sake you need to find some less confrontational ways to difuse the situations.

You have ABSOLUTELY not need to discuss, defend or justify your brother's upbringing, personal habits, or situation to ANYONE--and certainly not a totaly stranger!

The first thing you need to do is take a deep breath. Then you need to find your biggest, most cheerful smile. :teeth: (in Disney that isn't hard!) If someone speaks to you directly in a negative way, you need a response that clearly sets a boundary and lets them know you will not be discussing this. I suggest something like:

:teeth: "I appreciate (understand) your concern, but I prefer not to discuss my personal family business with strangers."

:teeth: "I understand your concern, but Billy has excellent medical care and I only discuss him with his doctors."

:teeth: "I appreciate your concern, but I have made my choice on how to raise Billy based on his unique needs and there is no need for debate."

You HAVE to say this with a huge, caring smile and light tone. That way Billy won't get agitated. You also let the other person know you are not going to be rude and sucked into a debate or defense of him.

After you say this you have 3 choices.
1. physically remove yourself from the situation by walking away.

2. Make it obvious you will ignore them by turning your back and talking to Billy or the aide (but not about the comments just made!), or someone else around.

3. If you are "stuck" with this person in line or at a parade and think you need to continue a conversation IMMEDIATELY change the subject after making the comment above.

:teeth: " I would love to hear about your day here. What rides have you been on so far?"

or, since they obviously LOVE to share their opinions:
:teeth: " I would like to know where you recommend you we might go for lunch?"

(remember to keep that big smile and cheerful tone at all times!)

Often that will change the conversation (people love to talk about themselves and now you are asking for their opinion!).

If they continue to make comments (but not directly to you) after you have turned away then you will just have to ignore it. From how you have described your Brother he probably won't notice/understand them, and he will take your cue from your behavior. And if you keep him distracted he will hopefully be fine.

IF they continue to be rude TO YOU and offer advice/comments then you may need to go another level--but you need to continue to have that big smile!

:teeth: "WOW! I didn't realize that you have raised a child with (insert some big words to describe Billy's condition) also!"

Most likely you will get "Well, no but. ." at which point you cut them off (still cheerful and smiling) with :teeth: "Oh, then you have no experience with the joys and hardships of raising a severely handicapped child and really are not in a position to offer advice. Again, I understand your concerns, but do not discuss personal issues with strangers."

IF they try to answer "yes" (and no parent who has EVER been in that postion ever would, because they know better than to offer advice like that!) it will probably be something like "well, my sister's child has XXX condition" or "my child was ADD and I never. . ." at which point you go right back to the above. OR you can get really excited and begin to engage them in a long in depth, technical discussion (since they just told you have been in the EXACT same situation) of some of the issues (but not the pacifier and bottle). :chat: I suggest you start with medical tests or diapers! :teeth: "What brand did you use? We prefer XX because of less leakage etc..." Basically, the "gross out" factor! You have still changed the subject from what they wanted to lecture you about, and I guarantee they will lose interest and move on pretty quick!

I really can't stress enough that you have to remain upbeat and cheerful. Billy will take his cue from you. Also, that signals to the "offender" that you are not going to be sucked into a debate.

As for those that stare. I have to admit to sometimes being one that stares, especially at Disneyworld. Why? Because I love to see the joy on people's faces. From how you have described Billy I am guessing that I would probably really enjoy seeing the joy and awe on his face. Please don't assume that all those who stare are doing it to be rude, or are thinking terrible things. Unfortunatly, as a parent or sibling of a special person, you have to develop thick skin along with all the other adaptations you must make in your life.

You CAN NOT change others, you don't have the time, energy or need to educate every single person about your situation. I must respectfully disagree with the idea that the answer is to stare or make a rude comment back. As advocates for our special loved ones I think we "kill more flies with honey than vinegar". I think being rude back just "confirms" to those offenders that special children are weird and different and their families are nasty and bitter and therefore are in need of their advice and opinions.

I will be praying for you and Billy. I hope you have an incredible time! I would LOVE to see photos when you get back. Especially when he meets Pooh Bear in person for the first time! Please keep us updated.

:grouphug: :wizard: :flower:

Last year someone bought DS a Mickey balloon because they saw him laughing as they all blew in the breeze (I didnt tell them he has one back at the hotel ) I just smiled (and cried ) as they handed it to him and said, "H"ere you go little man...enjoy.-awww D,L and K's Mom that is so sweet it brought tears to my eyes!!

Troy ignore them-they are just idiots who havent got a clue!!i hope you both have a fantastic time and i would love to see a photo of BIlly with pooh bear!! :D

and get him a t-shirt that says "go on stare-im so cute you cant help it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter