DLP guide book?

Kitty-chan

Cheese is always the answer
I've looked on amazon.com for guide books, but didn't find much. The most promising was the Unofficial Guide, but then the reviews turned me off (sounds like the author copied/pasted stuff out of his WDW and/or DL/A books even when it didn't make sense). Any suggestions?

Well, I have the unofficial guide, and I have to agree....its info. is very dated. I recommend using the internet and the boards. I've been to DLP twice, feel free to ask away....

How about the one written by Simon Venesse (I think that's how you spell it!) I haven't actually read the book but he's one of the moderators on this site and so it should be brilliant. Also try www.dlp-guidebook (I think! I'll try it and repost if that's not the actuall address!)

A Brit's Guide to Disneyland Resort Paris - don't be put off by the title, it's suitable for anyone from anywhere. I have every DLRP book that I've ever been able to find and for a guidebook nothing comes close to this. All the information you could ever want and even sample trip planners too! It's alo great to read in between trips to stop you missing the place too much, errr, so I've heard :rolleyes1

I heartily agree about the Brit's Guide. I wished I'd known about it when I took my first trip I would have got so much more out of the visit. I discovered it quite by chance and found it very informative. Definitely worth a look

Yep, I too would recommend the Brit's Guide. It's always been brilliant the few editions we've bought it!

I've got the Brit's Guide and the Unofficial Guide. They are both good and full of information. I find the Unofficial one a bit too objective (which is no doubt a good thing really!!!) whereas Simon's is warmer towards the parks.

I definitely recommend "A Brit's Guide..." and wouldn't consider anything else. :)

*Pokes Simon to write the next edition... if he's even about!*

I've both Brits and unofficial, but agree Brits guide is a richer read and recommended.
If your looking for child's perspective my 7year old DD recommends the recently acquired Knapsack guide.

Reid

Thanks for all the advice! I'm gonna stop by Shakespeare and Co when I get to Paris and pick up the Brit's Guide. :earsgirl:

Dee8197 said:
It may be better to purchase it before you get to Paris. You can read it beforehand and get to know the parks and build up to the holiday. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
The book is available on the net
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0572029497/qid=1119702169/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-3102545-6936456
To tell you the truth, I'm a little daunted by the overseas shipping -- it's about £15 ($28), including shipping it here to the US, and I can't quite bring myself to spend that much on a small guidebook. And Amazon US doesn't stock it. So I'm gonna watch for copies on ebay in the US, and figure Shakespeare and Co is my fallback position. I'll be in Paris for a few days before heading to DLP, so this will give me something to read when I'm lounging over crepes in the street cafes. :earsboy:

To tell you the truth, I'm a little daunted by the overseas shipping -- it's about £15 ($28), including shipping it here to the US, and I can't quite bring myself to spend that much on a small guidebook. And Amazon US doesn't stock it. So I'm gonna watch for copies on ebay in the US, and figure Shakespeare and Co is my fallback position. I'll be in Paris for a few days before heading to DLP, so this will give me something to read when I'm lounging over crepes in the street cafes

Good grief !:eek:
In that case buy it in Paris::MickeyMo

Hi Kitty - chan and welcome to the Dis :)

I agree the Brit's Guide is the best too - I've also got the Unofficial Guide which I love for WDW but was very disappointed with for DLP.

I can't believe that postage! That is ridiculous. I think Ebay could be a good option for you :)

Anything you want to know - ask away :cheer2:

Karen

Simon's book is great, full of handy little tips. The Unofficial Guide is good but quite out-of-date, we bought it about a year and a half ago and there's nothing in it about the Studios! Not sure if it's been updated since.

Rhiannon :wizard:

the Brit's guide by Simon Vinesse is excellent.
I bought it in February and have read it cover to cover.
I wish we'd had it when we were in DLP a few years back. We might have actually enjoyed the visit using Simon's guide.

disneyholic family said:
We might have actually enjoyed the visit using Simon's guide.
I'm sold. :earsgirl:

I'm curious to know, since you implied that you didn't enjoy your visit . . . what do you wish you had known before you left, that you would have read in the guide? Any crucial tips?

One thing I heard today at the DIS meet is that (at some times of year, at least) all the restaurants in the park shut down by 5PM. Yikes! Guess we'll either have to eat elsewhere, or have a dinner comprised exclusively of popcorn and Mickey bars. :mickeybar

Kitty-chan said:
I'm sold. :earsgirl:

I'm curious to know, since you implied that you didn't enjoy your visit . . . what do you wish you had known before you left, that you would have read in the guide? Any crucial tips?

One thing I heard today at the DIS meet is that (at some times of year, at least) all the restaurants in the park shut down by 5PM. Yikes! Guess we'll either have to eat elsewhere, or have a dinner comprised exclusively of popcorn and Mickey bars. :mickeybar

for one thing we would have stayed onsite overnight....the train took about an hour I think.....and there was a certain amount of tension as to when we'd get there....plus it makes it a very long day when you tack on travel to and from Paris...

our visit inside the park was not at all efficient and we were very unknowledgeable about what the rides were....

with Simon's guide you have a very good idea of what everything is, so you can plan your day.....

it's funny, as i read his guide i kept saying to myself, "oh, that was what that was..."....

it's definitely worth the investment....

if you can't find it in a bookstore, you can probably get it on amazon.com....the first time i bought his orlando book, i bought it from amazon.uk....

Kitty-chan said:

Don't worry Kitty-chan! There are lots of restaurants in Disney Village and all the hotels which serve till late. Remember DLP is so small you can easily walk between the parks, the village and the onsite hotels (or get a bus to the further away hotels but even they are walkable if they are onsite)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter