Do I need to worry about mosquitos?

I always bring bug spray but I've never needed/used it. I'm a mosquito magnet and out of a dozen or so trips I've only gotten bit one night at MK....and I'm not even sure it was a mosquito. I got 4 bites on my leg that were far itchier than a normal mosquito bite (but of course I was prepared with "after bite" spray. :D ).

Last edited:
Being from the UK where we don’t have the kind of insects that they do in the States, we always use bug spray everyday before heading to the parks and normally do a top up at night if we’re going out somewhere. We always stay away from stagnant water and shrubbery at night if we can. My Stepdad seems to be a bug magnet and has had some pretty bad mosquito bites in the past (one particularly nasty one was at AK during the day and we had to take him to first aid there) that required him to go to urgent care and take antibiotics so we just don’t risk it anymore. Better safe than sorry, I say. We always get the deep woods camping one from Publix because that seems to work the best.
In all my trips I have never seen any mosquito's. I have seen many "love bugs" as certain times of he year though. Most of those bugs reduction were handled by RCID but now with the new organization that seems far more concerned about controlling our thoughts than the bug population, who knows.

I guess my blood is to old and therefore not attracting mosquitos but even when they did they never bothered me. What did were deer flies. Those little suckers can take a chunk out of your flesh and you never noticed them until you get the reaction. I had one bite me on the face and it closed my eye up for two days. Maybe there are some of them about the area. Don't know for sure because I have never seen one there but if it's after dark I'm not likely to see them anyway.

Last edited:
Mosquitoes love me. I haven’t had any problems in the parks. But have been bitten in the parking lot. They seem to come out as soon as the sun starts going down.

Just putting this out there because many people aren’t aware of fire ants. My son is very allergic to fire ant bites, he wasn’t watching where he was going and stepped on an ant hill. Ended up at urgent care because his entire body broke out in hives. (This wasn’t at Disney, but while fishing not too far away.) I have occasionally seen ants on the sidewalks while waiting for parades. Fire ants are red and black.

Funny you say that it made me remember the only time I noticed them which was the path behind YC that goes to bridge between YC and BW. I think we walked through YC and out the back entrance and ended up there somehow we were staying at the BW.

WDW is the one tropical place where I never get mosquito bites and I have visited over 30 times in various different seasons. And I am a magnet for mosquitos. This thread just reminded me of another reason that I love WDW so much.

I don't know what they do for mosquito control, but it is absolutely amazing!!!

We are leaving in several days. I have been obsessively hoarding tips to execute to make for the best possible trip. This biggest two that keep showing up are HYDRATE and SUNSCREEN. We’ve got sunscreen, hats, and UV umbrellas. We also have life straw water bottles, electrolyte enhancers, neck fans, and cooling towels.

No one has mentioned mosquitos that I’ve noticed. Is this really not a thing? Or do I need to buy bug spray?
I'm from Texas and get mosquito bitten in my hometown, but never have had an issue with them during the summer at Disney World. They have good pest control.

We’ve visited Disney many times without mosquitoes except the times we go to Hoop- Dee-Doo. We can get bites waiting if it’s dusk or later or, after the show walking to the boat back to MK.

We’ve visited several times and I’ve only once received a mosquito bite while at POR. Aside from that we’ve never even seen mosquitoes.

Maybe we’re just lucky, but we haven’t had any insect problems even when staying at the FW Cabins.

So just got home and we did get bit a couple times this trip. I'm the bug magnet of the family and it was actually my husband asking if I brought any spray because he noticed a few land on him. I only have 2 itchy welts... one on the ankle and one on my scalp :( Got them both at EEH at Magic Kingdom. We had a dry week with a great breeze so I was kind of shocked. The only other time I remember coming home with itchy welts was our Labor Day weekend of 2018 trip. It certainly doesn't hurt to have it :)

My friend and I got bit up one night sitting in front of Spaceship Earth watching the lights change. I think it was early October when we were there for the 50th. She had a bad reaction (blisters), ended up getting medical attention when we got home.

When we stayed at FW cabins, we had a few instances of mosquitos or bugs. Even so, it wasn't anything terrible or off-putting. I am generally pleased with how well managed the bugs and mosquitos are at WDW. I bring bug spray and after-bite and the last time it was used was at FW cabins, never at other resorts.

I am one of those who gets eaten alive at home. I brought plenty of bug spray/supplies on our first family trip 10 years ago and never needed any of them. No one in my family has ever gotten a single bite at WDW and we travel in the summer. It's amazing.

I am one of those who gets eaten alive at home. I brought plenty of bug spray/supplies on our first family trip 10 years ago and never needed any of them. No one in my family has ever gotten a single bite at WDW and we travel in the summer. It's amazing.
Considering it's in a subtropical climate surrounded by swamp land, it defies logic that there aren't mosquitoes swarming all over the parks at night. Whatever they do to keep them away, it works. We never use any bug spray and never have an issue. At home it's a must, especially at night 🤷‍♂️

Considering it's in a subtropical climate surrounded by swamp land, it defies logic that there aren't mosquitoes swarming all over the parks at night. Whatever they do to keep them away, it works. We never use any bug spray and never have an issue. At home it's a must, especially at night 🤷‍♂️

They drop massive amounts of insecticide over the whole property.

Do they? I've never seen them with the typical truck sprayer going around.

I do know that one of Disney's best defenses against Mosquitoes... goes back to the properties initial development. Walt himself meet William "Joe" Potter back at the 1964 World Fair. Potter was an MIT graduate and engineer that had previously served as governor of the Panama Canal Zone... Walt hired him on the spot to help in the development of his new property in Florida. All the water you see in ponds and drainage ditches, is flowing in some way, and that keeps down the mosquitoes population. They selected certain plants that are know to be repellent plants, they stock water areas with small fish know to eat larvae. And they do spray areas prone to have mosquitoes... with liquid garlic. Diluted enough most humans can't smell it but mosquitoes hate it. And they have some sentinel chick coops in different areas to monitor the mosquito population and check for signs of any diseases.

I'm not saying Disney doesn't use insecticide on occasion, but it's not what one might assume would be necessary at the headwaters of the Everglades. ;)

But yeah I've been bitten before, so I'd recommend some protection...

I'm another one that is a mosquito and bug magnet at home, but rarely have any issues at WDW. I won't say never, but it is rare for me.

A bit of an exaggeration from what I've read, though obviously they do use spray pesticides, among other techniques. In any case it's an impressive feat they're able to keep them at bay as well as they do.

Echoing what others have said, I seem to be fine in the parks but did get bitten while watching HEA and the Electrical Water Pageant from the Fort Wilderness beach after Hoop Dee Doo. Parks seem to be fine but couldn't hurt if you're going to be out at night at the resorts/near bodies of water.

I was eaten up alive (ankles) last year in May at Jambo House AKL. I didn't realize until day 2 - I was so looking forward to sitting on our balcony, enjoying morning coffee. Once I realized what was happening - that ended.

I attributed it to being at the AKL - they can't really spray there, with the animals.

I ended up having to go to Urgent Care when I got back a week later. Cellulitis. Ugh.

Now I am reading articles about malaria in TX & FL. I will be purchasing off before I go in a couple of weeks. We're staying at the Riviera this time, so I hope in won't be so bad. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter