Do we really need the cursing on the Falcon and Winter Soldier?

These are more like the Netflix shows. I’m cool with it. Eventually your kids will swear a lot. No big deal. We all do it.
yep.. I just focus on teaching my kids that there are times when it is ok and appropriate to curse and times when it def is NOT ok lol. And of course words that are never ok.

Also a big fan of the "There are things that adults can do that kids cannot and that's just life" line. We use that a lot :rotfl2:

I find it amusing that people are bothered by a little cursing while watching people shoot and beat each other to death. Yes, I realize it's just a show. I actually love the Marvel Universe!

I don't recall it being used in abundance, and what was used seemed to fall seamlessly into the rest of the dialogue.

This show has a TV rating of PG-16 (may contain strong violence, strong language, and strong sexual content). That’s equivalent to Rated R for film.

Eta, for reference, WandaVision PG-TV, Mandalorian PG-14
Mandalorian is fortunate enough to have it's own swear words like "Dank Farrik". No way parents will ever complain to Disney over abuse of the "DF-Bomb". But let's see what happens in Season 3!

I don't recall it being used in abundance, and what was used seemed to fall seamlessly into the rest of the dialogue.

Mandalorian is fortunate enough to have it's own swear words like "Dank Farrik". No way parents will ever complain to Disney over abuse of the "DF-Bomb". But let's see what happens in Season 3!

It is always great when sci-fi has it's own little swearing lexicon. I was thinking about that recently as curse words have origins and I wondered if they connect, like how it might be a crude word for something else, but then just used to express frustration. Sebulba shouts "poo doo!" when he loses the race, but Jabba called Han the same. Does it mean "Bantha Fodder" or did the subtitles clean it up? 🤣

It is always great when sci-fi has it's own little swearing lexicon. I was thinking about that recently as curse words have origins and I wondered if they connect, like how it might be a crude word for something else, but then jsut used to express frustration. Sebulba shouts "poo doo!" when he loses the race, but Jabba called Han the same. Does it mean "Bantha Fodder" or did the subtitles clean it up? 🤣
Didn't Jar Jar say it too, when he stepped in something? I wasn't a regular watcher, but I know the later Battlestar Galactica show used "Frak" and "Frakking" as their own F-bomb.

Didn't Jar Jar say it too, when he stepped in something? I wasn't a regular watcher, but I know the later Battlestar Galactica show used "Frak" and "Frakking" as their own F-bomb.

I don't think that's what Jar Jar says - he says something like, "Icky goo." It has been used in some other cases though I think.

Thank you! That was dark and hard to watch for a Marvel movie and yet this is what is bothering people? Kids shouldn't see that scene!
I haven't even started the series yet and I'm sure I know what scene you're talking about. Its very popular in the mom groups on facebook lol. Also on Tiktok.

That part was trés cray. This new Cap is like Windows Vista: Promising at first until it quickly wears out it's welcome, then you're stuck with it until the next upgrade, which will likely be Sam.

I really don't know if we need cursing and the like on that particular show. Did game of thrones really have to have frontal nudity every 12.5 minutes whether it needed to or not?

It's germane to the character is a load of rubbish. Of course they put it in to get people to look and gasp. It's LCD programing. But it's either a good enough show that you still watch or it's not.

Yeah, but it's still lazy screenwriting. Stream-of-consciousness is fine for a first draft, but good screenwriters don't actually expect a film to be made with a first draft. You only have a finite amount of time to tell your story, so screenplays need to be edited carefully so that every word counts and contributes to the quality of the film and the progression of the plot. If it doesn't, then it needs to be cut.
It's accurate to how people speak. I honestly had not noticed it so I guess it feels organic to me and to many others.

These are more like the Netflix shows. I’m cool with it. Eventually your kids will swear a lot. No big deal. We all do it.
No we don't. Don't get me wrong, I used to "curse like a sailor." Then we had our first child. IMO, it is extremely rare when a curse word is NEEDED. People only use curse words because it's "verboten". Think about it... why do you say the "F-word" and not "FUDGE!"? Habit? Because somehow it "means" more? Or because you're a "rebel"?

John Walker just 🎼 decapitation America! 🎼 that one guy and your concern is the language?

yup.
I actually covered my kids eyes for that part.

the language flows with the characters. It isn’t lazy writing it’s realistic linguistics.
If they spoke in Dickensian English it would still be similarly rated Bc of violence.

I find it amusing that people are bothered by a little cursing while watching people shoot and beat each other to death. Yes, I realize it's just a show. I actually love the Marvel Universe!
It does seem rather contradictory, I must say. But maybe I think that way because I know my kids will never emulate that, but am afraid they will pick up bad language at a young age. Or maybe we are all just desensitized. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Kevin Smith has been asked why his movies contain so much cussing. He has explained that he writes the dialog as he and his friends talk. It is just a part of his lexicon.

I imagine a similar reasoning can be applied to many writers.

https://comicbook.com/irl/news/kevin-smith-censored-comic-con-panel-too-much-swearing/
I’d like to se an actual script. I have a feeling many of the swear words are ad lib. I met Kevin Smith at Disneyland Paris with his daughter. It seemed almost ironic being a gen-xer myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter