Do you bring any cash? (foreigners)

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
42 days til we hit the most magical place on earth!!

we are coming from Canada and I'm just wondering if we should bring any USD cash with us? is there anything we will absolutely NEED it for? we have a USD credit card that we'll be bringing and will be linked to adults magic bands, we have a couple Disney gift cards and both kids have some American cash from grandparents to use for the trip, I don't want to order a bunch of cash if we won't use it, we aren't frequent travelers and it will likely be years before we visit America again

42 days til we hit the most magical place on earth!!

we are coming from Canada and I'm just wondering if we should bring any USD cash with us? is there anything we will absolutely NEED it for? we have a USD credit card that we'll be bringing and will be linked to adults magic bands, we have a couple Disney gift cards and both kids have some American cash from grandparents to use for the trip, I don't want to order a bunch of cash if we won't use it, we aren't frequent travelers and it will likely be years before we visit America again

Are driving or flying?
I think because of the pandemic, most places prefer card.

If you plan on staying in Disney and in the bubble, you won't need cash except for some tipping (valet, housekeeping, taking Mears/Sunshine for driver, anyone handling luggage at airport.

I always use cash at Walt Disney World (and all U.S. vacations for that matter). We're from Canada and visit WDW three weeks each year since it opened. I don't like using cards due to the exhange rate and so on charged on cards plus fees. We bring mostly cash to this day. We do put a card on the room, but almost never charge to the room unless it's the only option. Sometimes we may put the cash on a Disney card when we're there, but for me cash is still king.

Tips is all I can think of. Even the penny coin press machines take cards now 😝

Still I always have some in case of “emergency” like if the credit card system goes down at a vendor. Or for convenience at a busy spot that has a shorter cash only line.

Don’t have to bring cash w you. I think usually best to get from an ATM once here.

we have a USD credit card that we'll be bringing and will be linked to adults magic bands
You do not link a credit card to a Magic Band. If you are staying at a Disney-owned hotel, you give your credit card information to the hotel. You can then use your Magic Band to charge purchases back to your hotel room. Not trying to be nit-picky; sometimes a person will be staying at a hotel which is not owned by Disney, and will have Magic Bands from a previous trip. They can use the Magic Bands for park entrance, Genie+ entrance, ride photos, but cannot use the Magic Bands for making purchases.

we are coming from Canada and I'm just wondering if we should bring any USD cash with us? is there anything we will absolutely NEED it for?

Sometimes the charging systems at Disney go down. You can't use a credit card or charge to your room.

I believe in the past there were some things you could only buy for cash. Things light balloons and light-up toys sold during the parades might have been included. I can't speak from personal experience about that.

PPs mentioned that some people like to have cash on hand for tipping for transportation, bellman, housekeeping. If you are flying and are doing curbside check-in of your luggage, many people tip -- I didn't know this the first time I did it.

It's good to have some for emergencies, like if the payment system goes down (which it did just this week for a little while). Aside from that you shouldn't really need any.

I bought a light up toy before HEA a few years ago and they did take credit cards on a tablet. It may not be all carts, but it's definitely possible to use cards at at least some of them.

You don’t need a lot but personally I like to have maybe $200 available - with some of it in small bills for tipping - anytime I travel. I would feel a bit uneasy without it even though 99% of transactions can usually be done without it.

Disney has lots of ATM machines where you can get US dollars if you need them. Even if you are from the US, it is preferable to use an ATM machine instead of bringing large amounts of cash when you arrive. Banks will typically allow you to exchange foreign currency when you return home if you don't use it all up.

I always pay by credit card, but will bring some cash for tips. If you don’t like / want to bring credit cards into the park and don’t want to carry around cash (which I would not recommend anyway) then just get some Disney gift cards and load them up. Everywhere on Disney property including Disney Springs excepts them. and you can always reload them if they run out.

Not clear how carrying a Disney gift card is much different then a credit card. If you lose your gift card, you could be out whatever money was on the card. Once your vacation is over, money still left on the gift card won't be readily availble. Given the choice, I would rather carry a credit card. Small amounts of cash also makes sense for nominal type purchases.

Last edited:
is there anything we will absolutely NEED it for?
Others have made the point...cash for tips (driver, bellhop) and some cash. Sometimes the credit processing machines ar carts and kiosks are down. You want enough cash to pay for water,pop corn etc.
Not clear how carrying a Disney gift card is much different then a credit card
Some posters buy Disney Gift cards at a discount, 5% and more. There is a thread on the budget board.

Some might save a few % buying gift cards. My comment was more related to the safety aspect of carrying/bringing large sums of cash and the potential for it to be lost/stolen much like losing a gift card. Going to a nearby ATM machine is a far safer way to get cash regardless of where you are traveling from.

I would have some, but not necessarily a lot of cash on hand. I personally try to have $100-200 in cash with me, my wife on the other hand is fine with $20.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter