Do you consider Disney/DVC a hobby?

BamaGuy44

DIS Veteran
I kind of do, I'm wondering how my fellow DVC enthusiasts felt about it. I'm sure there are tons of owners who never look at these boards, bought their points, use them to book their trips and never really think about DVC beyond that. I totally get it, we have some Marriott points and that's how I am with those.

Then there is a kind of DVC owner, like many of us here, who enjoy talking (with some speculating and arguing mixed in) about DVC, keeping up with the latest news/gossip about the resorts and the system, running all kinds of scenarios in our minds about how to use our points for future trips, which resort(s) will be the victim of our next losing battle to addonitis, etc. It's an aspect of being an owner that I wouldn't have predicted for myself, but it's pretty fun I have to say.

I can see it being like a hobby. Like you say, we talk about aspects of it a lot, keep up with the news about it, etc...

We even collect things like swag and pins. I've considered buying a contract at the Polynesian, not because I really want it, but just so I have all three monorail resorts! :P

No but I consider the 2 flexible income generating part time businesses I set up hobbies. With all the funds I earn going to pay for vacations. Predominantly DVC.

Disney planning is a hobby for me. DVC is a part of that. I like keeping up to date on news, and always finding something new to surprise my family with on each trip.

Honestly sometimes I think I enjoy planning the trips as much as I like taking them… the rush of scoring those desirable DVC rooms through stalking the website is pretty great.

I kind of do, I'm wondering how my fellow DVC enthusiasts felt about it. I'm sure there are tons of owners who never look at these boards, bought their points, use them to book their trips and never really think about DVC beyond that. I totally get it, we have some Marriott points and that's how I am with those.

Then there is a kind of DVC owner, like many of us here, who enjoy talking (with some speculating and arguing mixed in) about DVC, keeping up with the latest news/gossip about the resorts and the system, running all kinds of scenarios in our minds about how to use our points for future trips, which resort(s) will be the victim of our next losing battle to addonitis, etc. It's an aspect of being an owner that I wouldn't have predicted for myself, but it's pretty fun I have to say.
Oh it’s definitely a hobby, borderline obsession at the current moment lol I imagine that feeling will ebb and flow over the years but, speaking as a fairly new owner, it’s definitely something I spend a lot of time thinking about beyond just booking trips and all that.

I’m also in a phase of wanting to travel abroad a bit less right now (this is sure to change as I love to travel). I lived in London for 2 years until this last summer and spent most of my 20s, very luckily, getting to travel abroad multiple times a year and I think I’m just looking for the comfort of “home” and an easier escape for right now. Disney fulfills that for me and more, DVC allows me to feel like I’m part of a community and is the travel outlet I’m craving. And because it is a financial “investment” I feel even more inclined to know all ins and outs and news that comes along with that. It also doesn’t help that these boards are fun and filled with so much knowledge that there’s always a nagging feeling of FOMO if I’m not staying up to date with everything.

No, not a hobby, a means for travel! Even if the travel is to the same place - that happens to change over time.

Since 2021, this has been my daily hobby.
Looking at the disboards and checking the dvc availability.

Yup! Since it’s my favorite thing to do! Id be lost without my DVC and trips to WDW.

Though, I loved visiting Ireland a few weeks back so that was pretty cool too! Lol
We love trips to Ireland too… beautiful country… where did you visit?

I think yes because it's something my husband and I enjoy doing and talking about. Lately he's been on a "well if we get more points" kick. We are using up all our points in 2025 to take his brother and family to WDW and he's sad that it'll be our only trip that year with our points. He is excited to show them DVC since they only stay off site but now he's realizing he wants more points. So yes an expensive hobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter