Do you cut down your beach grass in the fall or spring?

DebºoºS

DIS Veteran
I cut mine down in the spring. I love the rustle sound it makes when it dries out. I think it looks so pretty in the winter too. My neighbor cuts all of hers down to the ground in the fall.

Don't have beach grasses. :( I'm picturing beach grasses to be the large clumps that grow quite tall and just look so graceful, gently bending in the breezes.

If that is what you are talking about, the local landscapers at the office building nearby cut them down in the early spring also. I agree, it is great winter interest.

I cut mine down in the spring also. My landscape would be pretty bare without them. I do it very early in spring hoping that they come in quick. One brand that I have doesn't really get going until the middle of July. But when they start they grow like crazy. I started out with 3 small ones and after 4 years I know have 7 huge ones. Next spring Im going to split some of them again.

My ornamental grass gets cut down in feb...just abotu the the time it starts brealing off and making huge messes all over the yard.

Tuli, yes I call them all "beach grass". They are so graceful to watch.

Crzy, Having them around does add so much to the winter landscape. My Maiden grasses have spread very well.The Zebra is huge now after only 2 years. My slowest is Pompass (sp?) it takes awhile to reach it's full height.

AC, My Pompass gets messy around the pond but it takes so long to reach it's full height I hate to cut it down in the fall.

Crzy4dsny, it's great to see you here again! :)

Last time you stopped by, you were soon to leave for WDW. I see by your clock that you're on your way again, very soon!!! :sunny:

If I had the space, I'd love to plant lots of grasses. I think they look great! :)

Originally posted by Snowwark
Crzy4dsny, it's great to see you here again! :)

Last time you stopped by, you were soon to leave for WDW. I see by your clock that you're on your way again, very soon!!! :sunny:

"Thank's for Noticing me"..... I should come here more often. The people here are nice:D Not like the other boards:eek:

Bon Voyage Crzy4dsny! See you on the flip side:wave2:

oh right gardening.... I planted more bulbs::yes::

Believe it or not, I have thought about this particular thread on and off several times since late November or early December. That's because that is when that landscaping company for that office building I mentioned in my posting on this thread came and cut down the ornamental grass! I couldn't believe it when it happened. I am POSITIVE that the grass had always been cut down in the Springtime.

Oh well. I feel better now that I found this thread and I can finally unburden this on you guys. It's not as if I lied.... But I just felt so guilty when it happened because I felt like I misled you guys. Actually, that landscaping company misled me! Maybe it's a different company from previous years?!

I just thought of this thread recently also. It's looking very messy after a long winter. As soon as the wind and cold stops I'll be out there cutting it down. I'm sure my anal neighbor will be thankful. I cut some of the larger clumps in the fall and they're coming up green.
Can't wait to get out there and do some spring cleaning.

Originally posted by DebºoºS
....... As soon as the wind and cold stops I'll be out there cutting it down....... .........Can't wait to get out there and do some spring cleaning.
Do you believe we are suppose to get SNOW tomorrow!?? Guess that spring cleanup will have to wait awhile. I was getting antsy myself but with this snow prediction, I think I will hibernate a bit longer! LOL!

I don't have ornamental beach grass, but yesterday I finally cut down the asparagus stalks that look tall and graceful for much of the year. They were dried out and looked ratty, but I've read that it's best to leave them on during the winter for protection to the roots.

And we did get snow!

Bobbi:D

I too love the way asparagus looks in the winter. Didn't know you were supposed to leave the tops on. All the more reason to leave it alone now.

I can't believe this weather! :rolleyes:

Old Celts never die. They have harp failure.

Oh, is that the bush of grass with bamboo-like stalks that the kids tear apart and mess up the yard with? That the cats hide in?

I'm pretty plant clueless....but I'm gathering that I should cut it down about now? How?

I've got my first yard and I need all the help I can get!

Sounds like you've got it, Lesley. I use a hedge trimmer. Just cut it down as close to the ground as you can. Break off (I stomp on it) and pull out all the dead stuff.
If you don't remove the old grass you may not get new growth from the top it'll grow out the sides.

Wear gloves! I just the worst splinter:mad:

Oh yes , wear clothes...this stuff is lethal to your hands. I have half of mine cut back...goign to be moving some this year...need a hack saw for that. LOL

Okay, I'll use gloves. Don't have a hedge trimmer, but I think it could be done with my pruning shears and by hand (quite a job though!). I just tried to imagine taking the line trimmer to it....LOL....that would do a better job than the kids at shredding it all over the lawn.

Thanks! I'll be around here asking plenty of stupid questions soon!

I cut down half of them so far. I used the hedge trimmer and loping shears. What a mess. :headache: I wonder if machetes are legal in NJ?

DH saw a company he does service work at burn their ornamental grass. Wonder if this might be better for new growth than just cutting. Anyone know?

thanks CD, Good idea. I bet it is better for new growth but I think in my neighborhood I'd get arrested. We can't burn anything.

Meanwhile I still have clumps that need cutting down and if I don't get to it they won't come back straight.

hmmm. Now you have me thinking. There is a clump right next to the pond that I might try burning. I could always dump pond water on it if it gets out of control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter