Do you ever hold off telling others about your love of Disney

Sounds awesome! Nine months is a more reasonable time frame as I was picturing a marathon as nonstop (like when I do a Star Wars marathon).

Which DisneyToon's were disappointing? I am trying to think of which ones they did that were not based on TV shows and also released in theaters. They did Duck Tales and A Goofy Movie, which are both very good. It always seemed to me that DisneyToon could do well with a theatrical level budget, but not so good with direct-to-video money.

It only ended up being a marathon because I didn't stick to my schedule, haha. For my next trip I'm trying to put together a movie list that's just all the movies related to rides in the parks I'm visiting; seems more reasonable. It was definitely worth doing; I'd never seen Make Mine Music or Melody Time before that, for instance.

That's the challenge and the reason they all ended up getting included - the ones you mentioned were fine, and the Planes movies are actually DisneyToon and I liked them more than I expected to. The problem was that a surprising number of what I'd thought were straight-to-video sequels had had theatrical releases. I don't like any of the Pooh sequels other than the 2011 Winnie the Pooh, and I did not enjoy Return to Neverland or The Jungle Book 2.

It only ended up being a marathon because I didn't stick to my schedule, haha. For my next trip I'm trying to put together a movie list that's just all the movies related to rides in the parks I'm visiting; seems more reasonable. It was definitely worth doing; I'd never seen Make Mine Music or Melody Time before that, for instance.

That's the challenge and the reason they all ended up getting included - the ones you mentioned were fine, and the Planes movies are actually DisneyToon and I liked them more than I expected to. The problem was that a surprising number of what I'd thought were straight-to-video sequels had had theatrical releases. I don't like any of the Pooh sequels other than the 2011 Winnie the Pooh, and I did not enjoy Return to Neverland or The Jungle Book 2.

I didn't know those had theatrical releases either, except for Return to Neverland (which I haven't seen). I apparently have some reading to do.

It makes me sad to see so many that so many people refer to our love of Disney as "childish." It doesn't have to be a polarization between"loving Disney = childish" and "everything else = grown-up."

As Walt said in 1938, it's really about "that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in each of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe [Disney] pictures can help us recall." I want to give that part of me every chance to grow and shine -- and WDW helps make that happen. End of story! (And yes, I do hold off discussing Disney with others, because I usually end up being the only one all excited and happy, and then I feel a little embarrassed...)

It comes up pretty quickly with me. Seriously, I have a WDW Euro-style decal on my car's rear window and use a sun shield from Disney (a vintage 2000 one, no less--one which says "Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand"). That should say enough.

If someone wants to judge me for being a Disney fanatic, they're not worth my time.

Well. I try. Lol. I realize though if I manage to talk about it any more than 5 minutes I've exposed my crazy and have lost all credibility anyway. :rotfl2:

I just can't keep it in!

This happens to me quite a lot too :rotfl:

It's so hard to be what is considered by most "normal"

Im currently internet dating and ive deliberately set out my profile to look like the biggest fan geek ever.. I just think that why be someone Im not? If im not up front about my love for Disney then they would be in for a right shock later down the line and I dont want to waste my time with someone who isnt going to understand it or appreciate what a big part of my life it is. But I do get some abuse from it and most of the time i just get ignored. My friends and family realised a long time ago that I was never going to grow out of it. My parents have actually come full circle now and realise just how much of an awesome holiday I plan when we go that they actually enjoy it and look forward to it.
I just say to people who criticise that " well i could always have an addiction to alcohol or drugs, would you be less offended with that?"

Nope don't hold back in the slightest. Love me, love my Disney obsession. If anyone has a problem with it then it's their problem not mine. I even (sort of) converted my husband and he even proposed to me in CRT.
I wear Disney clothes, my house is full of Disney stuff, I had a Disney wedding and I holiday at Disneyworld. I'm the adult still standing in lines waiting to meet the characters and I don't care what anyone says about it.
We could never afford anything like a trip to Disneyworld when I was a kid so I guess i'm making up for it now :tongue:

My disney obsession started about 5 years ago and if it came up in conversation I'd happily talk to others about why I love Disney parks and Disney in general. Some people didn't really get it but could appreciate my love for it anyway.

However some others not only didn't get it, but would actually try and make me feel bad about liking it. "But you don't have children", "It's for children, are you sure you wouldn't rather xyz". Or "what a waste of money ". It's normally friends of friends but even some family members.

Now I'm very selective what I discuss to whom. Does anyone else do this?
I totally understand. I am an artist, so I have spent most of my life with people not getting me. At some point I quit trying or giving a fig about whether someone approved of my choices or not. Even my parents had a difficult time at getting me when I was a kid! It took me 37 years to meet the person who totally got me, and he is my partner now. While he is no Disney fan, he totally gets my love for Disney. I am going alone in October (he'd rather have a root canal without Novocaine than go back to Disney!) and he is extremely supportive and excited for me, because he knows I will be in heaven once I am there. As far as other people, most of my family likes Disney and when they found out I was going solo, suddenly everyone wanted to join. I said NO. lol. Most of my friends are artist colleagues and pretty much all get the Disney thing -- one is actually a Cast Member who works for Disney Animation in Los Angeles and loves working at the 'Mouse House.' When she found out I was going to WDW, she was thrilled for me. As far as other people, many won't get it. But I have been amazed as to how many people DO get it and have discovered quite a few fellow Disney lovers among people I have known for a while but never knew they loved Disney. Ironic that I'd end up with someone who doesn't.
:eeyore:

Frankly, if anyone gives you a hard time for your love of Disney, they're not really friends and may not really have a place in your life. Granted, they do not HAVE to love Disney, but if they love YOU then they should he thrilled you have such a passion that makes you happy. And, of course, you have all of us Disney nuts here who support you and love Disney as much as you do!
:tigger:

Quoting myself here... :rotfl2:

But I came to think about something regarding this topic that I didn't bring up in my previous post.
But after coming out as gay, I ain't taking no fuss from no one! And "coming out" as a Disney Freak is not even close (to me) as it was stepping out of the closet. :eek::grouphug::banana:

So yeah, bring it on... I've been around the block a few laps already buddy! :cool2:

Oh yeah! I was 16 when I came out to all my friends and at that point I no longer cared what people thought. At 21, I came out to my parents, who already knew I was different anyway so it came as no shock. Took guts, but I guess I am stubborn and hardheaded enough that I plowed on regardless of who approved or not. Needless to say, each time I come out as a Disney nut, it pales in comparison! LOL.

I had it come up once in a job interview, and I think it worked in my favor as building rapport. They offered me the job. (I ended up with two job offers and I took the other one, but still.)

Glad they also relate to your love of barbecues. ;)
I should share this story with my partner, who is a VP of HR! He'll love it!

Im currently internet dating and ive deliberately set out my profile to look like the biggest fan geek ever.. I just think that why be someone Im not? If im not up front about my love for Disney then they would be in for a right shock later down the line and I dont want to waste my time with someone who isnt going to understand it or appreciate what a big part of my life it is. But I do get some abuse from it and most of the time i just get ignored. My friends and family realised a long time ago that I was never going to grow out of it. My parents have actually come full circle now and realise just how much of an awesome holiday I plan when we go that they actually enjoy it and look forward to it.
I just say to people who criticise that " well i could always have an addiction to alcohol or drugs, would you be less offended with that?"
That is wonderful! By being so open like that you are bound to attract someone who shares that love of Disney with you, or at least will love you for it! My partner is no fan of Disney, but he loves my passion for it. In fact, when he found out the MSEP was ending right before I get there in October, he was really sad for me, possibly even more than I was (and I was a mess about it!)

I rarely say where I'm going unless someone asks. I got twice a year, at least one of those times is solo and the other is with my 35 year old son who has been going since before he was 3. Most people at work will assume if I'm going on vacation that I'm going to WDW, which is not always the case. The good thing about getting older is you learn to just not care what other people think or say. If asked why I go I'll explain it's an easy place for a woman to go solo to, it costs less than most of my go to places since I have an AP and can spread out the ticket cost. I also tend to go during F&G so it's easy to explain the pretty flowers and food booths and F&W and all I have to say is DUH Food and Wine who doesn't like food and wine? It also helps that I'm not known for not sharing my personal life and I'm a bit of a female dog when questioned about it.
That is great!!! You know, a few times I have had people look at me with a blank stare when I mention EPCOT's F&W and then they go, "REALLLYYY????" Then I see them rethinking the whole Disney thing. It turns out many people have NO idea what Disney World is all about and when they do find out, many of them change their tune fairly quickly. There is also the thing that you cannot really KNOW Disney World unless you experience it. My partner, when he finally agreed to go with me back in 2011 for my birthday, originally said, "I don't like amusement parks." I quickly replied, "Oh, Disney World is NO amusement park...it is a whole other world!" He saw what I meant when we got there. While he is still not a fan and is not interested in going again, when he experienced the MSEP, he had tears in his eyes and recently told me it was one of the highlights of that trip. Working in corporate, he was also impressed at Disney's customer care and how they pretty much care for you from the second you get there until you leave. And now that I am going alone, he totally gets why I want to go back. I have been going since I was 12 and I love WDW just as much as the first time.

Yup, I try not to tell people anymore because I always get the " not Disney again" speech. I am pretty fed up. My family just doesn't get it. My brother-in-law is the biggest critic and goes off on a rant every time we see him.:sad2:
Now I just tell people that the kids love going back year after year but really, it my husband and I who love the place. My husband and I just planned our next trip in Sept. for our wedding anniversary. No kids this time. People keep asking me where we are going, I just keep telling them we have no concrete plans and that we will plan as we go, which is a load of bull. We are going back to Disney for an adult only trip. Only my Mom and parents-in-law know. It kind of sucks but I am fed up of explaining why we like the place so much!

Alexsandra, try being in your 60's and going every year. I get a lot of attitude about that! But I just don't care:) At this age, we go and do what we want and if someone doesn't understand, that's on them.
So go and have a great WDW Anniversary:)

I totally understand. I am an artist, so I have spent most of my life with people not getting me. At some point I quit trying or giving a fig about whether someone approved of my choices or not. Even my parents had a difficult time at getting me when I was a kid! It took me 37 years to meet the person who totally got me, and he is my partner now. While he is no Disney fan, he totally gets my love for Disney. I am going alone in October (he'd rather have a root canal without Novocaine than go back to Disney!) and he is extremely supportive and excited for me, because he knows I will be in heaven once I am there. As far as other people, most of my family likes Disney and when they found out I was going solo, suddenly everyone wanted to join. I said NO. lol. Most of my friends are artist colleagues and pretty much all get the Disney thing -- one is actually a Cast Member who works for Disney Animation in Los Angeles and loves working at the 'Mouse House.' When she found out I was going to WDW, she was thrilled for me. As far as other people, many won't get it. But I have been amazed as to how many people DO get it and have discovered quite a few fellow Disney lovers among people I have known for a while but never knew they loved Disney. Ironic that I'd end up with someone who doesn't.
:eeyore:

Frankly, if anyone gives you a hard time for your love of Disney, they're not really friends and may not really have a place in your life. Granted, they do not HAVE to love Disney, but if they love YOU then they should he thrilled you have such a passion that makes you happy. And, of course, you have all of us Disney nuts here who support you and love Disney as much as you do!
:tigger:

I'm envious, Alfredo 68, that you are brave enough to go to WDW alone. I'm married and we both love Disney, but I've been wondering how it would be to just go on my own?? Please give us a trip report when you get back. Maybe I'll have the courage to try it. BTW, I chuckled when you told about your partner who does not like Disney:) It's wonderful that he understands and supports you, you are lucky:)

I am fortunate that I have a few friends and a co-worker that totally get it and I can Dis-nerd out with them all I want.

My DH enjoys Disney, but he is a go every other year max kind of guy.

I do keep my full on encyclopedic knowledge about WDW under wraps. Looking at it from the outside, I can see how it may be strange to have entire menus memorized and be able to spout off random hotel facts at the drop of a hat. I reserve that level of convo to those I know better.

I'm envious, Alfredo 68, that you are brave enough to go to WDW alone. I'm married and we both love Disney, but I've been wondering how it would be to just go on my own?? Please give us a trip report when you get back. Maybe I'll have the courage to try it. BTW, I chuckled when you told about your partner who does not like Disney:) It's wonderful that he understands and supports you, you are lucky:)
It was not an easy decision to make, but once I made it, I started getting really excited about going alone. I started a blog (you can read it here) about going alone to WDW and am documenting every step in the hopes to help others take the plunge and go solo rather than not go because their partners/spouses or friends won't go with them. Now I just drive my partner crazy giving him daily reports of what is happening in the parks through My Disney Experience app. lol.

I am fortunate that I have a few friends and a co-worker that totally get it and I can Dis-nerd out with them all I want.

My DH enjoys Disney, but he is a go every other year max kind of guy.

I do keep my full on encyclopedic knowledge about WDW under wraps. Looking at it from the outside, I can see how it may be strange to have entire menus memorized and be able to spout off random hotel facts at the drop of a hat. I reserve that level of convo to those I know better.
You could start a Disney Vacation consulting business! LOL

Alexsandra, try being in your 60's and going every year. I get a lot of attitude about that! But I just don't care:) At this age, we go and do what we want and if someone doesn't understand, that's on them.
So go and have a great WDW Anniversary:)
:laughing: I guess at 60, I won't care anymore! Your absolutely right, by the way. Thanks, I will have a great trip. My husband and I are super excited. We are like big kids counting down the days. Plus we will be able to do anything we want without worrying about the kid's meal time or bedtimes, no fussing or fighting, no complaining or begging, no laundry or lunches, no waking up early!:woohoo:Sounds like a dream...can't wait!:cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter