Do you have a work cell phone? What would you do...

I carry two phones and keep everything separate. Work calls and e-mails are made on my work phone and the work phone has only job-related apps. I do not carry my work phone around after hours. The only internet use on the work phone is work related. I do not want my job to know my personal business. I use my personal phone for all personal calls and e-mails, personal internet and have all my fun apps on there.

You're talking two different things. I agree anything sent from/going through a work owned computer/device is subject to examination by the company. But I don't think you can compare private email sent/received on a work computer to texts/emails sent from a private cell phone. Is it technically possible for a company to see texts on a private phone (short of an employee turning the phone over)?

See that is the thing, it ceases to be a private phone when they are granted access. It is now a shared device just like your computer. They intend to download software to the phone then they are gaining acces to the whole phone. You cannot have a semi private phone with a 3rd party having access.

Is it technically possible - yes it is, very very possible.

You're talking two different things. I agree anything sent from/going through a work owned computer/device is subject to examination by the company. But I don't think you can compare private email sent/received on a work computer to texts/emails sent from a private cell phone. Is it technically possible for a company to see texts on a private phone (short of an employee turning the phone over)?

Short answer? YES

You bet your bippy they can! ::yes::

Do not use your own phone. Take the work phone.

Do you ever deal with confidential information for your company? If so and you use your own phone for work you will be required to give your company the right to wipe your phone remotely.

I have two phones, it's not that big of a deal.

I wish we had option 2 at my work. We just have option 1 and I refuse to carry two phones. They will not reimburse me for use of my personal cell so it gives me a wonderful out. I take work calls if and when I want. I will not take emails except at work, at my work desk.

It DOES help to create a solid line. Clients know I am available M-F 8:30 am-6 pm on email, and if they have something urgent, they have to call me over the weekend and at night. This way, I only get the urgent calls and not annoyance calls.

I have two colleagues who went with option 1, and they are working every single day, nights, and weekends, for free, constantly answering questions that can wait until the workday begins when they are on the clock.

I think I sound harsh, but I really am happy to help with emergencies, like: actor #3 suddenly becomes available and wants to record lines Monday afternoon and I can set that all up Sunday via phone. No one bleeds or has brain surgery where I work. :hippie:

My DH was NOT "on call" 24/7.....
He decided to ALWAYS cut off his phone after 5pm (used for bizness) because of some flaky calls he got
-as example

6 AM-Trucker calls DH wondering why the Contractor is not there to unload (not DH's problem-but company trucker had his phone #)

7pm Sunday night....Contractor calls , wondering if DH figured cost of his project-a call that SHOULD have waited until Monday

10 am Saturday (we are in our boat on a lake fishing) - Guy is putting up his building and needs some special bolts (that were missing)-could DH go by office/shop and get some?

Do you ever deal with confidential information for your company? If so and you use your own phone for work you will be required to give your company the right to wipe your phone remotely.

This a really good point. I have one iPhone which is mine but work pays me a monthly stipend for it. This means that I am on call. But there is no life or death in my business so the calls are very minimal. Since I am salaried, this is allowed. All should know that if you are hourly, you should not be doing work off the clock - however minimal it might seem. This is a labor law issue.

My work also requires that my work-related data (email, calendars, contacts) not be backed-up to the Cloud. And if I leave for any reason, they have the right to wipe any company business from my phone. We have done this for other employees and it's rather non-invasive as we use a separate that controls work-related data.

I do - I work in banking. I think that's part of the reason why they have some security settings to put on my phone if I go with BYOD. Good point.

I agree with those who have said option one. I would not want my personal number being given out to everyone. Work is Work. Home is Home.

I'm curious if your work place allows you to forward your work calls to your cell phone? I have a "work" number but those calls can be forwarded so I forward them to my cell phone so no one from work knows my personal cell phone number.

Granted - DH's phone is always on due to being Military - that means he is on call 24/7 - even WHEN we are on vacation. I was meaning a regular joe 9-5 job
DH is able to maintain 7am-5pm office hours M-F, mainly due to doing work at home (via his phone or laptop)at night or on weekends. Otherwise, he'd be at the office until 7 or 8 every night.

I've been told at work that I need to have a work cell phone, because I'll be doing some traveling that will require me to need a phone for work calls and work foots the bill for that. They've given me two options:

1. Get an iPhone from work that is owned by work, paid for by work, and can only be used for work (no apps). I'll inevitably have to carry two iPhones around frequently - my personal one and my work one. However, I can shut the work one off at nights and on weekends.

2. "Bring your own device" - allow work to install the security software I need for email, etc on my own personal iPhone, work takes over my phone bill, and I can continue to use my phone as normal. It will be both my personal and work phone, which essentially means I can never really "shut off" my phone. I can see myself walking through Disney and have my phone go off with work people calling :faint: Obviously the thought of no phone bill is very appealing.

What would you do?

Hands down, carry two phones if you are worried about privacy and the ability to "turn off the phone" nights, weekends.

At my dh's job it is a privacy issue for him. It is a large corporation...

Granted - DH's phone is always on due to being Military - that means he is on call 24/7 - even WHEN we are on vacation. I was meaning a regular joe 9-5 job

The regular joe, 9-5 job is probably not the person being issued a company cell phone. There are a lot of reasons companies need 24/7 access to certain employees. That doesn't mean they always contact them. I know my DH has to be in phone contact at all times. He doesn't get contacted very often but if there is an issue, he needs to address it. He hates cell phones but they are what they are for him...and I WISH he only worked 9-5 :D.

The regular joe, 9-5 job is probably not the person being issued a company cell phone. There are a lot of reasons companies need 24/7 access to certain employees. That doesn't mean they always contact them. I know my DH has to be in phone contact at all times. He doesn't get contacted very often but if there is an issue, he needs to address it. He hates cell phones but they are what they are for him...and I WISH he only worked 9-5 :D.
That's a good point. Regular 9-5 joes don't have work cell phones. When they leave work, they leave work both physically and mentally.

Option 2.

My dh is given a work phone that he can use privately (put his own apps on it, make personal calls, etc). He used to have 2 phones. So much easier with 1.

As far as taking work with him on days off, it might seem bad, but really it offers more flexibility. Being able to fix a minor issue with a phone call without the workplace being turned upside down, means he can take more time off. It's less headache before/after vacation for my dh, because he knows if they need him they'll call. And coworkers/boss are more at ease with a few days off knowing that he can chip in as needed.

I'm curious if your work place allows you to forward your work calls to your cell phone? I have a "work" number but those calls can be forwarded so I forward them to my cell phone so no one from work knows my personal cell phone number.

They actually don't. For "security purposes" we aren't permitted to forward our desk phones to our cell phones. It's locked down for all cell phones, even work issued ones! :confused3

Good points. For me, it's not so much about accessibility outside of the 9-5, but more because I'll be traveling out of state and working remotely. They can't ask me to take conference calls on my personal cell without some kind of compensation, so their way of handling that is by giving me a work cell. But, the people I work with regularly often work nights and weekends due to limited resources, which is why I know issues and things will pop up after hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter