Do you knit or crochet? Please come here.

AmberHeartsDisney

DIS Veteran
To those that crochet or knit , do you find is hardor to do one of the other?

I can crochet but just basic, (single,double,triple crochet)
But I'd like to learn to knit as well. I tried to take a class at my local craft store but sadly the teacher had to cancel due to health issues.

I learned to crochet via a you tube video but is knitting harder then crocheting?

Can anyone give me advice?

Once the teacher is better id really like to take the class.

Hi Amber- I do love knitting. Since I am a leftie, I learned by sitting across from a lady and mirrored what I saw. It took a while to catch on, but that was 30 yrs ago, and I have been going strong ever since!! Crocheting is something I never learned.

I do both, and I prefer crochet. I like that when I have to rip out, I rip back to just 1 loop.

That being said, check out About.com. There are some tutorials there that might help you pick up knitting. Also, ask around, I bet there are people that can show you the basics. It's not hard to pick up. Then it's practice, just like anything.

I do both. I learned to crochet waaay before I learned to knit. Then my friend in college tried to teach me to knit and it was very difficult. I got a booklet and learned from that and found that the continental method was MUCH easier for me to learn! My friend did the other method (english?) and held the yarn differently but continental was a lot more intuitive to me coming from a crochet standpoint. So maybe check that out!

I think it depends what you learn first. I'm a basic crocheter, (single double triple half double....I make a lot of scarves lol) I was actually just discussing this with someone the other day and she too said the continental method of knitting is easier to learn if you're used to crocheting.

I've taught myself to knit this fall using a learn to knit book. It was very easy to follow and the illustrations were quite clear. I got the set with a large book, two pairs of needles and several other items for about $12. I also have used this web site for advice and tutorials: learnhowtoknit.com. The videos are free but there is an advanced level you can purchase.

I don't hold the yarn the way they show you. I just do it so I am comfortable and I have made about a dozen items, hats and scarves for my family.

I have tried to crochet and have that book also but holding the yarn is akward for me. I'll keep trying again when I get tired of knitting. One thing about knitting is there are only two stiches to learn. Knit or purl.

I also do both, plus a lot of other crafts. I use the crochet for making wool bowls to felt afterward, everyone like these. I knit when a project inspires me. Join lionbrand web site, lots of free patterns, free videos, etc. :banana:
I knit as a young woman, and picked it back up while surviving cancer treatments, used the round looms, good tool to use to understand the knit. Then moved up to needles. And if I give only one piece of advice, is to only use circular needles, even for flat knit, as your arms and hands will thank you. Plus when putting the project down less likely to slip off.:worship:

I learned to knit (continental style) a few years ago. I love it. Can't seem to get the hang of crocheting, although I'm not giving up on it yet. I love circular needles, too, because then I don't poke those in the airplane seats on either side of me. :goodvibes

Does anyone else knit/crochet while traveling? I curisou because I'm surprised at how many random people stop to ask what I'm knitting or want to feel the yarn. Certainly is a conversation starter! :)

I learned to knit (continental style) a few years ago. I love it. Can't seem to get the hang of crocheting, although I'm not giving up on it yet. I love circular needles, too, because then I don't poke those in the airplane seats on either side of me. :goodvibes

Does anyone else knit/crochet while traveling? I curisou because I'm surprised at how many random people stop to ask what I'm knitting or want to feel the yarn. Certainly is a conversation starter! :)

I took my knitting to WDW last month, pictures of me in HS with a beer and knitting. Yes, I knit or crochet in public.:laughing:
Use YouTube for videos for most anything one needs to see to learn with yarn crafting.

I knit too! :goodvibes I throw my yarn (can never remember which method that is). I just can't get the hang of crocheting. My Mom decided a number of years ago that knitting lessons were just what a young woman wants for her birthday. I rebelled for awhile, but finally really caught on. Initially I still preferred needlepoint, but now I am an avid knitter, and have not picked up needlepoint in 2-3 years.

I take my knitting everywhere (work, vacation, long car rides, family parties). I am lucky since my Mom and other family members knit or crochet, so no one cares if I have my kntting. And bringing it to work for breaks has convinced a buch of my friends to start knitting.:yay: I am not sure some of them are so happy about it since it does get expensive. :lmao:

I just created a needlepoint dollhouse! And scored a Disney book of needlepoint patterns off Facebook's Yardsellers.

KIP - knit in public, I am a member!:dance3:

[/COLOR]
:cheer2: Nice find on the Disney book! What's the title of it?

Walt Disney CharactersNeedlepointBookcopywrite 1976
Just in b&w with color pictures to follow. Wonder when I can find time to create something.:love:

Glad this thread is still moving!

And bringing it to work for breaks has convinced a buch of my friends to start knitting.:yay: I am not sure some of them are so happy about it since it does get expensive. :lmao:

When I first started, I had no idea how expensive a yarn project can be... I am definitely a yarn clearance junkie now! That and the 40% off coupons help fill my yarn bin.

I just created a needlepoint dollhouse! And scored a Disney book of needlepoint patterns off Facebook's Yardsellers.

Pictures! Pictures please! Maybe we can keep this thread going with both tips and pictures. Would anyone like to share their finished crafts? If so, I'll upload some photos this week.

Yardsellers? What is this? I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

KIP - knit in public, I am a member!:dance3:

KIP! I love it! :woohoo:

I'm a KIP and a CIP too! I've had people come up and sit next to me and watch and chat. It's like if you are doing needlework, you are a "friendly person", and people feel comfortable telling you about their moms or grandmoms and other knitting stories...

And it's so funny how when you bring something in to work, the people all tell you if they can or cant... if they always wanted to learn... then can you teach them... I have taught a bunch of people at work how to knit and crochet. Once they start, they are hooked (pun intended :lmao:)

So, what's everyone working on?

I have 3 going. One is a crochet lace shawl that is a stay at home and concentrate project. One is a double crochet ruana that just got too big to carry around. One is my take along which is a triangle scarf in HDC started at the point and growing.

I need to restart a cabled scarf for my DB. And a cool hat (swirl) that knits like a scarf then wraps into a hat, picking up stitches to finish the top. The I can't forget the bag I am crocheting. What else? A sock monkey. Socks, gotta still learn heels. :lmao:

KIP real time.
183d9e80.png

Pic of me at HS.

So, what's everyone working on?

I have 3 going. One is a crochet lace shawl that is a stay at home and concentrate project. One is a double crochet ruana that just got too big to carry around. One is my take along which is a triangle scarf in HDC started at the point and growing.

What is the second item? Don't know ruana. Pictures? Link?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter