Do You Need to Own HHI for Spring Break?

Wendysofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
Specifically for a studio, possibly one bedroom. We had a lovely December Hilton Head stay, booked at 7 months, but it wasn't warm enough to use the pool. We did Myrtle Beach last spring break and are thinking of doing DVC HHI on alternating spring breaks, as we are closer to SC than FL. It looks like we are going to need more DVC just for the beach resorts (we went to VB right after school ended last year and are hoping to do that once every 2 years. We didn't have any issues getting VB at 7 months). If we are thinking of becoming HHI regulars, do we need to own there if we are traveling spring break week, or would it be better to get cheaper points at a Disney World resort and use them at the beach? We love SSR and own resale points there, so we would not be disappointed if we were "stuck" staying at SSR or OKW on Disney trips, but I worry about the higher dues at the beach resorts if we don't need to own there.

Specifically for a studio, possibly one bedroom. We had a lovely December Hilton Head stay, booked at 7 months, but it wasn't warm enough to use the pool. We did Myrtle Beach last spring break and are thinking of doing DVC HHI on alternating spring breaks, as we are closer to SC than FL. It looks like we are going to need more DVC just for the beach resorts (we went to VB right after school ended last year and are hoping to do that once every 2 years. We didn't have any issues getting VB at 7 months). If we are thinking of becoming HHI regulars, do we need to own there if we are traveling spring break week, or would it be better to get cheaper points at a Disney World resort and use them at the beach? We love SSR and own resale points there, so we would not be disappointed if we were "stuck" staying at SSR or OKW on Disney trips, but I worry about the higher dues at the beach resorts if we don't need to own there.
Since HHI is popular during spring break and only 21 1 bedroom/studios, then possibly.

I recently booked a HHI studio during the summer and those rooms are definitely walked at 7 months. I’d expect Spring Break to be pretty popular. Even the 1BRs were taken the majority of the days.

The point chart is interesting at HHI

Weekends are quite penalizing...

feb-mar it's only 4 more points for a 2BR vs 1BR on weekdays (24 vs 20) ( other periods are similar )

As alluded to above, there are way more 2BRs (a cast member once told me it was built around 2BR, I think all of those 21 studo/1br are lockoffs too) hence I think 2 BR are fairly available at 7 months. For the last couple of years I've been able to get a 2BR at 7 months in march... as a backup, if you can stomach the extra bedroom and 4 pts a night, it might be better than the dues :)

We really like the resort, been there a few times... only on weeknights...hehe

Good Luck!

PS Be careful with the 2BR if you have kids, it (addonitus) all started at HHI for us, ours never have to share a bed anymore, and we never have to listen them complain about it :P

Wow, I didn't realize how few studios/1 bedrooms there were. We've had April spring breaks the past couple of years, and I can't see myself spending more than 30 pts a night for a room for just the 4 of us, but if we end up with a March spring break like some of the neighboring school districts, we might just give that a try. Hopefully the kiddos will be ok with squeezing back into a studio or an OKW/SSR 1 bedroom afterwards though, lol. If it turns out we need to own there, at least the dues are less than Fort Wilderness (another resort we love).

All the studios are part of lockoffs (I believe) - as are all the one bedrooms. They are all in Oak Lodge. The vast majority of the resort is two bedrooms. I would think it would be a difficult - though obviously not impossible - reservation to get over Spring Break - and dependent on if your Spring Break happens at a popular time or is off set by a few weeks from the crowds.

Note that HHI in December and HHI during the Season are two different places. We are here now. And its quiet. You can't swim, but you can get dinner reservations easily. The beach is a few people walking and some dogs. Traffic is light. Restaurants are full of people in their 50s and older. I've been here in the Summer and its a whole different place - more young adults drinking. More families. A full beach - so many heads bobbing in the ocean that you can knock skulls as the surf comes in. Full restaurants. Too many cars on too few roads. People EVERYWHERE. I love HHI in the Winter....I will never again come here in the Summer. I haven't been over Spring Break, but the natives are busy getting ready for the Season to start next week and tell me its going to get a lot busier quickly. So before you invest in points, take that Spring Break trip and make sure you still think that HHI is the place you want to be at that time of year. Also, this is an island of short term rental property - the Disney resort is great - and its quiet and tucked back and feels like "somewhere else" - but there are plenty of rentals on other parts of the island - some with better beach access - that might be worth exploring.

Wow, I didn't realize how few studios/1 bedrooms there were. We've had April spring breaks the past couple of years, and I can't see myself spending more than 30 pts a night for a room for just the 4 of us, but if we end up with a March spring break like some of the neighboring school districts, we might just give that a try. Hopefully the kiddos will be ok with squeezing back into a studio or an OKW/SSR 1 bedroom afterwards though, lol. If it turns out we need to own there, at least the dues are less than Fort Wilderness (another resort we love).
March spring break at HHI is too cold to swim. There may be people who say otherwise but those people are probably Canadian. Most people have jackets on at HH in March.

Or just use to swimming in Maine/Massachusetts water..... 🏊‍♂️ I have pictures of my girls going into the ocean in Maine in December.
I wish we could do that but no way. It is true that in HH you will see one or two people going into the water in March but for the most part the beach is completely empty. It is also very windy which makes it hard to even sit on the beach. It surprises me how much more pleasant it is in Vero in March because they are not that far apart on the east coast but might as well be another world.

there are plenty of rentals on other parts of the island - some with better beach access - that might be worth exploring.
Heck, there are also plenty of timeshares with better beach access that might be worth exploring. We stayed at Royal Dunes in season on an RCI exchange several years back. All of the units are 3BRs, and it is one (longish) block to Islanders Beach. It was very pleasant, and it is far from the best timesahre option on the island.

None of the "non-park" DVC resorts are all that compelling compared to others nearby (being somewhat generous with the definition of "nearby" in Hawaii, because there I am thinking of other islands). The resorts are lovely, but they are expensive even on the resale market, and not always in the best location. HHI is inside the ring road, Aulani is on the 'wrong" island (at least for me), and Vero is a bit too far north to really pull off a beach vacation during my "spring" break--which is right now.

Canadian here,,,no issue swimming March break,,,if there is no ice,,,jump in

I was in the pool here yesterday - today its cold and windy - even for Minnesota me. But the pool is heated and the loungers were occupied. Most days there have been kids - and sometimes adults - in the pool at the resort and at the Beach House. Most years I have shorts on sometime near the beach and get in at least to my knees, but haven't bothered this year.

(And heck, if there is ice, chop a hole in it and jump in - as long as you have a sauna tent on shore)

Heck, there are also plenty of timeshares with better beach access that might be worth exploring. We stayed at Royal Dunes in season on an RCI exchange several years back. All of the units are 3BRs, and it is one (longish) block to Islanders Beach. It was very pleasant, and it is far from the best timesahre option on the island.

None of the "non-park" DVC resorts are all that compelling compared to others nearby (being somewhat generous with the definition of "nearby" in Hawaii, because there I am thinking of other islands). The resorts are lovely, but they are expensive even on the resale market, and not always in the best location. HHI is inside the ring road, Aulani is on the 'wrong" island (at least for me), and Vero is a bit too far north to really pull off a beach vacation during my "spring" break--which is right now.
Agree, Kauai or bust for me :-) And the Vero location has always been a huge question mark. It's on the wrong side of the state, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter