Does anyone else hate they keep going back to the same restaurants?

Sebastian's really is amazing
So funny how different experiences can be. Sebastian's is the worst meal I have had in any restaurant EVER. Not just at Disney but anywhere anytime. It was awful, from food to service. Only saving grace was the dessert, though we hardly got any of it. The server brought out a portion that was enough for one person - for four adults. It was a joke. After being told we could not get more of the food they originally served us until we ate everything on the whole platter (like what??? we did not like the cold chicken and weren't going to eat it), we decided to just cut our losses and leave. Never again, even if it were free.

I don't care for AYCE so I try to avoid them as I won't eat that much and I certainly don't want to pay for items I wouldn't order. I do wish LTT would bring back the lunch menu though. We had a terrific lunch there before they went back to the fixed menu a few years ago.

We also try to mix it up wit a combination of eating at several of our favorites and trying new places each visit.

In September, some of our meals were...
Topolino's (first time)
Sanaa (repeat favorite)
Maria & Enzo's (first time)
The Edison (repeat favorite)

In January...
Summer House on the Lake (first time)
The Boathouse (repeat favorite)
Wine Bar George (first time)
Portillo's (repeat favorite - off site)
Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen (first time)

Hopefully it's not poor form to quote myself... I was just thinking about our next trip and in keeping with the theme of this discussion we will probably eat at Sanaa again (we're staying at AKV) and maybe a return to Boma and/or Jiko (haven't been in a while), but interested in checking out Toledo and maybe Flying Fish this time (been wanting to go for a while, but it never seems to work out).

Liberty Tree Tavern is at the top of that list, although I think I will get an ADR for Diamond Horseshoe next time just to mix it up :)
Really branching out there, aren't ya? :)

Honestly the food is very similar at those two. We ate at Diamond Horseshoe one Thanksgiving and really like it.

Really branching out there, aren't ya? :)

Honestly the food is very similar at those two. We ate at Diamond Horseshoe one Thanksgiving and really like it.
LOL! But I haven't been inside there since the 90s when they had snacks and a show. That's why I get to count it as somewhere new:)

I always have a hard time squeezing in something new while fitting in my favorite's. It doesn’t help that we have a DD19 and then a DS9 and DD6. We did all the character meals when DD19 was younger and now we are doing them all over again for the little kids.

Ohana was a must do years ago before DD19 turned to adult prices. She always ordered chicken nuggets so there was no way I was paying adult prices for her at Ohana. We haven’t been in 10 years. I just booked it for our upcoming trip. Hope it’s not disappointing.

Some of my favorites include Narcossee, Crystal Palace breakfast, CRT, Ohana, Liberty Tree Tavern, Sci-fi and GFC breakfast. We are trying to do a lite adr trip next month and so far I only booked Chef Mickey, Ohana, and GFC brunch. Our new try is going to be Artist Point. I want to squeeze that one in before DS9 goes to adult prices next year.

We tend to try a new resort most years so I usually try to pick the table service at the resort as our new option. I am so tempted to add a few more meals but we can always look for cancellations the day of or night before.

We are skipping Crystal Palace this year now that the Pooh’s French toast is gone. That was my favorite!

Hopefully it's not poor form to quote myself... I was just thinking about our next trip and in keeping with the theme of this discussion we will probably eat at Sanaa again (we're staying at AKV) and maybe a return to Boma and/or Jiko (haven't been in a while), but interested in checking out Toledo and maybe Flying Fish this time (been wanting to go for a while, but it never seems to work out).
Toledo is pretty good. Iv been staying at CS lately and is stays open late and is convenient. FF is a long time favorite but can be a bit loud if you’re sensitive to that.

We have our repeats but we like to add in a new one just about every trip.

We have been DVC for about 5 years and my DW and I are finally empty nesters as of last month. We typically do 3 night stays to get away 7-8 months a year and a couple of those used to include our DD or DS. The restaurant choices are typically different when they are around. However one restaurant or resort that always makes our trip is RIV. We stay there 70% of the time and even when we are not there we think about going for a meal. The quick service is one of the best on property especially when they give you real plates and silver ware. I swear it makes it tastes better. The plastic stuff makes me feel like I’m back in my dorm at college 🤪. Bar Riva has great drinks and the best salmon on property IMHO. Hard to beat lemon orzo and salmon. Top for breakfast is great, now that it’s just us I wish there was a non character side of the restaurant. That’s how good the food is though, I would go just for the food. Dinner has been amazing most times when we go. They do serve the best dirty martini with blue cheese olives on property though. Their wine selection for dinner is strong too if you care about that stuff. Appetizer of ricotta is a must every time. The mains change out over time but all have been good. Back to your original question be adventurous, do some research, YouTube has reviews on any place you would want to try. Just try and pick a reviewer that has similar taste to your party. Some of them haven’t grown into their tastebuds yet 😂.

So funny how different experiences can be. Sebastian's is the worst meal I have had in any restaurant EVER. Not just at Disney but anywhere anytime. It was awful, from food to service. Only saving grace was the dessert, though we hardly got any of it. The server brought out a portion that was enough for one person - for four adults. It was a joke. After being told we could not get more of the food they originally served us until we ate everything on the whole platter (like what??? we did not like the cold chicken and weren't going to eat it), we decided to just cut our losses and leave. Never again, even if it were free.
We tried Sebastian's for the first time in December and it was the worst meal of our trip. The place smelled strongly of fish and the food was flavorless. Service was fine and the dessert was good but that was it. We don't plan on going again.

So sorry to hear, I;ve been there 3 times now and everytime it has been good, even a picky eater friend loved it. I'm assuming the server had a major impact.

Our new try is going to be Artist Point. I want to squeeze that one in before DS9 goes to adult prices next year.
We tried the Storybook Dining at Artist's Point on our last trip in November 2022 on a trip with DW, DD3.5 at the time, and DW's sister and her family. Our nieces were, I think 7 and 10 at the time, give or take. Our younger niece is a very picky eater but everyone else, including DD, enjoyed every single dish.

As a side note, I like the taste but absolutely hate the texture of mushrooms, but the mushroom soup that is part of the appetizer course is so finely pureed that I finished every last bit and ate our younger nieces when she refused to eat it and nobody else wanted it. It was a hard ADR to get, hope it works out for you.

Our 60 day window opened this morning, and we were fortunate to get everything we wanted. The new restaurant for us will be the Roundup Rodeo BBQ. The reviews haven't been very flattering, but we going anyway.

We have 3 ressies that are new/old: 'Ohana, Le Cellier, and Garden Grill. We've not been to those places since the early 80s.

Our 60 day window opened this morning, and we were fortunate to get everything we wanted. The new restaurant for us will be the Roundup Rodeo BBQ. The reviews haven't been very flattering, but we going anyway.

We have 3 ressies that are new/old: 'Ohana, Le Cellier, and Garden Grill. We've not been to those places since the early 80s.
We're planning on 'Ohana and Garden Grill, we opted not to do RoundUp Rodeo due to the reviews. I haven't seen any recent Garden Grill reviews since they changed the menu in November. Really would love to see some pictures of the "seasonal vegetable" and "seasonal pie"....We usually love Garden Grill, hoping it didn't change too much.

As my 60 day is approaching, I've been looking at my list and realize it's filled with are usual go-tos. I decided we needed a least one new one, so I added a breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno. We did a bunch of new places in December and saved our "usuals" for our upcoming April trip.

As my 60 day is approaching, I've been looking at my list and realize it's filled with are usual go-tos. I decided we needed a least one new one, so I added a breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno. We did a bunch of new places in December and saved our "usuals" for our upcoming April trip.
What places are you planning for @ UOR? I'm really looking forward to Mythos. This will be our very first trip to UOR.

Our favorites are Beach’s & Cream, GF Cafe, Kona, Rose & Crown, Yak & Yeti and Rainforest (for the kids). We always end up at the same quick service places; Columbia Harbor House, Casey’s and ABC. I am trying to add new places to the list and leave out some favorites this trip. I am hoping to book Space 220 lounge, SiFi, and Topolinos.

What places are you planning for @ UOR? I'm really looking forward to Mythos. This will be our very first trip to UOR.
We're arriving on April 6 to Universal but not going into the parks until the 7th. I'm not sure where we're going to eat on the 6th. I have a reservation at Cowfish for dinner on April 7th. My DS-27 loves their sushi. I think mostly we're going to do Mardi Gras food for lunch on April 7 since that's the last day of the festival. We really enjoyed Mythos in 2022 and I'm toying with booking lunch there for April 8.

So sorry to hear, I;ve been there 3 times now and everytime it has been good, even a picky eater friend loved it. I'm assuming the server had a major impact.
I think so, too. The food was kind of cold when we got it. We asked our server not to bring the chicken because we knew no one would eat it, he still did. We asked for more of the steak and pork to make up for it and he told us we had to eat everything on the platter before he could bring more and then walked away and we didn't see him for about 30 minutes, so we asked another server if we could get more food. She must have found our server and he came back, and did bring more of what we wanted at that point, though it took about another 15 minutes. We could hear his other tables complaining about him, too. It was just bad overall and the food (probably because of him) was just okay - at best. We were really looking forward to going because of all the good reviews I've read here. Won't go back, but I'm glad others enjoy it!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter