• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does Disneyland need strategy?

Sometimes it's just to dip their toes in the water to see how things go. We've had reports here from WDW vets who were convinced that they weren't going to care for DLR at all, so they didn't really invest in their trip here -- not much planning, not much time. And... they ended up liking it so much that they planned a return trip. And another return trip... And now they go back and forth between both coasts. Some people are belly flop folks -- they just throw themselves into whatever they're doing -- full immersion or nothing! But other people need more time to process and try out someplace/something new. Some posters here report just falling in love with DLR. And others say that because it isn't WDW 2.0, they're never coming back. Everyone is different, and we're fine with that here. As long as they gave DLR a fair shake, they are entitled to their opinion. (It's the unfair reports that get people going around here! Whole 'nother story...) Room for one and all on these boards!

The more I plan my first trip out there and more research I do the more I start to wonder if I will end up liking it better than WDW. At the very least I can see that each has a lot to offer on its own but DLR is sounding more and more my speed

One tip for a future visit: DLR holds some reservations for on site hotel guests, so you can ask the hotel concierge to find you a PS reservation at BB or any other TS restaurant. Also, the Dine Line can help on site guests with reservations. But I'm glad you found some pixie dust and got a table as a walk up!
Yes, thanks. We have used that in the past. We just don't like having to be somewhere at a specific time on vacation, other that to catch the flights there and home. We just timed it right at BB because there were 2 people in the waiting area, we counted 10 empty tables in our area when we were seated at 7:30 pm. By the time we left the waiting area was full, but several tables were still empty

Is that the magic of Disneyland?

Yes-- that is absolutely the magic of Disneyland. No excessive planning required, no constantly watching the clock while you are there, everything is within walking distance, no need to plan to the minute and no FP+ stress. Flexibility!!! You can go wherever the day takes you!!! Max Pass makes it even better!!! It is having the old FP system at the tip of your fingers without having to run from machine to machine and being able to book your next one right after scanning your last one. One morning in July, DD and I were going from ride to ride at DL with no lines just grabbing the next FP nearby that was available. It was great!

The more I plan my first trip out there and more research I do the more I start to wonder if I will end up liking it better than WDW. At the very least I can see that each has a lot to offer on its own but DLR is sounding more and more my speed

We are long time WDW vets, and we have fallen in LOVE with DLR. We have been alternating. The only thing we really miss from WDW while we are at DLR is WS in EPCOT. Outside of WS, it would be hard for me to get DH to WDW because DLR is so much easier and so much more relaxed. Last July, we wound up cancelling a couple of our dining reservations (well technically our WOC dessert party was cancelled for us since WOC broke, but we cancelled one or two others) and just went where the day took us not even worrying about getting to a meal on time. It was fantastic!

We basically plan what dining reservations we want, whether we want to do Fantasmic (which we only do with a dining reservation), and then if there is a really popular ride or character at that point, we come up with a plan for that. Incredicoaster was the big thing this summer when we were there and DD was too chicken to ride it, so we did not even plan that in advance and DH and I just picked up a FP for it through Max Pass on a whim one day. So much easier with the one at a time FPs instead of everyone going to the park taking up 3 before they even get there like at WDW. It's so easy as DLR!

Yes-- that is absolutely the magic of Disneyland. No excessive planning required, no constantly watching the clock while you are there, everything is within walking distance, no need to plan to the minute and no FP+ stress. Flexibility!!! You can go wherever the day takes you!!! Max Pass makes it even better!!! It is having the old FP system at the tip of your fingers without having to run from machine to machine and being able to book your next one right after scanning your last one. One morning in July, DD and I were going from ride to ride at DL with no lines just grabbing the next FP nearby that was available. It was great!

We are long time WDW vets, and we have fallen in LOVE with DLR. We have been alternating. The only thing we really miss from WDW while we are at DLR is WS in EPCOT. Outside of WS, it would be hard for me to get DH to WDW because DLR is so much easier and so much more relaxed. Last July, we wound up cancelling a couple of our dining reservations (well technically our WOC dessert party was cancelled for us since WOC broke, but we cancelled one or two others) and just went where the day took us not even worrying about getting to a meal on time. It was fantastic!

We basically plan what dining reservations we want, whether we want to do Fantasmic (which we only do with a dining reservation), and then if there is a really popular ride or character at that point, we come up with a plan for that. Incredicoaster was the big thing this summer when we were there and DD was too chicken to ride it, so we did not even plan that in advance and DH and I just picked up a FP for it through Max Pass on a whim one day. So much easier with the one at a time FPs instead of everyone going to the park taking up 3 before they even get there like at WDW. It's so easy as DLR!

It's been sort of surreal for me because I initially began tackling my DLR trip the same as WDW, with a massive excel sheet etc haha. And now I am at the point where I need to get my Halloween Party tickets when they announce them next year and make dining reservations and thats it. The rest will be winging it based on EMH, MM, and crowds

World Showcase will definitely keep me going back to WDW as will AK. But I think I will end up doing shorter trips to WDW and adding in a DLR every year as well

Yes and no. If you're only there for a day or two, then yes. If you're there for 3+ days, I'd say no. Park hopping also must be taken into account. Are you going to be going between DL/DCA? If you are, you've just opened up an entire new park to experience. FastPass/MaxPass is a must at this point. I always use FP when I go down there and would never go back to just waiting in standby for everything.

It's been sort of surreal for me because I initially began tackling my DLR trip the same as WDW, with a massive excel sheet etc haha. And now I am at the point where I need to get my Halloween Party tickets when they announce them next year and make dining reservations and thats it. The rest will be winging it based on EMH, MM, and crowds
That's me, too. Our first trip to DL, we did no research at all and had a great time but realized that knowing about things would have been better than just showing up. The following year, we did WDW and I planned the bejeezus out of it. Our next trip to DL, I planned the same way and then realized that doing so was a huge waste of time. It's so much easier to do DL!

I feel like the planning I did for DL prepared me for being able to plan at WDW. These boards were super helpful for both parks and I am a planner by nature. I love to plan trips, research make a loose schedule.... I like to think of it as scheduled/planned free time. It helps with my anxiety in new places. That said, after planning WDW in 2016 and switching back to DL this year, I keep feeling like I am missing something. DL just doesn't require the same kind of thought process WDW does so by being more relaxed about it, I worry I will forgot something. But it is nice not to have to over plan which park on what day seeing as park hopping is so much easier at DL. It is easy to go with the flow and adapt to changes due to unforeseen things that come up.

WDW vet just returned from DL. Really did not do any planning other than getting 4 day park hoppers with max pass. In my opinion, DL does not require the same type of "commando" plannng as WDW.
Have to say, LOVED max pass. Well worth the extra $10.00 dollars. I would image its only a matter of time before Disney realizes the value and increases the price. We also stayed @ the Grand Californian which allowed for
early entry, another helpful situation to fit everything in.

We did DLR for the first time this past August. We had 5 day hoppers and MaxPass. I did a touring plan each day and we got a ton done. However, MaxPass makes a touring strategy unnecessary but I also think a good touring plan can really help if you’re looking to do a lot. Using our plan we really avoided all lines the entire trip and had extra time to re-ride our favorites over and over.

Our trip to Disneyland is only a small part of our itinerary for our trip out west.

We will be in Arizona for three days visiting my mother-in-law who is not well, along with other family members. Then we are driving to California and checking into the Disneyland Hotel which will be our home base. DD is an actress in NYC and is looking into relocating to California at some point. We will be exploring other parts of Orange County checking out different areas and looking into housing for a couple of days. Originally, we planned on checking into a different hotel for those days, but we wanted to stay in one place in California, and since we love Disney, we chose the Disneyland Hotel. We only have a couple of days left to actually enjoy Disneyland, two of which will be park days, and the last, a relaxing Cabana day at the pool. With all of the running around we will be doing on this trip, we will need a day to crash before checking out the following day and flying home to Connecticut.

Yes and no. If you're only there for a day or two, then yes. If you're there for 3+ days, I'd say no. Park hopping also must be taken into account. Are you going to be going between DL/DCA? If you are, you've just opened up an entire new park to experience. FastPass/MaxPass is a must at this point. I always use FP when I go down there and would never go back to just waiting in standby for everything.

We went to Disneyland almost 6 years ago. I have clients that are going in February, can you give my more information about MaxPass and how it works once in the parks? TIA!

I appreciate your information a lot. I'm a group A WDW veteran, and I'm feeling uncomfortable right now. Our stay at Disneyland Hotel is during Easter week, arriving the evening of Palm Sunday, and checking out on the Saturday before Easter. We basically have 5 days there. I read somewhere that unlike WDW, Mondays are crowded in Disneyland, and we are better off being in the park on Wednesdays and Thursdays. We plan on exploring Seal Beach on Monday; taking a tour bus from Anaheim to Hollywood and hitting the hot spots on Tuesday(still have to find the right tour for us); exploring Disneyland on Wednesday and Thursday mornings beginning at rope drop, afternoon at the pool (No, we are not doing California Adventure, don't want to); and relaxing at our resort on Friday, pool, etc. I'm hoping at some point to enjoy Trader Sam's. We missed out when staying at the Polynesian in July because we just never got around to it. I'm looking at restaurants to reserve now, but I feel weird without our Disney Dining Plan. Figuring out a budget for meals is freaking me out. Normally, we do DDP and don't think about it. Can I get Max Pass before we leave? Not doing FP+ at home is also making me wonder how it will all go. I know nothing about Disneyland except that the castle is smaller.
Just curious, but why aren’t you doing California Adventure?

We went to Disneyland almost 6 years ago. I have clients that are going in February, can you give my more information about MaxPass and how it works once in the parks? TIA!

Well, MaxPass is like the FastPass system, but just digitized. It costs $10 per person, per day, and you use it with the Disneyland app on your phone once you enter the parks. You can digitally reserve a spot in the FastPass line (there's no separate queue for MaxPass. It is essentially FastPass on your phone). I don't remember exactly how many you can get in a time period, but it explains it all once you have it set up.

I mean I think anything needs a basic strategy. If you are a local then no because you do whatever you want cuz you'll always be able to go again for the stuff you didn't do. But for people who don't go often I think you def need some sort of idea of how you want to tackle the day. It doesn't need to be super strict but you can be like okay I want to do this this and this on this day and maybe figure out when you want to do it. Max Pass is going to help a lot.

And even locals can have a strategy -- when we visit, we usually have a general idea of what we want to ride, where we want to eat, or what we want to buy. Or if we just want to play everything by ear (which is in itself a kind of let-the-magic-find-you strategy). A "strategy" is more of a mindset: for some people it can be very rigid and thorough, for others it can be very general and fluid, and for others it can be sort of in between. As long as it works well for you, great! The trouble starts when people choose the wrong strategy for their touring style or don't know which strategy is right for them. And as long as people know that a WDW strategy isn't the same thing as a DLR strategy (and that's a good thing! there's nothing wrong with that!), everything can be good.

Thanks for your opinion. I think that we have differing touring styles.

We are not interested in Cars land or any of the other attractions in DCA. Believe me, I've already researched it and consulted my family.

Anyway, we are happiest touring parks in the morning; afternoon breaks in the pool; signature dining at night. Our resort day will most likely consist of me renting a cabana and relaxing there all day. With DTD so close, I can see DH popping over there a lot. I definitely want to spend time at Trader Sam's.
You should seriously reconsider visiting DCA.

Thanks everyone!

We have a general plan of the things we want to accomplish and everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter