Does the new Genie+ pay-per-attraction system alter your views on DVC's value?

IMHO, the introduction of Genie+ has absolutely no impact on my DVC experience. DVC for me is just where I stay. Its got nothing to do with visiting the individual parks.
DVC is where you stay, but you pay this premium to stay close to theme parks--but if your theme parks price you out, doesn't that affect where you stay? As someone pointed out, Doubletree Suites has 1BRs for $120per night including fees...

Most of the moves Disney has made recently has done nothing but eliminate the benefits of staying on property, so how could anyone say anything other than, yes DVC is also lost it's luster.

A family of 4 staying for a week now has to shell out $600 for things that were included pre covid (Bus/FP/Magic Band). Unless you are staying deluxe, there is zero benefit. Even what is allegedly going to happen almost seems unenforceable. How are they going to differentiate between guests in the park that are staying in deluxe resorts? That just seems like a benefit on paper only, much like getting in the parks 30 minutes early, which is what everyone was unofficially able to do regardless.

The only thing that could reasonably salvage this is if they included Genie+ with the deluxe resorts like Universal does.

To Disney,
I hope this gets read somewhere important. Doubt it will. I can’t speak for anyone on this board. But with regards to my family/touring group, you have effectively alienated all of us. We have been going annually for 30+ years and have spent an ungodly amount of money at WDW. And we have done so happily. Not anymore. Between this summer’s trip (where you were a shell of your former self, which we expected and accepted, but you still decided to raise capacity past the point where you could handle it appropriately). You have raised our costs while not enhancing the magic. In fact, you have taken away a lot of the magic due to your own “cost cutting.” And now, you have forced upon us price gouging tactics that are typically reserved for other areas of the industry. You have always strived to be different then the other amusement parks and to offer your customers MORE. That isn’t the case anymore. You are now clearly working to BECOME those amusement parks that you worked so hard for 70+ years to seperate yourself from. You offer us less, charge more and cut your own costs. Well, we have to cut costs too. And you have proven that you don’t care if we hold onto you during these tough times. We wanted to continue to go every year, but we keep having to add more and more to our yearly trip budgets, especially next year’s trip, without getting anything extra in return. In fact, we’re now paying huge costs for things that we’re once free (you couldn’t even throw us a bone by giving DVC and AP holders a promised free lightning pass or two?!) This is being done to the point where we don’t feel it is worth it anymore, as we are getting no more then we did in previous years (we’re actually getting less). It’s
not a fair transaction anymore Disney, in our view. Therefor, we won’t be going for a long while. I hope the board eventually forces out Bob Chapek and installs somehow who can re-ignite the previous culture’s that existed with Disney’s organization. One that is actually guest experience and park centric, and not one that is so eager to push Disney to become fully corporate focused while undoing a lot of the magic we love. We need MORE magic, not less. This genie app is an example of corporate magic, which is not the kind of magic we need, or deserve.

Sincerely,
One of your longest, oldest, consistent, high spending (and potentially former) customers.

Well said! :)

On Tuesday I was joking around with my dad about the ridiculous Very Merriest ticket prices. We have our first trip to Hilton Head planned for January (couldn’t resist those low point Grand Villas!), and I said “geez maybe we will just have to start using more of our points at Hilton Head or Aulani!”

Then this news dropped yesterday and I realized maybe I wasn’t that far off…

This was the first time since buying in 2018 that my sister and I could have made use of an AP had they been available. The daily upcharge for Genie+ certainly makes those a little less appealing in the future; I can see us going back to our once every 18-24 months visits. However, we all strongly disliked FP+, so I’m open to the idea that maybe this will be an improvement 🤷🏻‍♀️

It’s Disneyland (I’m local) where I am most concerned about value. I paid $699 for a FlexPass with added MaxPass in June of 2019. It served me extremely well. I just don’t see paying $1399 plus $20/day being worth it to achieve a similar experience.

Yes!

I love the Genie+ concept.

I’m all about the rides so I’m happy to pay a little more for less competition. Disney’s still not getting more of my money though. The budget is set and it looks like I’ll just spend less on food or whatever else. Oh well!

They can slap whatever name they want on it. We are paying more, getting less. It’s the same general idea as FP+ of pre-selecting rides, just worse. The guise of helping make it a better experience is smoke in mirrors. This is just another Cheap-ek era decision to eliminate a “complimentary” service or perk that was stealthily built-in to your overall cost. The catch is, if you’re still in need of the perk, like FastPass, MDE, Magic Bands, EMH, you now have to pay more. Your overall cost just increased while their level of service decreased. It wreaks of greed and nothing more.

DVC is where you stay, but you pay this premium to stay close to theme parks--but if your theme parks price you out, doesn't that affect where you stay? As someone pointed out, Doubletree Suites has 1BRs for $120per night including fees...

We bought DVC as part of our retirement plan to be in FL to escape the winters here in CNY. So, park aside, it works as well and wasn't the commitment of buying a condo. Something like a Doubletree would not be the same and never worth it for us.

But, for young families, I can see this being something that could really change buying into DVC right now. TBH, for guests who decide to come with us and get multi day tickets, I will probably advise against the PH and just do this instead...cost will be similar. It will change how we tour with them, but it would work as well as just doing stand by.

I do not think the night hours are temporary. I think they are here to stay for deluxe guests. It could be why they added them...Those paying higher hotel have an option to get those top tier rides in without paying extra since they really are already based on room costs.

This is the announcement from Disney. It could be read either way, but I guess the way things have been going I tend to read their releases as "glass half full" Hopefully I'm wrong.

With the kickoff of the 50th anniversary, enjoy extended evening hours on select evenings in select theme parks when you stay at a Disney Deluxe Resort or, Disney Deluxe Villa Resort or other select hotels. This exciting benefit begins in October 2021—so you can celebrate the spectacular 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort!

We have as of late decided to not buy into it. We are saddened at the current state of Disney World. Oure recent 10 day trip in August was amazing but had this "difficulty". Being a DVC member I would imagine you want less Difficulty's, but you do not receive special park tickets, fast passes, better dining reservations, park reservations.
All you really get is a room.
Once magical express goes away forever now you have to find your own ride.

This is the announcement from Disney. It could be read either way, but I guess the way things have been going I tend to read their releases as "glass half full" Hopefully I'm wrong.

If it was not going to be something that stays, I really think we would have seen the words "for a limited time". To me, the way it reads is clear it is simply not starting until October 1st, but will be something available from now on. Plus, the wording from DVC that we are now part of the program also would have mentioned it being temporary.

This Genie cluster is offset by the late night deluxe only hours IMO. That’s such a small group, those hours are a huge Improvement on the previous EMH and enough to ride the big ticket rides for me.
I’m on the fence on how this impacts my plans. AP and rope drop runaway railway and leave doesn’t even makes sense anymore. If AP includes genie+, or you can upgrade to genie plus, I think I happy with this. I could never get a fast pass to Snow White anyway.
I agree, IF they expand the late night deluxe hours to the other parks. Otherwise, I'm not sure I want a week at Disney for only two nights of perks.
I hope the board eventually forces out Bob Chapek and installs somehow who can re-ignite the previous culture’s that existed with Disney’s organization. One that is actually guest experience and park centric, and not one that is so eager to push Disney to become fully corporate focused while undoing a lot of the magic we love. We need MORE magic, not less. This genie app is an example of corporate magic, which is not the kind of magic we need, or deserve.
Sincerely,
One of your longest, oldest, consistent, high spending (and potentially former) customers.
Your letter made me think about how Walt wanted to create something really different than the typical amusement park. I'm not liking how Voldemo...ehm... I mean, Chapek is running things so far.

Realistically, I'm not going to stop going to WDW. Sitting at my desk at home, this makes me angry.

But I know that when I'm strolling along the Poly beach or Walking Right Down the Middle of Main Street U.S.A. I'll still feel the magic. And my kids won't know any better anyway. So we'll keep going, and either spending more, or getting less (or both).

Realistically, I'm not going to stop going to WDW. Sitting at my desk at home, this makes me angry.

But I know that when I'm strolling along the Poly beach or Walking Right Down the Middle of Main Street U.S.A. I'll still feel the magic. And my kids won't know any better anyway. So we'll keep going, and either spending more, or getting less (or both).
I think this is exactly what Disney executives are expecting will happen, even with those who are angry at the changes. They will win in the end by making us all spend more for less, until maybe some day they reach a tipping point.

Your letter made me think about how Walt wanted to create something really different than the typical amusement park. I'm not liking how Voldemo...ehm... I mean, Chapek is running things so far.

Making poor executive decisions is something Chapek has been good at lately, with regards to Disney and how we expect things to be run. That will always happen with any good or bad CEO though and is to be expected. No one is perfect.

What worries me about Chapek though, is the culture that he is shaping at Disney from the top down. We all know he is a cost slasher and a numbers guy. But the culture of cost cutting and rewarding cost cutting initiatives can have huge impacts across the board in many ways, which is a worse scenario then one off bad executive decisions and this is what I think we are seeing here with Disney since he took over. I could be wrong though, I’m basing this off of what we’ve seen and randomly sourced anecdotal reports from people within the company.

We were huge fans of MaxPass so were actually hoping this was coming. Many theme parks already charge for fast pass - and a LOT. For large families it sure could get pricey (though in theory they could just do the paid product for some/none of the days). We were in WDW in July and I just couldn't do 40+ min waits in uncovered frying heat so just missed out on a few rides. I'm just happy to have any fast pass system returning and one that resembles MaxPass... Excited! Taking my 79 year old parents next July who are not disabled and don't want to make them suffer in that heat either. But... wish it was free to AP and wish those staying on-site had more perks. If the extra 30 mins morning and/or evening hours stay, that works!

Just bought into DVC 4 months ago so this stings a bit, but I dont think it makes me regret getting DVC. But we did get it to go to the parks and stay in nice accomidations.

Im not sure how the Genie+ is going to work out, The parks were getting really crowded before the pandemic and it was hard to get fast passes even at 2 months. So that worries me, if it will still be hard to get the new Fastpass(lightning Pass) for allot of rides and now were paying extra for it. It kind of seems like there will be days were your only going to get 1 or 2 fastpass's for rides you didnt need them on.

I hate the 7am thing, it takes allot for us to get our family to the parks by Rope Drop, We usually never make it, always 20 to 40 minutes late. So i see myself trying to get that first fast pass while on the bus at 8:30, so im worried most good rides will be gone by then, or only available really late in the day. So im not feeling like its going to be a good value for us, but at the same time it still seems like a neccasity and will still pay for it.

If it gets really bad, i might have to start staying at DVC but go to Universal and Seaworld more often. Its funny because Universal kind of priced me out with express pass as going for one day can be over $300 per person. I love universal, just so much for one day if you get the express pass. But now i might have to go more often as im paying more for Disney Parks.

Who knows, maybe there will be nice dicounts for DVC members with the new Genie+ or hopefully ticket/AP discounts to help offset things.

I think right now, Disney isnt worried about the backlash, even if a small amount of people stop going to the parks they have plenty of people still going so there going to grab as much money as they can.
They really dont have to much competition to take away people, maybe when Universal opens there 4th park, but until then Disney is squeezing us for all they can get.
We also just bought into DVC last year and I have been waiting to purchase AP's when new ones went on sale. But now does it make sense to buy them along with the added LL expense or do we just do more resort stays and less park time? What are everyone's thoughts?

We also just bought into DVC last year and I have been waiting to purchase AP's when new ones went on sale. But now does it make sense to buy them along with the added LL expense or do we just do more resort stays and less park time? What are everyone's thoughts?
I'm wondering this also. Costwise, yes it makes sense to do more resort stays if you'd be happy with that.
ETA: some folks seem to get DVC just to stay at resorts and drop into the parks sometimes. DVC retirement plans for instance. I suspect that's a minority of people--the parks are the reason the WDW resorts are way more expensive than say VB or HHI.

So many interesting thoughts here. Sometimes I just wish Disney would stop with the teasers & give us all the info at once… like will any WDW AP’s come with Genie+? Or as an add-on option (like maxpass)? What about DVC members? Virtual queues vs LL? This 7am business? All. Of. It.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter