Dog Aggression

It was a golden retriever that bit my son in the face at the outlet mall when he was three. Any breed can be aggressive.
But it’s less likely than certain breeds. Also seems like odd circumstances imo without knowing any other details.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I may echo others. I don't feel that all is lost. Have him neutered. Our 1 year old golden was becoming aggressive toward some dogs and neutering definitely helped. The breeder wanted us to hold of until 18 months, but that would have made him even worse.

If he is being aggressive towards the kids, he is trying to establish himself as the pack leader. He needs to understand he is lowest on the totem pole. I don't know how old the kids are but I would have them totally ignore him and never sit on the floor when he is around. They should be taller and above him. He must work for everything he gets - food, water. He sits and waits for his food and doesn't eat until you release him. Don't give him full freedom in the house. Put him on a four foot leash and tether him to you. Where you go, he goes. He has to earn privileges. No amount of yelling works. It's just noise. Find a correction word (besides "no". I use "enough" or sound I use ACK) and be consistent using it so he knows that is not the behavior you want. When he does good he gets lavish praise and treats.

Find a good trainer and work with them consistently. I would go the positive route first or the most I would use is a pinch collar, but you need to be able to use it correctly and effectively.

Dogs like kids go through phases at certain age. About the time you get them figured out they are onto something else.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thank you all for taking the time to comment. It has given me some perspective, and also some hope. I suffer from anxiety which he has definitely helped, until this situation.

What I am reading is that we are doing a lot of things right with him, and there are areas to improve and new things to try. 12 more days until the trainer comes for the evaluation. I wish it was sooner. He got fixed yesterday and is miserable. He just wanted us to snuggle him. I’m really hoping he can be our forever dog.

If you haven't gotten Good Owners, Great Dogs, order and read it asap. It will help you with some of these issues.

I know he's just had surgery, but even so, no free hugs for him right now, he has to earn them. See the post above yours, and Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson discuss this in the book, too, calling them "doggie push ups".

In the dog's eyes, your hugging him for no reason puts him above you. That has to change. Everything is on your terms. And that goes for everyone in the household, you all have to be consistent with this.

It's not as bad as it sounds; it just becomes a way of life. When he does what you want, you praise him. Verbally makes life easier. "Good boy." Always and immediately, so he begins to make the connection that you approve. When he doesn't do what you want, or does what you don't want, say No, or make the ACK noise above (I do those two things too) so it gets his attention and he stops. Then you make him do what you want, and when he does, you immediately praise. Each lesson ends when he does what you want successfully.

Another key is to re-direct him immediately when you see he's even beginning to *think* about doing something he shouldn't. Show him what he should do, instead, and praise when he does. It becomes instinctual when you do it enough. Last night I watched some video I took at a dog park yesterday, and I would've probably sworn I hadn't said much of anything while there, but I heard myself saying "Good boy" every time my dog acted nicely with other dogs and ignored those who were in his face, etc. I am so used to saying those words I don't even realize it anymore. But the dog does.

Start there.

Another book I love, particularly for German Shepherd development, is The Art of Raising a Puppy by The Monks of New Skeet. It might still be worth a read. Much of this is going to fall onto you, so you have your work cut out for you. I do think you can likely turn it around! Even though you've had GSDs before, it sounds like you got one this time who may be more callgenging than most. It happens! You can do this...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter