• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Doing a sit down meal while traveling solo

BostonTigger

<font color=purple>I want the Swiss Family Treehou
I just thought of this while posting a responce just now. Do you eat at a nice sit down restaurant when traveling to WDW solo? I didn't when traveling on my last trip to WDW. I went solo for eight nights a year ago August and loved it. I didn't have to worry about what someone else wanted to do, or fight with little kids (no offence to those who have kids). I could do what I want, when I want and how I want. The only problem was eating alone. I always ate at their fast food places. I always felt that if I went to a nice sit down by myself I'd feel a little weired. What do you think? Do you do a sit by yourself and not worry about what people think, or do you try and meet up with other Dis'rs? I'm just currious.

Steven

Originally posted by BostonTigger
I just thought of this while posting a responce just now. Do you eat at a nice sit down restaurant when traveling to WDW solo?

I do. I was there for a week this past May and had a nice sit down lunch every day but one. I didn't do lunch because I was uncomfortable about dinner. I did lunch to get a nice break during the heat of the day.

If you like sit down meals, I say go for it!

Doing lunch instead of dinner is a little easier on the budget too.

Yes I usually include at least one sit down meal per day even when solo. Now, I've never done Brown Derby but I might do that next time.

I've eaten at Le Cellier, SciFi, Tonys, character meals like Crystal Palace and Hollywood and Vine. It's fun :)

Some times I will meet up with other DISers just because I love meeting them. I don't mind eating alone. Sometimes I will use the sit down time to make notes for a trip report.

I enjoy the sit-down restaurants when solo. I've dined at Ohana (a great place for a solo--entertainment during dinner), Coral Reef at Epcot (also entertaining watching the fish), Artists Point, Yachtsman, Brown Derby, Sci-Fi Drive In (great to watch the film clips!), Rainforest Cafe, Portobello, Fulton's. I usually eat lunch or dinner at a sit-down restaurant everyday, depending on what I'm doing. The CM's are really great and spend time chatting a bit. (One even sat down at my table once and wanted to know how I was spending my time alone. She was a bit envious!) ;) I went to a character breakfast solo and got lots of hugs from Eeyore and Tigger.
My first solo dining experience was a tad awkward, but when I looked around, I saw there were others also solo. The awkwardness passed, and now I enjoy dining solo. I can eat where/when/whatever I want! ;)

I ate solo at-

Brown Derby
Mama Melrose
The Plaza Restaurant
Liberty Tree Tavern
Restaurant Akerhus
Le Cellier

I can honestly say I never felt awkward or as if the staff was treating me poorly as a solo diner. I was fine with all of the tables I was sat at. I'm not really picky in that respect, but the only time I was "near the kitchen" was at The Plaza and I think part of the charm of that restaurant is the old fashioned swinging kitchen doors. There was one table of other Diners at the Brown Derby that I thought kinda looked at me funny, but I could have interpreted the look wrong and even if I didn't, who cares? Their problem, not mine.

I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are on your own in general. Honestly, I found it much more awkward waiting in the longer ride lines alone than sitting down to a meal.

Deb

I have been to WDW solo at least 4 times, not counting many solo days while DH golfed, and I've never really felt comfortable dining sit-down solo. I've tried it many times, and I'll try it again next time, with PS at LTT in less than a week. However, I'm usually more comfortable at counter serve and food courts. But then, even when DH and I are together, we're not really sit-down kind of people, more the counter serve type. But some people are perfectly fine. The ultimate success for me will be when I can do a character meal solo.

You guys are brave. I felt very awkward just sitting down outside to eat a snack at the Food & Wine fest a few days ago. And I've never seen a person eating solo at WDW. I'd like to see that; then maybe I'd be able to do it.

I am going on my first solo trip in December and I am asking myself the same question. I'm not sure I will be able to answer that question untill I am actually there and see how I feel about it.
One place I thought I might try is the Teppanyaki dining rooms, even if you go with someone else chances you will sit next to someone you won't know on one side of you. Another thing that might help me would be sitting at the counter, like at California Grill. I think I will gain confidence as my trip wears on hopefully.

Without this forum about solo travelers I don't think I would have even thought about a solo trip to begin with. It has been a great help.

Solo at a sit down restaurant is fine. I've been doing this for many, many years now. It always feels a little awkward, but the staff is usually nice and attentive.

If I waited for someone to do things with, I'd never do anything!

Being a frequent business traveller where eating alone is an everyday thing, I can offer these suggestions made by my co-worker female business travellers, who are uncomfortable eating dinner alone in a restaurant (I'm male, doesnt bother me):

1. You might be more comfortable eating at a convention hotel restaurant. Swan, Dolphin, CS, etc. Convention go'ers eat solo all the time.

2. Go early, a more empty restaurant is more comfy eating solo.

3. If dinner is just too awkward, order room service rather than
going to a fast food meal.

I've eaten at counter service when I've gone solo. However I would consider room service if my chosen accomodation had it.

In June 2002, I went on my first solo trip to WDW. And to say I had a great time would be an understatement! I enjoyed the whole trip and eating in several sit down resturants. I never felt out of place and the CM always did a great job of making me feel welcome and comfortable.

I ate at:
Maya Grill at Coronado Springs - good food

Hollywood and Vine - Character Breakfast with much attention from Goofy

Jiko for dinner - wonderful place, great food, great sevice

Le Cellier - loved it!

House of Blues for lunch -- I think this place is a find.

Captain Jack's -- I like this place - I know others don't but I have always had good food and good service

Bomas - a new favorite buffet

Maya Grill for Breakfast - nice buffet

Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch - wonderful food and great CM

One thing I enjoy doing is meeting people. Dinning solo does give me a chance to do just that. At Captain Jacks - eat at the bar, you will be seated with other solos or couples. I meet some great people from all walks of life. At Jiko I meet a group of women seated next to me and we talked about Disney. At Le Cellier I was seated next to a family from Colorado and the CM introduced us after he learned I was from Denver. Goofy decided that I need a lot of attention at Hollywood and Vine and came around several times and played with me! -- Where else can you be a child at 41.

I hope you decide to try a few sit down meals at WDW. I think you will be pleasantly surprise! Have a great time!

I've dined solo frequently and have been solo at WDW for the past 10 trips - and I have NEVER felt awkward while eating. In fact, I have had a fabulous time each and every time. I sometimes bring a book or a mag or just people watch. The service CMs usually go the extra mile and come over and chat. I've been asked to take pictures for other tables, which I am glad to do!

I've even had the fortunate experience to have other solo travelers (who appeared nervous) ask if they could join me at the meal - because they were uncomfortable.

As for the places I've eaten at the World - primarily sit-down restaurants, all of them that were around in 2000. Except for V&A's, which, unless somebody on the Boards takes me up on my offer to join me on Christmas Day, I'll also be eating at alone.

So have no fear all you solo traveller's - celebrate your singledom and your freedom to do what you want, when you want, and eat when and where you want, without fear, without discomfort, without having to wait for and on someone else!!! Show the world you are confident in your singledom. Rejoice in your ability to overcome your shyness. Live....Live...LIVE!!:smooth: :Pinkbounc :jester:

Hey guys, this is my first time on the solo posts because I'm contemplating going for a weekend alone as DH is taking two trips without me and kids 2x this year. Thanks for the positive restaurant reviews they are really giving me the courage to go ahead and have a solo trip, plus now I'm starving!

I have food allergies - so I generally don't eat out even at home - one of the reason that I brought DVC - the microwave and under the counter refrigeration in the studio (the one-bedroom and up has a complete kitchen - but I don't generally stay at a 1-bedroom when I go solo).

So I generally eat in my room - that way I know exactly what is in each item - makes it easier for me than eating out and getting sick.

Originally posted by spiceycat
I have food allergies - so I generally don't eat out even at home - one of the reason that I brought DVC - the microwave and under the counter refrigeration in the studio (the one-bedroom and up has a complete kitchen - but I don't generally stay at a 1-bedroom when I go solo).

So I generally eat in my room - that way I know exactly what is in each item - makes it easier for me than eating out and getting sick.

Spicey -

I can understand your food allergies, in a big way. I am allergic to nuts, fish (not shellfish but regular fish), and alcohol. The last causing me to go into anaphylactic shock:eek: :eek: .

One would think that based on this I would NEVER eat out, but I do because I can't live in fear but have to trust the restaurants to respect my requests. Now, it's true that my food may be a little bland at times, but the experience is well worth it. Some restaurants, especially the upscale ones, actually seem to enjoy the "challenge" of meeting my dietary restrictions - they get to be more creative. And I certainly enjoy their creativity. 've even learned to enjoy some foods that I never would have had the opportunity to eat if I had not ventured out.

So don't fret, Disney is here for you and they understand and will accommodate your needs.

HAVE FUN!

Thanks for the posts everyone, I really appreciate it. With all the stories about CM's being friendly to you and even Goofy taking extra turns with the solo people has really made me want to do a sit down on my next solo trip. Thanks again for all the info.

Steven

On my last night attending a conference on Disney property, I went to visit Animal Kingdom Lodge and had dinner solo at Jiko. I was seated at the chef's table, where I had a fantastic meal, as well as a great chat about menu items as they were being prepared and about the restaurant decor. Highly recommended!

I ate at MamaMelrose a few years back, and felt fine with it.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter